United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
This is such nonsense.

Reminds of the Ole Gunnar Solskjær table of 2018-19. We all know how that ended up.

Zero trophies, shit football, lose every semi final, loads of humiliations. Get us off this train asap please.

What has he done?

Two 66 pts finishes with the squad and money he has? Garbage football, no silverware. This is what he's done??

Have our standards really been lowered to this degree?
He's the manager, and long may it stay that way. He's done a cracking job thus far in terms of results, goals and rebuilding the squad. I hope the day we win a trophy under his management you will be able to just enjoy it and not resent the fact that you've been made to look like a mug after spending months posting like a massive @#%&!.

Unread 26-02-2021, 01:36 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
There will be no director of football at United (as I’ve pointed out since such nonsense talk first surfaced).

The feast or famine player budget, our curious wage structure, what manner of DOF would associate themselves with such a strategy? How would Ed explain it to him without exposing some sort of blag?

Fergie and Gill were cheek and jowl with the owners. It was the only way. ‘No value’.

They embodied the continuity a DOF would provide. The obvious inference is that only a long term insider can flourish at this club.

I don’t know if Ole is in cahoots with Ed. But I’d be surprised if he is ignorant of the landscape. And at least he can plan around it. You can deride him as a yes man all you like, but at some point you have to grasp the Glazer nettle.

Cream Creamerson for The Athletic.
I think it's safe to assume he's bent Fergie's ear on many aspects of the job.

Unread 26-02-2021, 02:30 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
as much as i don't rate Ole as a coach our current predicament could be improved if we had more experienced coaches working alongside him.

i know everyone has a different way of working but if we really want to be a top team again, competing for and winning trophies, i'm not convinced our current coaching is up to it.

then there's the lack of Director of Football, every other top club in Europe as someone with experience and a pretty hefty contact book in that position and we have no-one unless you count Woodward and maybe Judge, yet we expect the best outcomes
What’s all this “we” %@#$&!s?

Unread 26-02-2021, 02:41 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
I think it's safe to assume he's bent Fergie's ear on many aspects of the job.
Undoubtably. And Fergie has let the board know Ole can be trusted to toe the line.

It's making a deal with the devil, but that's where we're at as a club.

The only thing that makes me question the scenario I've outlined is the hiring of Mourinho. A man who will throw anyone and everyone under the bus to protect himself from scrutiny. You couldn't have picked a worse manager if you're going to keep him in the dark about transfer budgets etc.

Unread 26-02-2021, 02:43 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Undoubtably. And Fergie has let the board know Ole can be trusted to toe the line.

The only thing that makes me question the scenario I've outlined is the hiring of Mourinho. A man who will throw anyone and everyone under the bus to protect himself from scrutiny. You couldn't have picked a worse manager if you're going to keep him in the dark about transfer budgets etc.
I suspect deadwood had convinced the Glazers that he was a man to bring instant trophies to help boost the share price. Probably stabbed Fergie in the back with the "can't be worse than when he picked Moyes" snide.

Unread 26-02-2021, 02:55 PM
utd99

Quote:

I think that was probably the moment where Woodward realised the job was beyond him and panicked. The success narrative surrounding Mourinho has tempted loads of people in football to avoid taking a closer look at him. Pundits included.

Unread 26-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Vida_15

Ole must feel cursed ....

our cup draws this seaon

CL.....Paris and Leipzig
Carabao....Everton and City
FA Cup.....Liverpool, West Ham, Leicester
Europa.....Sociedad, Milan

he's got the second leg of Milan and 3 days later the FA Cup Qtrs with Leicester

Unread 26-02-2021, 06:50 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
Ole must feel cursed ....

our cup draws this seaon

CL.....Paris and Leipzig
Carabao....Everton and City
FA Cup.....Liverpool, West Ham, Leicester
Europa.....Sociedad, Milan

he's got the second leg of Milan and 3 days later the FA Cup Qtrs with Leicester
No, mate. He’s a semi final bottler. Nothing more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think that was probably the moment where Woodward realised the job was beyond him and panicked. The success narrative surrounding Mourinho has tempted loads of people in football to avoid taking a closer look at him. Pundits included.
‘Serial winner’

Not recently.

Unread 26-02-2021, 07:00 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No, mate. He’s a semi final bottler. Nothing more to it.
tbf...the players are the one who've bottled it mate, not Ole but i may be getting a hint of sarcasm.

just think getting to that many semifinals is pretty impressive for a guy who is a PE teacher

Unread 26-02-2021, 07:44 PM
Medlock

Quote:
What’s all this “we” %@#$&!s?
It's the Tronics "rein in the WUM a bit" post. He does it all the time.

Unread 26-02-2021, 08:04 PM
dunk

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
as much as i don't rate Ole as a coach our current predicament could be improved if we had more experienced coaches working alongside him.

i know everyone has a different way of working but if we really want to be a top team again, competing for and winning trophies, i'm not convinced our current coaching is up to it.

then there's the lack of Director of Football, every other top club in Europe as someone with experience and a pretty hefty contact book in that position and we have no-one unless you count Woodward and maybe Judge, yet we expect the best outcomes
Yeah, Mike Phelan is horribly short on experience

The DoF thing only works with the right bloke. There’s some right duck eggs like the Nigerian fella at Chelsea, the bloke that got sacked at Spurs etc. It’s not the be all and end all you make it out to be by any stretch. If you’re expecting to change manager every 12 minutes then fair enough, you want that stability above the ‘head coach’ position, but a proper manager should be in charge of the lot. At a club of United’s size and financial position it takes serious time for the manager’s influence to permeate everything, to get the right people in the right positions on and off the pitch, and for the required changes and expectations to be ingrained and understood. Just as it takes time in charge for that manager to gain the level of respect that gets them the control throughout the club for it to work.

Ole is on the right track, especially having to clear up the long term damage done by the Mourinho era in particular, IMO, consistent in message and mood, knows the characters he wants within the club, who he trusts etc. Still got plenty to do in changing personnel (not just playing staff) and is learning on the fly, nqat, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

The thing that needs addressing is the Woodward/Judge recruitment nonsense, but that’s driven by Joel Glazer, so Ole has to work with it. It’s no wonder they’re somewhat nervous when it comes to transfer outlay following the #@&%! made of it by Moyes, LvG and Mou, along with their meddling and shit advice from agents. As time progresses, the more scouting is done, the more successful his signings prove to be, the more the club improves, the more Ole’s judgement and wants are respected by Glazers and the more astute the scouting/player judgement/planning becomes (rather than haphazardly buying what we can) the better and more solid the club and progress becomes.

It won’t be a linear progression, there’ll be ups, downs, great signings, poor signings, poor results, disappointments and a whole heap of highs, as it should be.

It’s a patience game United are playing, and I’m all in

Unread 26-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
It's the Tronics "rein in the WUM a bit" post. He does it all the time.
Refuse to believe he's a 2007 sleeper wum. The original account must have been hijacked by a) jilted lover b) child c) someone with serious special needs d) all of the above

Unread 26-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yeah, Mike Phelan is horribly short on experience

The DoF thing only works with the right bloke. There’s some right duck eggs like the Nigerian fella at Chelsea, the bloke that got sacked at Spurs etc. It’s not the be all and end all you make it out to be by any stretch. If you’re expecting to change manager every 12 minutes then fair enough, you want that stability above the ‘head coach’ position, but a proper manager should be in charge of the lot. At a club of United’s size and financial position it takes serious time for the manager’s influence to permeate everything, to get the right people in the right positions on and off the pitch, and for the required changes and expectations to be ingrained and understood. Just as it takes time in charge for that manager to gain the level of respect that gets them the control throughout the club for it to work.

Ole is on the right track, especially having to clear up the long term damage done by the Mourinho era in particular, IMO, consistent in message and mood, knows the characters he wants within the club, who he trusts etc. Still got plenty to do in changing personnel (not just playing staff) and is learning on the fly, nqat, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

The thing that needs addressing is the Woodward/Judge recruitment nonsense, but that’s driven by Joel Glazer, so Ole has to work with it. It’s no wonder they’re somewhat nervous when it comes to transfer outlay following the #@&%! made of it by Moyes, LvG and Mou, along with their meddling and shit advice from agents. As time progresses, the more scouting is done, the more successful his signings prove to be, the more the club improves, the more Ole’s judgement and wants are respected by Glazers and the more astute the scouting/player judgement/planning becomes (rather than haphazardly buying what we can) the better and more solid the club and progress becomes.

It won’t be a linear progression, there’ll be ups, downs, great signings, poor signings, poor results, disappointments and a whole heap of highs, as it should be.

It’s a patience game United are playing, and I’m all in
Poty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Refuse to believe he's a 2007 sleeper wum. The original account must have been hijacked by a) jilted lover b) child c) someone with serious special needs d) all of the above
I think he is. Long term Arsenal wum or something. Him and marls. Abaf style.

Would be more surprised to find out he’s a united fan - put it that way.

Unread 26-02-2021, 08:48 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
‘Serial winner’

Not recently.
But quite a bit more recently when we took him on tbf.

Unread 27-02-2021, 09:33 AM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
He's the manager, and long may it stay that way. He's done a cracking job thus far in terms of results, goals and rebuilding the squad. I hope the day we win a trophy under his management you will be able to just enjoy it and not resent the fact that you've been made to look like a mug after spending months posting like a massive @#%&!.

It would be the best climbdown ever. It's sad that any critic is accused of hating the club and wanting it to fail just because of an opinion.

I have always said I hope i'm wrong but the guy is simply not good enough. We will not win shit with him. No point arguing about this further if you can't see what's in front of you. You call others a @#%&! yet refer to two seasons of finishing on 66 pts and losing EVERY single game of consequence bar the Leicester away game final day last season. Zero trophies. Cracking results. I guess this is what you are happy with these days.

Speaks volumes that there are many whining about cup draws being hard, already laying the groundwork to explain further failures to win the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
3rd last year.
2nd this year?

against teams like Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, City...

i'd take that.

it's not like he's inherited a squad and club that was flying high before hand... i don't get your point.
He inherited a team that had won trophies and finished 2nd with 81 pts the season before.

We've literally done nothing for over 2 years. By the way 2nd place this season is not done and dusted. We're still on a downward trajectory league wise, a team better than Newcastle would have taken more points from us last weekend the way we played.

Unread 27-02-2021, 09:37 AM
utd99

Quote:
It would be the best climbdown ever. It's sad that any critic is accused of hating the club and wanting it to fail just because of an opinion.

I have always said I hope i'm wrong but the guy is simply not good enough. We will not win shit with him. No point arguing about this further if you can't see what's in front of you.

Speaks volumes that there are many whining about cup draws being hard, already laying the groundwork to explain further failures to win the cup.

He inherited a team that had won trophies and finished 2nd with 81 pts the season before.

We've literally done nothing for over 2 years. By the way 2nd place this season is not done and dusted. We're still on a downward trajectory league wise, a team better than Newcastle would have taken more points from us last weekend the way we played.
You should boycott in protest.

Unread 27-02-2021, 09:39 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

I have always said I hope i'm wrong but the guy is simply not good enough. We will not win shit with him. No point arguing about this further if you can't see what's in front of you. You call others a @#%&! yet refer to two seasons of finishing on 66 pts and losing EVERY single game of consequence bar the Leicester away game final day last season. Zero trophies. Cracking results. I guess this is what you are happy with these days.

Unread 27-02-2021, 09:49 AM
dunk

Quote:

We’re in the midst of the gestation of a new side, the youngest in the league last year IIRC. The management are righting the wrongs of the previous regime, steadying and turning the ship gradually. The major components of this team are way off their pomp and overworked due to a lack of quality in depth. We’re moving in the right direction and the manager, who the players all seem to adore and work for, is the driving force behind that. No point arguing about this further if you can't see what's in front of you.

And nobody has complained about the EL or FA Cup draws, most are delighted we’re playing a top club like Milan, it’s more been a case of people finding it amusing/ridiculous that we consistently get the toughest available draw.

Unread 27-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Never in doubt, pal.

Hopefully you’re wrong for once and we can enjoy future success.
The “hope I’m wrong line” so when we do win he can claim it and not admit his shortcomings. When we inevitably don’t sign haaland you can expect him to point the blame to ole

Unread 27-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
So it was our fault then?

The reason no one’s taking you seriously - and to be clear, I still don’t think you actually believe what you’re peddling - is that your assertion of no improvement is clearly madness. Supporters actually want to watch again, actually looking forward to matches again, finally able to get behind a team we can identify with again. After six years of misery, we can finally see a way forward again.

The points tally is improving; the league position is improving. Yeah, we’re not properly competing yet, and there’s much about this team that’s lacking, but Ole didn’t start out from square 1, he started out from square minus 20, because that’s what it took to lance the boil and drain the poison this club had become - much if it down to the infection Mourinho has become.

That’s worth a hell of a lot more than a league cup here or a charity shield there.

In fairness, I wouldn’t mind if it weren’t five times harder for us to win a domestic cup than City or Chelsea for a change.

Possibly the very reason why our previous managers got sacked; Sorry - why the “relationship ended”. So which is it, good reason or bad reason?

Difference is, Ole is second with an upwards points trajectory while Mou was 6th and we were going down the toilet.
And another great post.

Not sure this is what saffers was expecting tbh. Ole, a manger who generates a united spirit amongst our support. Compared to the £#%&!ing ghoul.
Closed Thread