United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Which makes it even worse for Lingard then as he is trying and still can't create £#%&! all...
The term ‘fraud’ gets bandied around way too loosely; but it truly does apply to this player. How he’s managed to parlay constant movement into the perception that he’s good is astonishing. Even veteran managers have fallen for it.

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Begs the question what he actually brings and why he still gets game time.

The fact we have no other options being the obvious one.
I don't think it's just about options. Managers like Lingard. Works his socks off, good energy and constantly shows for the ball and is neat and tidy with it. He didn't really play a proper attacking role last night so I wasn't offended by his performance, but those stats

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:55 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I don't think it's just about options. Managers like Lingard. Works his socks off, good energy and constantly shows for the ball and is neat and tidy with it. He didn't really play a proper attacking role last night so I wasn't offended by his performance, but those stats
As the central one in the 3 behind Martial? He needs to be doing more than what he did last night. That air shot wasn't the best...

Unread 20-08-2019, 02:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
As the central one in the 3 behind Martial? He needs to be doing more than what he did last night. That air shot wasn't the best...
No but he was involved in the goal and actually won possession back brilliantly ahead of the penalty too. He'll do lots of selfless stuff which doesn't catch the eye. And he was covering loads of ground last night rather than playing as a proper no10.

But those stats are quite tough to defend.

Unread 20-08-2019, 03:10 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Give over
He played as a number 10 given freedom to roam around

Yeah of course he was expected to close down and press the opposition but so do David Silva and De Bruyne and they still provide great quality going forward

Of course he is expected to create chances and score goals from that position
He just doesn't and never looks that likely to
Has literally no passing range other than a quick pop off pass

Ole needs to bite the bullet and either go 433 with Fred in midfield or start to introduce Gomes as a number 10

Unread 20-08-2019, 03:11 PM
dragflick

Quote:
No but he was involved in the goal and actually won possession back brilliantly ahead of the penalty too. He'll do lots of selfless stuff which doesn't catch the eye. And he was covering loads of ground last night rather than playing as a proper no10.

Yeah I'm not one of his harshest critics (usually), and get he does a lot of the unselfish stuff, but we just need £#%&!ing more than someone who runs about a lot in there. Should be causing the oppo' more trouble than he does.

Unread 20-08-2019, 03:16 PM
utd99

Quote:
Agreed. So don’t.

Unread 20-08-2019, 03:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Give over
He played as a number 10 given freedom to roam around

Yeah of course he was expected to close down and press the opposition but so do David Silva and De Bruyne and they still provide great quality going forward

Of course he is expected to create chances and score goals from that position
He just doesn't and never looks that likely to
Has literally no passing range other than a quick pop off pass

Ole needs to bite the bullet and either go 433 with Fred in midfield or start to introduce Gomes as a number 10
He does too much defensive work to be considered a traditional no10 imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yeah I'm not one of his harshest critics (usually), and get he does a lot of the unselfish stuff, but we just need £#%&!ing more than someone who runs about a lot in there. Should be causing the oppo' more trouble than he does.
Agreed.

Unread 20-08-2019, 03:29 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
He does too much defensive work to be considered a traditional no10 imo.

Agreed.
He presses the opposition and works really hard but so do a lot of creative number 10 types these days that's why Ozil is such an anomaly
They are also expected to contribute to the attacking side as well

It's not like he's something really special at pressing the opposition
He's good at it but then so are a lot of players

Unread 20-08-2019, 03:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
He presses the opposition and works really hard but so do a lot of creative number 10 types these days that's why Ozil is such an anomaly
They are also expected to contribute to the attacking side as well

It's not like he's something really special at pressing the opposition
He's good at it but then so are a lot of players
Not just pressing but going back into the defensive third. Anyway the original point was there are reasons managers like him.

I didn't think he was bad last night in general at what he did, but he isn't productive enough clearly. Lingard's performances on their own aren't usually bad, it's just there's too regularly a cap on how good he can be. Never the best player on the pitch.

Unread 20-08-2019, 03:57 PM
plopborsky

I have defended him often but I would rather play mata in there now on. Mata at least can make a pass that breaks open a team. Lingard just runs

Unread 20-08-2019, 04:17 PM
d_knight

I swear he's made up of the DNA of Kieron Richardson, Kiko Macheda, Adnan Janetjazzjazzjam and a goblin from the 'Goblin Slayer' series.

Unread 20-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Not just pressing but going back into the defensive third. Anyway the original point was there are reasons managers like him.

I didn't think he was bad last night in general at what he did, but he isn't productive enough clearly. Lingard's performances on their own aren't usually bad, it's just there's too regularly a cap on how good he can be. Never the best player on the pitch.
There are reasons those managers were epic failures for us too.

He isn't a tidy player either. First touch is diabolical, messes up passes that require any kind of ambition to make. Joke player

Unread 20-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Sparky***

That shot last night

Unread 20-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Buck

Quote:

He manages to find himself in great positions a lot which is why managers like him. Because that space between the opposition midfield and defence is compact - it's hard to slip away from a marker. So for him to constantly have room in that space is impressive. But the problem is he's got no idea what to do when the ball gets to him. He's got no 1v1 ability or creative passing to make use of the space he makes.

Unread 20-08-2019, 05:49 PM
utd99

So he runs a lot and does nothing, something I’ve been saying for at least 5 years. Welcome aboard everyone; better late than never.

“Messi Lingard” £#%&!ing hell.

Unread 20-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Brucie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
He manages to find himself in great positions a lot which is why managers like him. Because that space between the opposition midfield and defence is compact - it's hard to slip away from a marker. So for him to constantly have room in that space is impressive. But the problem is he's got no idea what to do when the ball gets to him. He's got no 1v1 ability or creative passing to make use of the space he makes.
Defenders probably leave him along because he posses as much threat to them as a damp facecloth

Unread 20-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
So he runs a lot and does nothing, something I’ve been saying for at least 5 years. Welcome aboard everyone; better late than never.

“Messi Lingard” £#%&!ing hell.

hilarious isn't it.

Unread 20-08-2019, 06:16 PM
red in cumbria

Who came up with that gem?

Unread 20-08-2019, 06:26 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Who came up with that gem?
They know who they are.
Closed Thread