United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-05-2023, 09:13 AM
Stickman

I can’t decide re this one. Thought he looked good early on but think he’s bang average now. Not sure id bother.

Unread 04-05-2023, 09:17 AM
dunk

I like him, but given age would hope we can do better tbh.

That said if talk of £100m + sales as a budget for the summer is true, we might need to make do with what we can get.

Unread 04-05-2023, 09:44 AM
suedeshoes

Wouldn't notice if he left or stayed.

Unread 04-05-2023, 09:48 AM
guerreiro

Schneiderlin with a man bun. Meh! Had high hopes as well, can see why he was a reserve at Munich

Unread 04-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Schneiderlin with a man bun. Meh! Had high hopes as well, can see why he was a reserve at Munich
He is definitely more impactful than that dry lunch of a player.

Unread 04-05-2023, 10:21 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
He's OK, if he's a relative cheap signing to also compliment another midfielder then fine.

If its him and keep the same midfield choice next season. Then back to Bayern he goes
So keep the same midfield without him?

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:18 AM
Dr Stranger

He’s come in, played in fits and starts during a difficult spell. He’s contributed well and is clearly a better player than McFred.

We still need a top drawer CM, but is Sabitzer is available for anything like £20m then he’d exactly the kind of squad player we should have. He’s an upgrade on McFred. We can’t bemoan their presence and then turn our nose up at an improvement who is willing and gettable.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
He’s come in, played in fits and starts during a difficult spell. He’s contributed well and is clearly a better player than McFred.

We still need a top drawer CM, but is Sabitzer is available for anything like £20m then he’d exactly the kind of squad player we should have. He’s an upgrade on McFred. We can’t bemoan their presence and then turn our nose up at an improvement who is willing and gettable.

Exactly. He's come in halfway through the season and done fine. He'd also be the reason we'd be in the Europa semi if the rest of the reserve shit-@#%&!s had anything about them.

Absolute no brainer for circa £25m. Anything to speed up getting mcfred out the door

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:28 AM
Denis Irwell

Never had even a bit of a run in the team and when he has, it has been in different positions during changeable circumstances. Always steady at a minimum and has a goal threat. Was largely responsible for keeping Villa quiet and starving Watkins alongside Cas. A role he seamlessly eased into. Darren Fletcher was praised for finally finding that rôle having been shoehorned into it by his “benefactor” after over a decade.

Keep.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:35 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Exactly. He's come in halfway through the season and done fine. He'd also be the reason we'd be in the Europa semi if the rest of the reserve shit-@#%&!s had anything about them.

Absolute no brainer for circa £25m. Anything to speed up getting mcfred out the door
I remember you saying similar about Schweinsteiger.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:37 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I remember you saying similar about Schweinsteiger.
Impressive considering the amount of fosters you've consumed between then and now.

Also impressive considering schweinsteiger was never on loan and we bought him.

Unread 04-05-2023, 11:46 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Impressive considering the amount of fosters you've consumed between then and now.

Also impressive considering schweinsteiger was never on loan and we bought him.
Like I said. Keep up the good work.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=534

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=838

Unread 04-05-2023, 12:10 PM
Ethers

I’m not sure saying someone would be a good signing, is the same thing as saying it would be a good idea to permanently sign someone who already plays for us and has done well in the relatively limited starts he’s had

Unread 04-05-2023, 12:13 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I’m not sure saying someone would be a good signing, is the same thing as saying it would be a good idea to permanently sign someone who already plays for us and has done well in the relatively limited starts he’s had
The argument is is that some of us don’t think he’s done that well, the same way people thought signing Schweinsteiger when we did was a bad move. It’s just a comparison, is all.

Unread 04-05-2023, 12:37 PM
goldfinger II

As much as I think he has done alright and has been a good short-term signing, I don't think he would be a good long-term one.

As a midfielder, he uses the ball well and has looked a decent player when we are on top in games, but when we aren't on top it just passes him by. He seems a bit short, athletically, I think, but it's not just that - you don't see him getting on the ball much in midfield when the pressure is on.

In fairness, he has played quite well in the number 10 position and been a difference maker there at times, but he is very much a makeshift number 10. Does anyone really see him being a good player in that position over time?

I'm not sure I'd even sign him on a free, tbh. We've signed a lot of squad players not good enough to make themselves into first teamers, and just been stuck with them for years, going to rot and becoming ever less useful and less valuable.

Really, we should be looking to upgrade Ericson with a genuine playmaker of quality. Then Ericson can understudy for that position and the number 10 one too. Sabitzer, go in peace.

Unread 04-05-2023, 01:19 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
So keep the same midfield without him?
No I'm saying if signing him avoids allocating funds to further improve the midfield

Unread 04-05-2023, 01:53 PM
Dr Stranger

I think he’s done better than people are suggesting. Most of the time he’s played, it’s been covering for Casemiro and Eriksen has been out. We’ve rarely seen him in a fully-functioning side close to a best 11. He’s usually next to one of the two morons.

When we do play well and he’s there, he’s a big part of it: he was very good Saturday, against Sevilla and second half against Fulham in the cup.

He’s in and out the team, playing alongside different players and adjusting to the league during a ridiculous schedule. Can’t imagine there’s been much time for him to be ‘coached’ in training either, as most of this stage of the season is just play and recover.

This squad needs better first eleven, but better strength in depth too. He’s a much more reliable and expansive player than Fred or The Scottish Player. The latter will comfortably fetch what Sabitzer would cost. I’d be more than willing to take that chance.

The only issue would be if he’s our ONLY midfield signing.

Unread 04-05-2023, 02:02 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
As much as I think he has done alright and has been a good short-term signing, I don't think he would be a good long-term one.

As a midfielder, he uses the ball well and has looked a decent player when we are on top in games, but when we aren't on top it just passes him by. He seems a bit short, athletically, I think, but it's not just that - you don't see him getting on the ball much in midfield when the pressure is on.

In fairness, he has played quite well in the number 10 position and been a difference maker there at times, but he is very much a makeshift number 10. Does anyone really see him being a good player in that position over time?

I'm not sure I'd even sign him on a free, tbh. We've signed a lot of squad players not good enough to make themselves into first teamers, and just been stuck with them for years, going to rot and becoming ever less useful and less valuable.

Really, we should be looking to upgrade Ericson with a genuine playmaker of quality. Then Ericson can understudy for that position and the number 10 one too. Sabitzer, go in peace.
Couldn’t have said it any better.

Unread 04-05-2023, 02:13 PM
Ethers

I wouldn’t even sign him on a free, £#%&! me

It’s a good point about getting an upgrade on Eriksen, but then if you’re keeping Eriksen as backup for midfield, it’s ignoring the fact that he’s looked at times like he hasn’t got the legs to do what we need an midfielder to do, particularly away from home. Sabitzer has a great engine on him, and I think he’s a great option to have when you want to beef the midfield up and give it some extra legs.

Regardless, we should be keeping this guy, getting another top class midfielder, and getting rid of Fred & The Scottish Player imo. A midfield group of Cas, Eriksen, A N Other, Sabitzer and Maino would give us some genuine quality options.

Unread 04-05-2023, 02:25 PM
believe

He runs like he’s in deep mud, he must be one of the most bottom heavy footballers I’ve ever seen as for his engine this one still rankles me. Watch the 6th goal here, some engine and he’d only been on the field about 10 minutes.