United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Sparky***

Default So fergie says no signings in the January window..

....what do we all think of that then?

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Whalefish

We can sit back, relax and skin up.

Hurrah! Pip pip...

Or, he wants to add one or two but Utd are skint.

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
We can sit back, relax and skin up.

Hurrah! Pip pip...

Or, he wants to add one or two but Utd are skint.
I think money will be made available when required, but it has to be for the right player with the right profile, generally, unless someone unexpectedly becomes available or there is an emergency, January is not the time to find them.

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Whalefish

I will argue until proven otherwise that Utd need a new striker and they need one asap. Tevez needs or will need a rest very soon, Rooney's had a few problems this season and I'm not going to get into another Saha debate. All I'll say is that it's all ifs and buts with him. IMO he's all but finished at Utd.

A full back can arguably wait until the Summer when we'll also need to add to the centre of defence - especially if Wes goes. That said, current cover for Evra? O'Shea good enough?

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM
celtbion

On a positive, maybe this means he's confident that Gary Nev is back to full fitness.

With him, Simpson and Brown in tow, we should be fine there.

I'd still like a striker but I guess Ronaldo can perform there and with Park, Giggs and Nani we can cover his absence on the flanks in an emergency.

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
dodger

Quote:
I will argue until proven otherwise that Utd need a new striker and they need one asap. Tevez needs or will need a rest very soon, Rooney's had a few problems this season and I'm not going to get into another Saha debate. All I'll say is that it's all ifs and buts with him. IMO he's all but finished at Utd.
We've got Fu Manchu

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Kim Jong-il

Buzzing we're not buying that poor mans Nistelroy. We should buy Anelka tho.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
We've got Fu Manchu
He's not going to qualify for a permit. Off out on loan if reports are correct. Until the Summer anyway.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

He's said before a left back is the only cover he's considering. Can't believe he's content with only three strikers and still wants to win the European Cup and League.

If one of Tevez or Rooney gets injured in March or April it will get seriously hairy.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Whalefish

As hairy as a gorilla or as hairy as Robin Williams?

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
He's said before a left back is the only cover he's considering. Can't believe he's content with only three strikers and still wants to win the European Cup and League.

If one of Tevez or Rooney gets injured in March or April it will get seriously hairy.
Ronaldo or Giggs up front if that happens.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
koppas

Hutton in the summer then. Along with Berbatov. nft.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Ronaldo or Giggs up front if that happens.
Wonderful. Prolific Giggs.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

i agree completely. I still think he is in the market. He always says we are not going to sign anyone and he doesnt specifically say that we are NOT going sign anyone just that "we would have to be signing someone though wouldnt we?" or something along those lines.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
As hairy as a gorilla or as hairy as Robin Williams?
What's the difference? Apart from the fact that a Gorilla is funnier.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
What's the difference? Apart from the fact that a Gorilla is funnier.
Wum. Williams is far hairier.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

They say teen wolf is losely based on his school years. Tragic film.

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
They say teen wolf is losely based on his school years. Tragic film.
Yup. Used to really piss me off when folk said it was a comedy. A comedy ffs!!

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
dunk

Quote:

A full back can arguably wait until the Summer when we'll also need to add to the centre of defence - especially if Wes goes. That said, current cover for Evra? O'Shea good enough?
I agree that A forward, A Left/Right Back and maybe even a further option in Centre Midfield are required.

The point is that the players we should be looking at for these positions are not available in January, for a forward we want someone up and coming such as Benzema or Huntelaar, but clubs won't sell such integral players in January.

We have seen over the years that they won't just buy who's available, they buy who they want. When you consider the midfield problem of a few years ago, Gravesen, Parker and players off that nature were touted, but he perservered with what he had until he could et what he wanted.

We now have 4 wingers, so Ronaldo playing through the middle (where he will eventually end up) is not a ridiculous thought. We can also play with 3 up top, 2 wingers and a striker, so we are covered there for the time being.

As we are at full back, Evra, Brown, Simpson, O'Shea & Pique can all play there, even Fletcher did a job towards the end of last season.

So there is nothing to suggest we need to panic buy, so we should keep our powder dry and attack long term targets in the summer. IMO

Unread 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Whalefish

I'm not sure about it being an up and comer tbh. Rooney and Tevez looks to be the first choice partnership, Fergie has signed this Angolan lad so IMO he'll want someone who can offer something different to the main two but also be happy with a spot on the bench. Huntelaar may but there's no way on earth the lad from Lyon will. Moreover, I very much doubt Utd can tempt him or afford him.

Reports are correct it's a stright battle between AC Milan and Madrid.

FWIW Huntelaar could be brought now. Ajax are in the shit financially and would not object to a sale IMO. If the money was right.
Closed Thread