United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:22 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Says who? The consensus is building that it is in fact Jones best position and he's played much better for United there than what less and less people are considering his best position at CB.
And he's only 19 and improving in that position with each performance.

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Says who? The consensus is building that it is in fact Jones best position and he's played much better for United there than what less and less people are considering his best position at CB.
Me

Do you really think that if we'd actually bought a midfielder in the summer he'd be playing anywhere but defence?

Not sure about this mythical consensus either, is it the same group of people who think we need midfielders signed next month? that sounds contradictory to me...

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:23 PM
rafabio

Jones will be found out against top class central midfielders. Wolves at home where they hardly gave a go is not the game to measure him.

I think fulham away might be the test for him if he plays in central midfield. But I expect giggs to get the nod for that game.

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:24 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Jones could play midfield, as could Rooney they are both talented football players.

snot their best positions though...
I agree fwiw.

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:24 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Me

Do you really think that if we'd actually bought a midfielder in the summer he'd be playing anywhere but defence?

Not sure about this mythical consensus either, is it the same group of people who think we need midfielders signed next month? that sounds contradictory to me...
Not sure he'd be playing at all, as his performances in central defence have been very shaky. Maybe RB with Smallers at CB.

Not contradictory to want midfielders bought, we need a stronger squad and another midfielder or two to complement Pip n' Carrick, it's not like Anderson or Fletcher are gonna be long term options is it.

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:26 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
Jones will be found out against top class central midfielders. Wolves at home where they hardly gave a go is not the game to measure him.

I think fulham away might be the test for him if he plays in central midfield. But I expect giggs to get the nod for that game.
He's struggled at CB against lesser teams already.

With Cahill coming in January it'll see the move into midfield made permanent I expect.

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:31 PM
rafabio

Quote:

With Cahill coming in January it'll see the move into midfield made permanent I expect.

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I agree fwiw.
feck all

AJ's getting evangelistic about it now, he's a runaway train that won't stop until The End of the Line...

...or Square Peg as it's often called

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:35 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:36 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
feck all

AJ's getting evangelistic about it now, he's a runaway train that won't stop until The End of the Line...

...or Square Peg as it's often called
Actually i'm not, kinda joking about it. I do think it can go either way with him, that he's played better in midfield than at CB so far and that he'll likely play more in midfield than CB this season.

Unread 13-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Actually i'm not, kinda joking about it. I do think it can go either way with him, that he's played better in midfield than at CB so far and that he'll likely play more in midfield than CB this season.

I think he's looked ok as well tbf, just think it's being done out of desperation rather the optimum choice

Unread 13-12-2011, 01:43 PM
The Return of JC

I think he's been good in both. For now, not really arsed where his best position is. The midfield needs help and the fact is he has played well there when he's been selected. So if he's picked there, I'm happy enough for now. Carrick and Jones have done well as a partnership. Thankful for small mercies, tbh.

Unread 13-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Harri Jaffa

I guess the obvious question is; if we'd signed Scott Parker...

Unread 13-12-2011, 10:26 PM
jem

Quote:

rather buy tim cahill and play jones in defence.