United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 26-07-2022, 10:52 AM
believe

Question Gas ovens

Anyone got one? Just bought a new one and donít realize it was all gas because I just wanted the hobs.

For some reason it takes about 20 longer than it should to cook anything and everything cooks from the bottom. Any one got advice? Every YouTube video I find is some Nigerian woman just explaining how to turn it on.

This is the one Iíve got

picture hosting sites

Unread 26-07-2022, 11:08 AM
red red robbo

Put stuff in 20 minutes earlier than you normally would.

EDIT:

Seriously, I have had gas ovens for years until recently and I never found them to take any longer, although I've noticed a few ready cooked meals recently say to add five to ten minutes to the cooking time for gas ovens.

In a gas oven the heat is generated by a burner at the back in the bottom of the oven, so you do tend to get a hot spot there, whereas electric ovens have multiple elements down the side I believe. Try not to put anything too far back, especially if it's not on an oven tray.

Unread 26-07-2022, 11:10 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo

Also have gas. Its worse than a Dutch oven

Unread 26-07-2022, 11:11 AM
believe

Quote:
It meant to say %. We do have to leave everything longer but it doesnít seem to cook evenly. I wonder if itís something to do with where you put the tray

Unread 26-07-2022, 11:12 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
It meant to say %. We do have to leave everything longer but it doesnít seem to cook evenly. I wonder if itís something to do with where you put the tray
See my edit.

Unread 26-07-2022, 11:46 AM
redhegemony

Does it have a fan to circulate the heat?

Unread 26-07-2022, 11:51 AM
elhombre

Quote:

EDIT:

Seriously, I have had gas ovens for years until recently and I never found them to take any longer, although I've noticed a few ready cooked meals recently say to add five to ten minutes to the cooking time for gas ovens.

In a gas oven the heat is generated by a burner at the back in the bottom of the oven, so you do tend to get a hot spot there, whereas electric ovens have multiple elements down the side I believe. Try not to put anything too far back, especially if it's not on an oven tray.
A-up, lads, Fanny CradockĎs inÖ

Unread 26-07-2022, 11:53 AM
NedKelly

Quote: