United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-09-2010, 12:51 PM
treme

Thumbs up United declined Cole chance

Quote:
"We were approached by Joe Cole's agent at one point, but we didn't enter into it at all," said Ferguson.

"It was complicated to get involved in that."
Read that as we have no money and couldn't afford his £100k a week.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Unread 18-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Zorg

Default Re: United declined Cole chance

And he's not that good.

Unread 18-09-2010, 12:56 PM
forzagarza

It was only to do the half time cash dash

Unread 18-09-2010, 12:57 PM
treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
It was only to do the half time cash dash

Unread 18-09-2010, 02:02 PM
otbarney

I'd have had him at United, but not on anything like that money.

Unread 18-09-2010, 02:03 PM
History

Before the season started he wouldnt get in our side, obviously now he would.

Unread 18-09-2010, 03:22 PM
wonky no

hes not on 100k a week.

Unread 18-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Baron

He's a good player, if he was in contract & someone was going to pay for him he'd be near enough £10m+ in the current climate so whatever he's earning & his signing on fee was it's decent enough business. Especially getting rid of Bennynoon for £6m or so the other way.

Unread 18-09-2010, 03:30 PM
red in cumbria

Having said that, there are quite a lot of people worse than Benayoun still there

Unread 18-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Having said that, there are quite a lot of people worse than Benayoun still there
That is a shame, isn't it?

Unread 18-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
"It was complicated to get involved in that."
What was complicated? Going in for him publicly only for him to sign for Liverpool? If we can't meet his wages then it would be very complicated signing him. It's a different excuse every time. "We could have had X, we were interested in him but we decided against it." People read that as "We can sign who I want" when the truth is he can't. There's no way with the squad we have SAF would not have strengthened had he had the chance. His legacy is getting pissed away. I hope he doesn't do a Clough.

Unread 18-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Firswood Red

We were definately in for Cole

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:00 PM
andyroo

He's "doing a Clough" because he didn't sign the very average Joe Cole on huge wages?

Really?

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:03 PM
red in cumbria

It isn't as if Clough had Glazer-type owners to contend with, either

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
He's "doing a Clough" because he didn't sign the very average Joe Cole on huge wages?

Really?
No. I've not said anything of the sort. Nice attempt to put words in my mouth.

Clough was at Forest and won 2 EC's. He stayed too long and eventually got them relegated. The legendary Clough had a relegation on his CV which a lot of people will remember. SAF is saying he's happy with his squad at the same time everyone else thinks we need to strengthen it. We've had a shit start to the season and we lost a lot of games last season. It's quite possible the slip has started. I said I hope he doesn't do a Clough. Nowhere did I say he is doing.

HTFH.

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
It isn't as if Clough had Glazer-type owners to contend with, either
SAF says they are 'excellent owners'. He can't have it both ways. Either SAF is deliberately lying to the fans or they are excellent owners. I'll let you decide which it is.

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:08 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy

Clough was at Forest and won 2 EC's. He stayed too long and eventually got them relegated. The legendary Clough had a relegation on his CV which a lot of people will remember. SAF is saying he's happy with his squad at the same time everyone else thinks we need to strengthen it. We've had a shit start to the season and we lost a lot of games last season. It's quite possible the slip has started. I said I hope he doesn't do a Clough. Nowhere did I say he is doing.

HTFH.
One fewer than the league champions, who finished a massive one point above us.

And how does our start compare with 2007-08, to take just one example??

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy

HTFH.
We've hardly had a shit start to the season, should have 4 more points than we have but we got beat at both venues last year.

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
We've hardly had a shit start to the season, should have 4 more points than we have but we got beat at both venues last year.
Everton are dogshit. Getting a 3-3 draw was a terrible result.

Unread 18-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
One fewer than the league champions, who finished a massive one point above us.

And how does our start compare with 2007-08, to take just one example??
Chelsea had a new manager with no PL experience at all. They had as we told them an 'old squad' and their best player was away for weeks with the African Nations Cup. If we'd have had that and we'd won the league, I think a few on here would be expecting us to step it up a notch this season.
Closed Thread