United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 01-05-2022, 03:47 PM
Finport Red

Default Home brew

Anyone do/done a bit of this? Any tips? Just bought a kit, gonna brew some beer to drink along with my home-grown veg this year.

Unread 01-05-2022, 05:29 PM
TravellingRed

Yes. The kits are crap, if you are going to do it you need to go all grain or malt extract to get any kind of decent beer. The books by Graham Wheeler are a good start.

Unread 01-05-2022, 05:33 PM
Bunker Buster

It's absolutely shite, hth...

Better off going the offy

Unread 01-05-2022, 05:47 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
It's absolutely shite, hth...

Better off going the offy
Not if you do it properly, your just doing the same as a brewery but on a smaller scale. Kits are shite though, which is what you've probably tried.

Unread 01-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
Yes. The kits are crap, if you are going to do it you need to go all grain or malt extract to get any kind of decent beer. The books by Graham Wheeler are a good start.
Thanks mate. Iíll try the two kits Iíve bought first, get the hang of whatís supposed to go on, then move on to better things

Unread 01-05-2022, 06:47 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Thanks mate. Iíll try the two kits Iíve bought first, get the hang of whatís supposed to go on, then move on to better things
The kits with two cans are the better ones where you don't add sugar but you can still tell. Woodfords wherry is a better one. You'll always tell though unless you go all grain, them you'll brew it as good as you'll buy.

Unread 30-06-2022, 09:55 PM
Finport Red

Just bottled off my first batch of dark ale. Tastes all right so far, good and dark like the name suggests, so thatís a good thing. Think itís 4.5%.

Another few weeks doing second fermentation and weíll see what weíve got, 40 pints of tastyish ale, or the same amount of something akin to gearbox oil.

Itís the hope that kills you.

Unread 30-06-2022, 10:11 PM
Sharders

Got one of them Wilkos kits as a student in early 2000s. 24 litres of ~6% passable beer for about 12 quid. Still got the bucket. Did the job.

Unread 17-07-2022, 09:12 PM
Finport Red

Update - did the first bottle tasting on Thursday. It was ok. Friday was better and today itís really quite nice. The barrel ale is more like, well, ale. The bottles are a bit fizzier.

Well chuffed with how itís gone. Think I might have a new hobby.

Unread 17-07-2022, 09:45 PM
My Name is Heath

Used to make a load of home brew in Libya.

Done properly - it is better than anything youíll ever buy.

Happy memories.

One of our guys got busted for making home wine with grapes. Part of a feud between the guys who ran the camp and the guys who wanted to run the camp.

Caught him with about 10kg or grapes.

Ended up in a Libyan jail for 2 weeks. Lost about 10kgs. Had to pay guards and some local Mr Bigs to keep him safe. He made it out ok and married a Thai bird so needless to say, he had the last laugh.

Unread 17-07-2022, 09:47 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Used to make a load of home brew in Libya.

Done properly - it is better than anything youíll ever buy.

Happy memories.

One of our guys got busted for making home wine with grapes. Part of a feud between the guys who ran the camp and the guys who wanted to run the camp.

Caught him with about 10kg or grapes.

Ended up in a Libyan jail for 2 weeks. Lost about 10kgs. Had to pay guards and some local Mr Bigs to keep him safe. He made it out ok and married a Thai bird so needless to say, he had the last laugh.
Which Cub Scout troop were you in?

Unread 17-07-2022, 09:49 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Which Cub Scout troop were you in?

Blackley.

Run by JM - a top bloke and ended up head of European scouts or something.
Good footballer too. Could have made it if heíd had more pace.

Unread 17-07-2022, 09:54 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath

Blackley.

Run by JM - a top bloke and ended up head of European scouts or something.
Good footballer too. Could have made it if heíd had more pace.

Haha. Class.

Top scout was John Major. Knew all the knots.

When I was a kid, my dad used to make wine. Our roof space was like a scene from The Nutty Professor most weeks, with all sorts of things bubbling all round the place. For Ďfuní he used to take us out blackberry picking then, when we got home, off heíd go and turn it into wine. Appreciate what he was up to now. A man needs his hobbies.