United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:06 PM
borsuk

Default what was your initial reaction to the news we had bid 17m for hargreaves?

it seems everyone is suddenly a fan... surely it wasn't like that in the beginning...

so, how many of the incisive analysts on here thought it was a waste of money, eh? if you need your memory jogging...

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=9000

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=6745

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=30373

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=29160

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:08 PM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
it seems everyone is suddenly a fan... surely it wasn't like that in the beginning...

so, how many of the incisive analysts on here thought it was a waste of money, eh? if you need your memory jogging...

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=9000

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=6745

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=30373

http://utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=29160
i always thought he'd be a good signing for us. wasn't happy about the fee though. Hargreaves did more good things in one game than Fletcher would do in a season. nft.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Whalefish

I snotted into my pants and then proceeded with a little caution.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:11 PM
believe

i just sat and nodded.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:12 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

I don't like knee jerk reactions and I am posting on this thread against my better nature but 17 million was £#%&!ing way too much for hargreaves and as he has only played 1 game for us which we lost and as we lost it from a goal from a midfielder running at our defense with out midfield managing to stop him I think this over smug validation of a player who has a 0% win record for united is a bit premature. I am sure that Hargreaves will be a valuable member of United's team this season but Ronaldo looked amazing on his debut and took a few years to bed in and at least we won that game.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Sloppy

Was chuffed.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:15 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Was chuffed.
is that rosie webster?

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:18 PM
koppas

Vio's response.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:20 PM
puressence

i did a little sex wee

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Ether

I thought it was too much, and still do. He had a very good game against an awful City midfield, so it's a bit early to call it money well-spent. But if he puts in that kind of performance against the big teams and in Europe then it certainly will be.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:21 PM
koppas

Who would've thought it though? Two years ago, he was being linked with Boro and was a laughing stock.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:22 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
I don't like knee jerk reactions and I am posting on this thread against my better nature but 17 million was £#%&!ing way too much for hargreaves and as he has only played 1 game for us which we lost and as we lost it from a goal from a midfielder running at our defense with out midfield managing to stop him I think this over smug validation of a player who has a 0% win record for united is a bit premature. I am sure that Hargreaves will be a valuable member of United's team this season but Ronaldo looked amazing on his debut and took a few years to bed in and at least we won that game.
come on, brl, no-one with any sense is evaluating hargreaves on the strength of one match. he's not an unknown quantity at the start of his career, like ronnie was, but an established england international with an impressive career at bayern behind him.

anyway, the point isn't to suggest he's the best thing since sliced bread. the point is to show how fickle some can be.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:26 PM
violater

Quote:
come on, brl, no-one with any sense is evaluating hargreaves on the strength of one match. .
are you drunk?

what is thread about and the fact it turned up after his first game?

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:28 PM
antonin jablonsky

Always thought it would be an excellent signing, thought it was over theodds price wise but that's what happens to United.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:29 PM
magic_cantona

I challenge anyone to find a negative post from me regarding Hargreaves.*

Always said he was quality.

*I'm aware that I may be setting myself up for a fall but, as far as I'm aware, I've always been a fan.

BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
come on, brl, no-one with any sense is evaluating hargreaves on the strength of one match. he's not an unknown quantity at the start of his career, like ronnie was, but an established england international with an impressive career at bayern behind him.

anyway, the point isn't to suggest he's the best thing since sliced bread. the point is to show how fickle some can be.
It is pretty well known that I am up there with the very best of them in being against the Hargreaves deal, this isn't because I hate the player but I think the fee was just £#%&!ing stupid, even by united standards it was 10 million too much. Hargreaves cost twice as much as Royston Drenthe for goodness sake.

Saying that he was a laughing stock for england unfairly for a long time but the pendulum swung too far the other way after the game against portugal when our wayne did some gonad stomping. He is a good player but Bayern saw us coming a mile away. As for the fickleness on this forum I think we all suffer from it a bit from time to time, I used to love SAF and now I wish he would just leave.

Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
is that rosie webster?
Yup

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:31 PM
khmk

i ate some toast.

i think...if it was a thursday i definitely ate some toast.

yep im going with toast.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:32 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater
are you drunk?

what is thread about and the fact it turned up after his first game?
i'll type it as clearly as i can

some people's views haven't changed.

some people's views have. this thread is pointing out how quickly they have changed their tone.

i think it's funny that one game in a united shirt is enough for people to go from 'a waste of money' to 'united legend in the making'. those are the people without any sense in their heads.

Unread 20-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Barca '91

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Always thought it would be an excellent signing, thought it was over theodds price wise but that's what happens to United.
I think Bedders and I were quite possibly the only United fans in the world pleased with his signing. I stand to be corrected but i think pure is chatting shite once again when he said he was happy with it

For the record I couldnt give a shit how much we spend on anyone anymore seeing as none of it is our money.
Closed Thread