United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
Closed Thread

Unread 14-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Magician
I sense an ultimate and final MasterFred competition coming on before this place closes. Bring back Newsie, Camel Toe etc.. Big Barry X will sort it!
Paul the red snapper scholes

Adore anything from the sea, rivers or lakes.... Not a huge fan of oysters but mussels in white wine with garlic and a crusty bread...... OMFG

Lobsters is nice, but slightly overated by price, west of Ireland has some great lobbos though.

Seafood - IN

Unread 14-05-2022, 12:40 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Magician
I sense an ultimate and final MasterFred competition coming on before this place closes. Bring back Newsie, Camel Toe etc.. Big Barry X will sort it!
After killing off FOTY, I think my days as an online host of virtual competitions are over Might join in though, for old times sakes. What could possibly go wrong?

Unread 14-05-2022, 02:25 PM
Fat Al

Like others on here, I hated it as a kid but now I'm a lot more into it.

Swordfish is nice. As Bunks says above, mussels in white wine & garlic is immense.
My Dads GF made a stunning beef & oyster pie once. Best pie ever.
I also had this weird sounding squid wrapped in sausage meat meal at a restaurant in France. It was bloody fantastic.

Unread 14-05-2022, 04:31 PM
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Did a tagine with cod and prawns in the week that’s the best seafood dish I’ve had to date. Takes some time getting used to cooking seafood the way it should be but the tagine method works really well. Literally seven minutes submerged in the sauce and both the cod and prawns were perfect.
I'm nabbing that idea. Yhgr

Unread 14-05-2022, 05:42 PM
pc6090

Eastbourne pier chippy does a lovely vegan banana leaf fish and chips

Unread 14-05-2022, 06:00 PM
Sharders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Ship On The Shore is absolutely sensational. Went last August bank holiday weekend and had the fruits de mer (after the mixed oyster starter) and it was magnificent. I can take or leave raw ouster’s tbh but I’m quite partial to the deep fried rockerfeller style ones (when in Rome I guess )
I am considerably richer than yow. Yeah, that looked epic. My Dad and his wife had it but due to a load of Hoorah Henry's doing something with the royal yacht Britannia down the road there weren't any lobsters left for us other commoners.

Great place though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Yep exactly the same and all over it now. My trip to the fish market is the highlight of my month.
Fascinating places, always look out for them on travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Crustaceans have gills.

Never eat benthic filter feeders.
Ha, true. My Mrs always insists on "prawns must have their poo shoot removed". Mussels are obviously filter feeders, just don't eat them near sewers, but I thought they did good enough job of filtering, dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Like COD in batter from the chippy

Don’t mind tinned salmon

Tried lobster once it was f***ing vile

Tried octopus once, it was like chewing on stretch Armstrong’s leg

Not keen
Unfortunately you're beyond help.

Also, couldn't eat an octopus, very intelligent. Remember at uni doing the home office course on killing animals humanely and they're protected due to their intelligence. Another one of them same time tomorrow

Unread 15-05-2022, 01:56 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharders
I am considerably richer than yow. Yeah, that looked epic. My Dad and his wife had it but due to a load of Hoorah Henry's doing something with the royal yacht Britannia down the road there weren't any lobsters left for us other commoners.

Great place though.

Fascinating places, always look out for them on travels.

Ha, true. My Mrs always insists on "prawns must have their poo shoot removed". Mussels are obviously filter feeders, just don't eat them near sewers, but I thought they did good enough job of filtering, dunno.

Unfortunately you're beyond help.

Also, couldn't eat an octopus, very intelligent. Remember at uni doing the home office course on killing animals humanely and they're protected due to their intelligence. Another one of them same time tomorrow
Back in the day we macerated some Mussels from Plymouth Sound, serially diluted the liquid and incubated some plates of E.coli (human gut form); even the massively diluted plates had plaques from E.coli bacteriophages that came from human sewage.....

Did my Ph.D on Octopus Nervous system - did not like it.

Will eat prawns, scallops, lobster, fish etc. but not mussels, oysters or cephalopods....

Unread 15-05-2022, 02:10 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Back in the day we macerated some Mussels from Plymouth Sound, serially diluted the liquid and incubated some plates of E.coli (human gut form); even the massively diluted plates had plaques from E.coli bacteriophages that came from human sewage.....

Did my Ph.D on Octopus Nervous system - did not like it.

Will eat prawns, scallops, lobster, fish etc. but not mussels, oysters or cephalopods....
Measly you may well be, but at least you've got a healthy digestive system

Unread 15-05-2022, 02:31 PM
tatty

Absolutely love shellfish, I could live on it.

Not octopus though, they’re amazing.

Unlike squid the shithouses.

Unread 15-05-2022, 02:43 PM
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc6090
Eastbourne pier chippy does a lovely vegan banana leaf fish and chips
Me neither.

Unread 15-05-2022, 03:16 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty

Squid are the bimbos of the molluscan world, cuttlefish are cool as f***. Octopus beats everything though.

Unread 15-05-2022, 10:37 PM
dinger

Will give anything from the sea a go, grill it, fry it, stew it, curry it, roast it….would give up most meats (except a good steak or rasher) if I had to survive on sea food.

Cooking sea food sorts the Keanes from the The Scottish Players

Unread 15-05-2022, 10:40 PM
Drexl

Cod is the absolute ***s my brothers nqat

Unread 16-05-2022, 04:05 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
Cod is the absolute ***s my brothers nqat
Gaming forum >>>>>>

Unread 16-05-2022, 06:28 AM
waynes ear's

backfill the f***ing sea

Unread 16-05-2022, 07:58 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty

Yeah but, do we need them?

Unread 17-05-2022, 02:25 PM
Sharders

Breaded whitebait. Wtf is that about. Found some seafood I don't like. A whole small fish and they give you about 50 of them. Biting into its tiny liver, bitter. Oysters please.

Unread 17-05-2022, 05:13 PM
Bunker Buster

Just got two bags of calamari...

Going to do a full bag with a dip RIGHT now

Unread 17-05-2022, 05:31 PM
believe

I had Frito Misto today which was my most daring dish so far. Fried whole squid, mackerel, prawns and scallops. Enjoyed it to start albeit a bit squeamish eating the full mackerel head, eyeballs and all, but got bored 3/4’s in. Wouldn’t recommend as a main, probably best as a shared starter.

Unread 17-05-2022, 05:44 PM
92ToBury

https://lewinnicklodge.co.uk/eat/menus/main-menu/

Can heartily recommend the moules frites and the crab, chilli and coriander risotto.
Closed Thread