United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Unread 04-01-2007, 07:18 PM
armchair

Default That kid that'll never grow up

mental age of a baby so the parents decided to keep her forever young. Ashley I think her name is. f***ing sick if you ask me. Soon we'll be wanting puppies that never grow up etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6229799.stm

Unread 04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
tatty

I feel for her parents as everyone will have an opinion on this and the half that don't agree are going to be brutal in their views.

For what it's worth I think that stopping the development into adulthood of a child with a mental age of 3 months is understandable if not desirable.

Shit decision either way.

Unread 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
mental age of a baby so the parents decided to keep her forever young. Ashley I think her name is. f***ing sick if you ask me. Soon we'll be wanting puppies that never grow up etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6229799.stm

on a positive note, bob dylan has already written a song about her

Unread 04-01-2007, 07:31 PM
elhombre

i can be a sarcastic, cynical, irreverant c*** sometimes, but even i have all the sympathy in the world for this girl and her parents.

What a f***ing shite hand they've been dealt.

Unread 04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
borsuk

Default i think that's one of the more repellent things i've read this week.

medical procedures on your children to make life easier for yourself? abhorrent.

the parents have a child to care for; the child has special needs. removing body parts because the parents may find certain aspects of the child's life difficult in the future is inhuman. i'm sure it would be easier for them if the child had no limbs and could be hooked up to an appropriate set of tubes for life - amputation, perhaps?

this has nothing to do with the child's comfort. how can anyone possibly claim to know what will be more 'comfortable' for such a person? removing breasts to make lying down more comfortable? removing a uterus because she won't need it? unbelievable.

the doctor who agreed to this should be struck off.

Unread 05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
armchair

freaks me out and set possibly the most dangerous precedent ever. madonna will be buying babies and keeping them cute and small before we know it.

Unread 05-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Skag Trendy

This will be the new must have toy for celebs to have.First it was small puppies next it will be forever young baby type things.

The whole thing is wrong in my opinion.

Unread 05-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Filliam H. Muffman

Thumbs up Good for them

She won't notice anyway.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
jem

Default I'm with filly

if she'd been aborted or left on a hill to die, this wouldn't even have made the papers.

if the parents were concerned about convenience, there's no f***ing way they'd be looking after her. seems to me these things were done with her wellbeing in mind and it's a bit unfair to call it inhuman / abhorrent just because you might not have made the same choice. they didn't remove the uterus because she won't need it.

what's natural about a three-month old mentality in an adult body anyway?

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if she'd been aborted or left on a hill to die

Would probably be for the best.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
armchair

I'm shocked anyone can condone this. It's like some sort of experiment a deranged nazi doctor would do.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Filliam H. Muffman

Quote:
I'm shocked anyone can condone this. It's like some sort of experiment a deranged nazi doctor would do.
Always with the nazi comparisons. You are now the loser in the discussion by default.

You automatically lose when you do that.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:25 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filliam H. Muffman
Always with the nazi comparisons. You are now the loser in the discussion by default.
maybe in your little received wisdom world but not mine.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

It is like something you'd read in one of those World Weekly News Magazines.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Filliam H. Muffman

Quote:
maybe in your little received wisdom world but not mine.

I'm shocked and appalled.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
jem

Quote:
again, I'm with filly. I bet you scream every time you go to the dentist, too.

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Filliam H. Muffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
This is shaping up to be a good day.

Unread 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if she'd been aborted or left on a hill to die, this wouldn't even have made the papers.
true. so what? the fact that worse things happen at sea has no relevance whatsoever.

Quote:
if the parents were concerned about convenience, there's no f***ing way they'd be looking after her. seems to me these things were done with her wellbeing in mind and it's a bit unfair to call it inhuman / abhorrent just because you might not have made the same choice. they didn't remove the uterus because she won't need it.
i'm not suggesting that convenience uber alles is the motive. if it was they would have not wanted a child, or would have drowned her. the reason for the operations, however, is the parents' convenience, not the child's. the parents should love and care for the child they have, not give hormones and remove perfectly functioning organs/body parts because it will be easier to carry the child around.

i have one person in my family who at birth was expected to live at best to the age of 5 or 6. he is now almost 50 and, contrary to the doctors' (very firmly expressed) claims, is relatively independent and lives a fruitful and happy life. caring for someone like that is not an easy task, and had the parents given the child up for care/adoption then i would be the first to defend them - recognising your own limitations is a brave thing to do. instead, they have decided to have dangerous* and unnecessary operations performed on their child to make caring easier. i think it is appalling.
Quote:
what's natural about a three-month old mentality in an adult body anyway?
it's natural because it happens. it's atypical, or abnormal if you prefer, but it's natural for various disorders to occur. what the parents are doing is not curing a disorder, but making their own lives easier through the mutilation of the child. i find it hard to express how immoral i find the whole situation.

* all operations requiring anaesthesia are dangerous. i well remember how petrified i was when my son had his tonsils out. i cannot understand for the life of me how any parent could agree to this kind of thing.

Unread 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
You could bet but you're already morally bankrupt.

Unread 05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
My Name is Keith

Default .

Borsuk,

again - spot on.
Closed Thread