United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-10-2021, 04:38 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Who gives a flying £#%&! about unbeaten away wins? Last time I checked there were no trophies handed out for it. It was for a while a nice symbol of our resilience, but ultimately pointless.

We rightly take the piss out of the "Invincibles" but at least they came away with a league title.
I am aware of all that, but felt the need to point out it was actually a decent achievement nonetheless - in the face of all the above "it meant nothing" retconning.

Unread 18-10-2021, 07:14 PM
Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Agree with the post but the last sentence I don't think so. The previous managers were all very high risk, even at the time.

Moyes - obviously.
LvG - I was more excited than at any time post-Fergie but still was wondering whether he might be just a little past it for top level club management
Mou - what were we thinking.
Ole - a caretaker at best.

The question is of course can we trust a club ownership that has got it wrong so many times? I've no idea but I don't think standing still is an option.

Loved the idea of Ole. Not so much the reality. And a lot that has come out his mouth lately hasn't sat right with me. Not just the Glazer or Rashford stuff, but his take on what's going wrong. Incredibly basic.
Yep, one common denominator is that the ownership has made the wrong appointments - leading us each time to this situation.

The loss in the EL final did it for Ole for me - it was a crucial stepping stone (we all acknowledge Fergie in 1990 with that FA Cup being the turning point). It sealed his fate and he hasn't shook it off - you can tell. Nothing will detract from him as a player but you reach the point where you want the misery to end for him.

As others have said, Chelsea sacked Lampard but Tuchel inherited a sound structure. You just don't get that sense at United. Nothing will change until that does.

Unread 18-10-2021, 08:06 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
but you reach the point where you want the misery to end for him.
That's where I'm at now. There's no saving face from here, it's just staving off the inevitable. Just want it over with. Absolutely gutted for him, it's shit but it's what needs to be done.

He was a bit stiff to lose that final, ffs it took the 22nd penalty, but it's done now.

Unread 18-10-2021, 10:14 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I am aware of all that, but felt the need to point out it was actually a decent achievement nonetheless - in the face of all the above "it meant nothing" retconning.
But it did mean nothing and it wasn't an achievement (which to me implies reaching an objective).

Its just a random bullshit piece of trivia. No more meaningful than setting a record 6th partnership for two left handed batsmen or something

Unread 18-10-2021, 10:36 PM
marlo

you think pogba doesn’t start for the current world champions at national level....

No good football can be played while pogba is at the club....

Unread 18-10-2021, 10:44 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Two managers now failed to get a regular tune out of him. He's been one of our best players this season, but it's a bit world's tallest dwarf innit.
Closed Thread