Unread 06-12-2009, 08:55 PM
hopkins

Default Re: Roast Duck with spiced cabbage & Plum sauce

Unread 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Street Magician

Wow! Long day... here's the dinner!

First of all the ingredients: (most of)

Then some spiced cabbage while it was cooking.

Here's the duck after it had been fried then roasted then slowly simmered in red wine to finish it off and keep it pink and moist

The money shot(s)

Yum! The cabbage tasted like mulled wine! Result!

Unread 06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
red @rmy

Thumbs up Re: Roast Duck with spiced cabbage & Plum sauce

That looks spiffing maggers lad. yhgr

Unread 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Wez

Thumbs up Re: Roast Duck with spiced cabbage & Plum sauce

That duck looks perfect

Unread 21-01-2010, 10:46 AM
ReligiousRed

Maggers is clearly numero uno chef imo some lovely stuff, .......Im not a wine man Maggers so tell me mate, which Red should i be purchasing for my food ( to cook with ) like your lamb marinate and this duck ?

Unread 21-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Street Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed
Maggers is clearly numero uno chef imo some lovely stuff, .......Im not a wine man Maggers so tell me mate, which Red should i be purchasing for my food ( to cook with ) like your lamb marinate and this duck ?
My theory, which is completely subjective, is always use a wine you'd drink to cook with. THe better the wine, the better the food. Many would disagree.

For beef, I always use a Rioja (Faustino V is good and is always on offer) or Malbec (Argento is good but its almost doubled in price in the last year as people have cottoned on to how good it is).

Lamb, cabernet sauvignon or shiraz (avoid New Zealand though as its bloody expensive)

Duck? I buck the trend and use white wine for marinades as it's a sweet meat that matches a decent chardonnay (loads of melon, peach and gooseberry)

f*** me, I sound like a right ponce!
I'm off to drink some stella and smash something up!

Unread 21-01-2010, 01:44 PM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Magician
My theory, which is completely subjective, is always use a wine you'd drink to cook with. THe better the wine, the better the food. Many would disagree.

For beef, I always use a Rioja (Faustino V is good and is always on offer) or Malbec (Argento is good but its almost doubled in price in the last year as people have cottoned on to how good it is).

Lamb, cabernet sauvignon or shiraz (avoid New Zealand though as its bloody expensive)

Duck? I buck the trend and use white wine for marinades as it's a sweet meat that matches a decent chardonnay (loads of melon, peach and gooseberry)

Superb ! cheers Maggers, this has been C&P ready to print for next time im in the shops

Quote:
Closed Thread