United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Rossi the Red

Thumbs up Anyone seen this yet...Take over a football club!

A website aimed at recruiting 50,000 fans to take over a football club has attracted over 13,000 members in the fortnight since its launch.

MyFootballClub wants people to pay £35 in a bid to raise £1.4m to buy a team, with each member an equal partner.

Members will have a vote on transfers, player selection and all major decisions affecting the club.

"We're over a quarter of the way there. It has been an amazing response," creator Will Brooks told BBC Sport.

I've always had the notion of a group of fans putting money into a club and not taking it out

MyFootballClub creator Will Brooks

Brooks added: "We can't wait to get on with the business of buying a club for the members.

"We will be instructing an international law firm, with specific football expertise, to oversee this.

"We have had offers from several television companies to tell the MyFootballClub story but we have put these on hold because this is exactly the kind of decision the members will make."

A former football journalist, Brooks, 36, now works as a copywriter but has spent the last two years developing the website idea.

"I have met several club owners and ex-managing directors of Championship and Premiership clubs, all of whom were captivated by the concept and believed it to be workable," said Brooks, who is a Fulham supporter.

Over the last few years a number of Premiership clubs - Manchester United, Aston Villa and Liverpool - have been the subject of corporate takeovers and Brooks hopes his scheme will allow fans greater participation in the running of a club.

"I've always had the notion of a group of fans putting money into a club and not taking it out. It is a potent force for good as most owners look at clubs as a way of making money."

The website has a list of 15 clubs that supporters want to buy, with Leeds United, who have been relegated to League One, currently top of the list.

http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Skag Trendy

Yea hwas laughing about it the other day.

FCUM will have some rivals soon.

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Rossi the Red

Imagine if it was leeds that the website take over! You could pick shit players to buy, good players to sell! Would be great!

Their fans would be furious that a website runs their whole club!

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM
punk_football

MUFC - One love

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Astuteboy

http://myfootballclub.co.uk/faq.php

“No manager… you serious?”

Absolutely. In England we’ve had over 120 years of managers picking teams, so for one football club to try something new isn't being hasty.

Our Head Coach will be in an enviable and unique position. He will be able concentrate on coaching and getting the best out of players, without being accused of picking the wrong team or formation.

Funniest thing I've seen in a while; I suspect not too many people will be crazy enough to actually hand over £35 when they reach 50k members.

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
dakpul

ridiculous idea and it wont ever happen.

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
they could buy fc united

Now that would be funny.

They would form another breakaway club United Football Club of Manchester and their fans can have a rivalry with FCUM.

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Rossi the Red

I'll be in the dugout with my duffle coat kicking water bottles all over the place!

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:57 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
they could buy fc united
Err, no they couldn't

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Err, no they couldn't
They could if the "board" all agree with it at their local meeting in the Bury youth club

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
They could if the "board" all agree with it at their local meeting in the Bury youth club
I'll say this nice and slowly for the hard of thinking amongst us.

NO. THEY. COULDN'T.

It would need the agreement of the members, not just the board. That is the whole point of the £#%&!ing club and what you singularly fail to understand again and again.

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
I'll say this nice and slowly for the hard of thinking amongst us.

NO. THEY. COULDN'T.

It would need the agreement of the members, not just the board. That is the whole point of the £#%&!ing club and what you singularly fail to understand again and again.

Sorry i used the word "board" to include the members.I thought it was all just one big boys club where everyone has an equal say?

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Sorry i used the word "board" to include the members.I thought it was all just one big boys club where everyone has an equal say?
The board handle the day to day running of the club.

The members choose the board and set the broad strategy, including things like sponsorship, ticket prices, community involvement.

I'm not sure if there is actually anything to "sell". You have to pay an annual membership so the "ownership" of the club effectively varies from year to year depending upon who signs up for membership.

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
No they couldn't because, and I will put this in big text[SIZE="4"] FC UNITED IS NOT FOR SALE. You remember not for sale don't you?

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:58 AM
the heathen

A greyhound would be cheaper...

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
[SIZE="4"] FC UNITED IS NOT FOR SALE
arf

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
nei

Can you stop quoting that thick @#%&!, there is an ignore option for a reason

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
Can you stop quoting that thick @#%&!, there is an ignore option for a reason

[SIZE="7"]WIBBLE WIBBLE

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Spiffy

Skag Trendy,

I'm amazed at your hostility to FC. You have a snipe at every opportunity. I'm sure you've been asked this before but what are your plans for getting rid of the Glazer's? Or is it a case of "I can afford my ticket so £#%&! the rest"?

It's all very well telling people where they're going wrong, come up with some solutions yourself.

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
what are your plans for getting rid of the Glazer's?
I have no plan,its the same United as its always been.

Do you have a plan that doesnt involve turning your back on United?
Closed Thread