United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 16-09-2023, 09:22 PM
Halloween

Let’s make one thing perfectly clear, De Gea has been £#%&! for years. This is not on Onana but the defensive structure of the team. Where does De Gea play again? Oh yeah nowhere because he is £#%&!ing £#%&!.

Unread 16-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween
Let’s make one thing perfectly clear, De Gea has been £#%&! for years. This is not on Onana but the defensive structure of the team. Where does De Gea play again? Oh yeah no one because he is £#%&!ing £#%&!.
Interesting how the 'defensive structure of the team' was never an issue for the hyenas when De Gea was playing for us.

Also, the argument that he doesn't have a club yet is a straw man, given that nobody on here will know anything about his negotiations.

The likelihood is he would have received several offers, but none of them have interested him enough.

He is also owed a testimonial by Manchester United.

Unread 16-09-2023, 09:43 PM
Chris Quayd

Lads, they’re both shit. The deciding factor in swapping one for the other is that De Gea exacerbated our issues while Onana merely fails to fix them.

Unread 16-09-2023, 09:44 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
while Onana merely fails to fix them.
yet

Unread 16-09-2023, 10:07 PM
Hyman_Roth

Onana’s not a problem imv - never felt so relaxed with the playing out from the back thing - (which is utterly pointless more often than not) - but the criticism of de Gea (on here - not irl tbh) was insane.

They’re both a bit shit in different ways.

Great.

Unread 17-09-2023, 05:47 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
If you're going to give premier league footballers free shots from 8 yards out, you're not going to give your keeper much chance in saving any of them.
Last two goals were the fault of our poor defence, but Onana should still have done better on both. It's his job ffs.

Unread 17-09-2023, 06:03 AM
Patty_b

All three were due to the failings of the team Infront of him. The third he should've saved.

Unread 17-09-2023, 07:49 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Last two goals were the fault of our poor defence, but Onana should still have done better on both. It's his job ffs.

Unread 17-09-2023, 10:41 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Looking at these 3 efforts i don't think many goalkeepers would have had a chance with the first 2. The 3rd he could have done better with but the glaring thing in all of them was that none of our defenders are near them or making even a token effort to block the shot and they're scattered all over the place.

look at his £#%&!ing stupid positioning. the first and third would have been much easier to reach. the second, he was just poor. it's not remotely ridiculous to say de gea saves all of those on anything other than a really bad day. none of the saves would even have got a wow.

onana simply isn't as good a shot stopper as de gea. he concedes goals like this. it is pointless to argue otherwise.

but he can do other stuff better than de gea.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:22 PM
Coracao

If we are being objective, De Gea would have been crucified for some of the goals he has let in this season. Of that there is zero doubt.

Not sure I've seen him make a save that I wouldn't expect of any keeper in the football league. And he's let in some that plenty wouldn't. He'd be great of we dominated possession and barely gave any chances away. We are miles off that tho.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Dr Stranger

He should have saved the third one. NQAT. He’s no chance with the first two. De Gea wouldn’t have saved either, nor would he have been expected to. I would expect him to save the 3rd and I expect Onana to save it too. Pointing out the other two is daft and claiming de gea would save it when it can’t be proven otherwise is also daft.

We’ve plenty of issues without looking for ones that aren’t there.

He’s faced 30 shots on target this season and conceded 10 goals. As far as I can recall, all 10 have been players who have had time and space to pick their spot in the penalty area. That’s the issue. He could have done better with a couple of them too.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:28 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
He should have saved the third one. NQAT. He’s not chance with the first two. De Gea wouldn’t have save either, nor would he have been expected to. We’ve plenty of issues without looking for ones that aren’t there.

He’s faced 30 shots on target this season and conceded 10 goals. As far as I can recall, all 10 have been players who have had time and space to pick their spot in the penalty area.
The point is de Gea used to get the blame for the defenders allowing that time and space to opposition players. Turns out coming off your line doesn’t actually make defenders great.

No one here actually thinks Onana is shit (as far as I can tell), or was to blame for the goals yesterday, it’s just interesting seeing some of the double standards.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:34 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
The point is de Gea used to get the blame for the defenders allowing that time and space to opposition players. Turns out coming off your line doesn’t actually make defenders great.

No one here actually thinks Onana is shit (as far as I can tell), or was to blame for the goals yesterday, it’s just interesting seeing some of the double standards.
DDG got blamed for being stuck to his line, poor distribution and letting a few flop through him. Forwards having time and space in our penalty area is not something consistently levelled at him or any other keeper.

Jem claimed DDG would save all three.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:36 PM
dunk

I’d say the double standards are more like if de Gea played yesterday he would’ve conceded all 3 and most would be talking about the saves he’d made to keep the score respectable.

Truth is the midfield was utterly £#%&!ing horrendous and the effort in general an absolute piss take and they all need a good £#%&!ing for it.

So far I’d say Onana is setting himself too close to his line, he should be a yard or so further forward, needs to sort that out.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:38 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
DDG got blamed for being stuck to his line, poor distribution and letting a few flop through him. Forwards having time and space in our penalty area is not something consistently levelled at him or any other keeper.

Jem claimed DDG would save all three.
Son, I had the argument multiple times with posters on here who’d tell me the back line were prone to mistakes and uncertainty because of de Gea’s lack of authority behind them. He’s gone and lo and behold, the defenders/team as a whole are still making the same mistakes.

I don’t blame Onana for that, in the same way I never blamed de Gea for that. I’d appreciate other posters showing the same integrity and consistency by either acknowledging they were wrong, or by blaming Onana. Until that happens, I cannot give them my full respect.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Son, I had the argument multiple times with posters on here who’d tell me the back line were prone to mistakes and uncertainty because of de Gea’s lack of authority behind them. He’s gone and lo and behold, the defenders/team as a whole are still making the same mistakes.

I don’t blame Onana for that, in the same way I never blamed de Gea for that. I’d appreciate other posters showing the same integrity and consistency by either acknowledging they were wrong, or by blaming Onana. Until that happens, I cannot give them my full respect.
Stop reading after that.

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:42 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Haven’t seen him make any good/ great saves as yet . Has he?

Unread 17-09-2023, 02:51 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Haven’t seen him make any good/ great saves as yet . Has he?
No.

Unread 17-09-2023, 03:00 PM
Ethers

Unread 17-09-2023, 03:05 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Good save tbf.