United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: what will turn out to be phil jones' best position?
defensive midfielder 6 15.38%
centre-half 24 61.54%
right back 0 0%
he'll play all over the place, do a job and never have a best position (o'shea/pip neville) 6 15.38%
part of a back three with out to in scrambling wing-backs and a strolling libero 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Libero/Sweeper/Baresi type character. If he's not then we will have wasted his potential.
fullbacks and a sweeper ffs

Unread 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM
borsuk

the reason i put the poll up this morning is that i've been thinking that he's a better fit in midfield than centre half, at least at the moment, and was pretty sure we'd see him there again today.

as has been said, he's got much more opportunity to get forward from midfield and his occasional errors in positioning and so on (choosing the wrong moment to charge up) are less costly there. of course he's just a baby really and got loads to learn but i wonder if midfield isn't a more natural position for him.

Unread 10-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the reason i put the poll up this morning is that i've been thinking that he's a better fit in midfield than centre half, at least at the moment, and was pretty sure we'd see him there again today.

as has been said, he's got much more opportunity to get forward from midfield and his occasional errors in positioning and so on (choosing the wrong moment to charge up) are less costly there. of course he's just a baby really and got loads to learn but i wonder if midfield isn't a more natural position for him.
Carrick is a good fit alongside him in that role, very steady, positionally intelligent and has the passing ability to find the forwards from deep. Carrick for me has been terrific this season after the Benfica away game, looks back to his best.

Back to Jones. Those surging runs from deep cause such damage to the opposition, they are the reason why I back Anderson, a midfielder who can make those bursts is so valuable in breaking down defences.

If Utd move towards a 4-3-3, Cleverely perhaps along with the 2 today, the midfield would have a very nice natural balance, a deep lying playmaker in Carrick, a powerful box to box runner in Jones and the ability to link with the front men of Cleverley.

Unread 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
originalhogg

Superb today, player of the season so far!

Unread 10-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
If Utd move towards a 4-3-3, Cleverely perhaps along with the 2 today, the midfield would have a very nice natural balance, a deep lying playmaker in Carrick, a powerful box to box runner in Jones and the ability to link with the front men of Cleverley.
That does sound very good. Its a midfield that doesn't seem to lack anything.

The obvious thing is whether they can gel, but I'd love to see Fergie try them as a three when Cleverley comes back. Get Rafael fit and put Smalling next to Rio at centre-back and that could be a very decent side.
Closed Thread