United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 01-10-2021, 12:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He's not competing soley for Bruno's slot though.....

Been explained many times he can play anywhere in midfield and has from the age of 6 at Ajax....
Means nowt. Evra was a winger at 6, you wouldn’t have played him there as a professional, for instance.

Unread 01-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Bunker Buster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
sorry, but he is simply not credible as a dm. probably hasn't grown since he was six, for starters.
Oh I'm sorry Ajax academy, dIdnt realise you were over from De Toekomst...

Unread 01-10-2021, 12:31 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Lingard has done far more in limited minutes this season than Donny has done in his whole United career
A goal and two assists? One was the assist for the winner for young boys?

Unread 01-10-2021, 12:33 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
The goal and assist both extremely important ones. Even Beekys biggest fans can’t claim he’s done much on the pitch that has really mattered yet?

20LEgend1999

Got a feeling he'll start tomorrow

dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
2 goals.

Unread 01-10-2021, 12:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
The goal and assist both extremely important ones. Even Beekys biggest fans can’t claim he’s done much on the pitch that has really mattered yet?
He's scored and assisted....

Unread 01-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Dr Stranger

I think we’re needlessly saying ‘defensive midfielder’ too. For about the one millionth time, neither The Scottish Player or Fred are defensive. Fred works hard and can be tenacious and this offers a certain amount of protection. He also gives the ball away a lot and has a poor passing range, which puts his defence under pressure. He takes away from the defence as much as he adds to it, especially in the form he’s in.

The Scottish Player has energy, but he’s better in the attacking third, driving from midfielder. He again is not very good on the ball, or at least inconsistent, and he doesn’t read the game particularly well. He’s a box to box midfielder.

Matic is easily the most defensive minded of the lot and the best on the ball. He just can’t run. His best form of defence is his ability on the ball and to read the game.

Which brings us to Donny…. He’s more like Matic In that sense, he has the ability to read the game and can pass better than any of them. His issues are more physical, but most seem to stem from not being up to speed with the games….. because he never £#%&!ing plays!

Rather than looking at it like ‘defensive midfielder’, I prefer to look at it and think “what do we need?” And we DESPERATELY need players in the midfield who don’t shit themselves on the ball. Donny is one of those…. And I see no harm in at least trying him there and you can play a Fred or The Scottish Player in there with him. Be part of the equation, at least.

We keep saying “well there must be a reason” for why Ole doesn’t pick him, before we look for some behind the Scenes issue. Maybe he’s just getting it wrong. He keeps picking players who are shit. We question his other decisions and don’t just dismiss it with “well there must be a reason” so why not question this one?

I think he’s making a mistake. I think VDB would prove a valuable option if he was given four starts in the next six games. Which he absolutely will
not get.

Ole was talking this week and bigging up Fred by saying how he trusts him
to give his all. Given he plays him and The Scottish Player over players like Matic and Donny suggests he values energy, tenacity and work rate above all else. I think this is a mistake.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:01 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I think we’re needlessly saying ‘defensive midfielder’ too. For about the one millionth time, neither The Scottish Player or Fred are defensive. Fred works hard and can be tenacious and this offers a certain amount of protection. He also gives the ball away a lot and has a poor passing range, which puts his defence under pressure. He takes away from the defence as much as he adds to it, especially in the form he’s in.

The Scottish Player has energy, but he’s better in the attacking third, driving from midfielder. He again is not very good on the ball, or at least inconsistent, and he doesn’t read the game particularly well. He’s a box to box midfielder.

Matic is easily the most defensive minded of the lot and the best on the ball. He just can’t run. His best form of defence is his ability on the ball and to read the game.

Which brings us to Donny…. He’s more like Matic In that sense, he has the ability to read the game and can pass better than any of them. His issues are more physical, but most seem to stem from not being up to speed with the games….. because he never £#%&!ing plays!

Rather than looking at it like ‘defensive midfielder’, I prefer to look at it and think “what do we need?” And we DESPERATELY need players in the midfield who don’t shit themselves on the ball. Donny is one of those…. And I see no harm in at least trying him there and you can play a Fred or The Scottish Player in there with him. Be part of the equation, at least.

We keep saying “well there must be a reason” for why Ole doesn’t pick him, before we look for some behind the Scenes issue. Maybe he’s just getting it wrong. He keeps picking players who are shit. We question his other decisions and don’t just dismiss it with “well there must be a reason” so why not question this one?

I think he’s making a mistake. I think VDB would prove a valuable option if he was given four starts in the next six games. Which he absolutely will
not get.

to give his all. Given he plays him and The Scottish Player over players like Matic and Donny suggests he values energy, tenacity and work rate above all else. I think this is a mistake.
He actually said this earlier this week didn't he?

Quote:
"the energy they give us, the way we broke up play against Villa, they’re very, very instrumental together, in that respect. Energy and desire, and I really like to have the two of them.

“They’re two who I can trust and will always give what they’ve got.
Energy and breaking up play. Against Aston Villa. That's our centre midfield. £#%&!ing hell

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:03 PM
Bunker Buster

In a game we lost

Glad we had that energy and desire, we nearly got a 0-0...

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:07 PM
dunk

As opposed to the controlled efficiency of Beeky and Matic in the West Ham game, which we lost.

We all want him to get in the team, play well and be the solution, it appears he can’t do it, sadly.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:14 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

not get.

We have plenty of players who can do something further up the pitch. We desperately need someone who can protect the back 4. Fred does that better than Beek. Beek is competing with The Scottish Player, Pogba and Bruno. He is worse than all 3. He has been given little game time but he has been poor-average when he has played.

We urgently need an upgrade on Fred but if we replace him with Beek we're left with very little protection for the back 4. Teams sit deep against us and look to break at speed (like Villa did). We would be even more vulnerable to this with Beek replacing Fred.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:18 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
All he's contributed is a goal and two assists....

https://youtu.be/ksZk6nZobBo

It's like some people don't actually watch the games, if you don't want to see this ball retention, positive one touch football, probing balls and Intelligent football just say.....
Poor, average, abysmal...

(This was before A VERY good game against westham where his through ball should have set up a goal)

Click...

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:26 PM
naes_sean

If only we had a world class midfielder in our coaching staff who could see Donny's hidden talents in training.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:39 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Poor, average, abysmal...

(This was before A VERY good game against westham where his through ball should have set up a goal)

Click...
Not a YouTube compilation! Well that’s me sold , give him the captains armband ! That nearly through ball which should have been a goal

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:42 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
As opposed to the controlled efficiency of Beeky and Matic in the West Ham game, which we lost.

We all want him to get in the team, play well and be the solution, it appears he can’t do it, sadly.
Of course he can do it. He's played in many sides that have done well at the highest level. What he can't do is play in this Utd side, under this manager. Yet. At least not until Ole decides to play a 4-3-3 system and dropping a 'name' in order to find balance. So I guess Donny remains a square peg regardless.

Utd's style is bereft of any patterns, we don't do the right things over & over again to a high enough standard. I have my own thoughts on that, mirrored by many on here around the quality of coaching at the club - but let's be honest, they all £#%&!ed the simple things up when LVG & Jose were here as well so it's hardly Ole's fault in that regard. The irony for me is Beek is a consistent type, brings control & tidiness vs the others. It's all a bit weird.

We're not dropping Bruno, we're not dropping Ronaldo. I'd expect to find some kind of compromise by putting two other midfielders next to Bruno & bringing him back 10 yards some of the time to always have a midfield 3 - playing with any two has been just about enough to get us to 2nd & a EL final, but really it's been a bit shit most of the time. The middle of the park is where control exists & we exhibit very £#%&!ing little of it on a consistent basis. Beekers might well be able to do more with a Kante type machine next to him, but right now a grenade like Fred or a mine like Matic isn't going to cover our deficiencies.

Feels like we almost need to stumble over the right XI & tactics in order to progress. My faith in Ole is waning on the proviso that we simply don't look a very good side, despite having spent the most money in Europe in his tenure. Plus he keeps starting Fred.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:43 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Not a YouTube compilation! Well that’s me sold , give him the captains armband ! That nearly through ball which should have been a goal
Obviously some people struggle to watch him at home or live () so it's a nice little round up....

Greenwood should have scored.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
We have plenty of players who can do something further up the pitch. We desperately need someone who can protect the back 4. Fred does that better than Beek. Beek is competing with The Scottish Player, Pogba and Bruno. He is worse than all 3. He has been given little game time but he has been poor-average when he has played.

We urgently need an upgrade on Fred but if we replace him with Beek we're left with very little protection for the back 4. Teams sit deep against us and look to break at speed (like Villa did). We would be even more vulnerable to this with Beek replacing Fred.
Villa didn't do that though. They outplayed us.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Villa didn't do that though. They outplayed us.
They really didn't. We should have won comfortably.

Unread 01-10-2021, 01:51 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Obviously some people struggle to watch him at home or live () so it's a nice little round up....

Greenwood should have scored.
He started in two of the worst games we had in the prem last season. Obviously is not directly his fault, but it’s cause for concern when he was hooked we managed to come back into the game and win. (The West Ham and Southampton away if you’re wondering)

I don’t doubt he is going to be very good technically, and maybe he should be given a try ahead of Fred, but he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy that can hold the number 6 position that is required. He isn’t quick, nor does he have a good tackle nor is he imposing . I’m not saying our CM options are great , they range from shite to average . But if ole is trying every player and he still can’t get a look in says more about him.

If there was more than one player in his shoes you could argue ole is occupied with tunnel vision and trusts a certain set and not others. Clearly that’s not the case, as bad as it is two players who should have been sold in the summer played during the weekday (lingard and dalot) .

Right now the manager is in a no win situation, he plays well they’ll say why hasn’t he started and if he doesn’t play well they’ll blame the manager for causing all this. He should have been sold in the summer and will most likely leave in jan. VDB is not the answer to our problems