United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 01-03-2024, 06:02 PM
RedNick80

We know the issue is the distance between our high press 'effort' and our deep, slow back line, so I really hope he sacks off the high press for this game.

Its embarrassing watching various shit teams waltz through a press only attempted properly by Bruno and half heartedly by Rashford anyway.

Against City just sit deep and hope for a few counter attacks. What's so bad about that? Gives us a fighting chance at least.

Its no wonder Garnacho, Mainoo, Bruno etc are so £#%&!ing knackered every game - they are literally running the length of the pitch every other minute as our pinball tactics play out. Sit back, conserve the energy a bit and spring with that energy as an actual purposeful counter.

For that reason I'd also play The Scottish Player up front, he cant be any worse at holding it up or playing it in behind to onrushing wide players than Rashford.

Unread 01-03-2024, 06:03 PM
atticusgrinch

We went to the murderers and contained them easily enough.

This is where Erik can show off his tactical prowess if he's got any.

They shall not pass! And maybe hoof it to Rashford if you get the chance.

Unread 01-03-2024, 06:14 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
We went to the murderers and contained them easily enough.

This is where Erik can show off his tactical prowess if he's got any.

They shall not pass! And maybe hoof it to Rashford if you get the chance.
We just need a bit of luck for a change and we can get that breakaway winning goal.

Surely rashford can miss just one of those four buses on Sunday morning?

Unread 01-03-2024, 06:15 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
We just need a bit of luck for a change and we can get that breakaway winning goal.

Surely rashford can miss just one of those four buses on Sunday morning?
This is his forte! Run after the ball lobbed over their team and score Forrest! Score!

Unread 01-03-2024, 06:23 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
This is his forte! Run after the ball lobbed over their team and score Forrest! Score!
Knowing him, he’ll try to run through the post at the other end of the pitch

Unread 01-03-2024, 06:49 PM
Sparky***

Looking forward to it like Tommy was looking forward to being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
We know the issue is the distance between our high press 'effort' and our deep, slow back line, so I really hope he sacks off the high press for this game.

Its embarrassing watching various shit teams waltz through a press only attempted properly by Bruno and half heartedly by Rashford anyway.

Against City just sit deep and hope for a few counter attacks. What's so bad about that? Gives us a fighting chance at least.

Its no wonder Garnacho, Mainoo, Bruno etc are so £#%&!ing knackered every game - they are literally running the length of the pitch every other minute as our pinball tactics play out. Sit back, conserve the energy a bit and spring with that energy as an actual purposeful counter.

For that reason I'd also play The Scottish Player up front, he cant be any worse at holding it up or playing it in behind to onrushing wide players than Rashford.
That sounds far too sensible and pragmatic mate.

We'll be 3-0 down after about 25 mins and running around like headless chickens.

Unread 01-03-2024, 08:19 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
We'll be 3-0 down after about 25 mins and running around like headless chickens.
always love your optimism

Unread 01-03-2024, 08:37 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
always love your optimism
I thought that was fairly optimistic.

Unread 01-03-2024, 08:44 PM
Medlock

We need to set up to give nothing away and play with intensity. Couple of pacy forwards to chase things and pack the midfield. Not the usual predictable shit with everyone pulled out of position and a chasm in the middle of the park.

Unread 01-03-2024, 08:55 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock View Post
We need to set up to give nothing away and play with intensity. Couple of pacy forwards to chase things and pack the midfield. Not the usual predictable shit with everyone pulled out of position and a chasm in the middle of the park.
this is true every £#%&!ing game.

Unread 01-03-2024, 09:08 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
this is true every £#%&!ing game.
Yep. He prefers chaos ball with everyone running forward but the striker being starved of any service coupled with a keystone cops approach at the back. Ball retention a max of 0.15 seconds.

Tbf, we will barely have the ball on Sunday (predict 9% possession) so it might be that we won’t expose ourselves in the way we do when we’re playing giants like Newport.

Unread 01-03-2024, 09:25 PM
Sapien

Unread 01-03-2024, 09:26 PM
armchair

What I'm looking forward to is being soundly beaten and then ten hag telling us how we basically won the game.

Unread 01-03-2024, 09:41 PM
magic_cantona

Unread 01-03-2024, 10:18 PM
Dacter

Should be interesting to see if the tactic of leaving acres of space precisely where Kevin De Bruyne likes to operate will pay dividends for us.

My guess would be no.

Unread 01-03-2024, 11:06 PM
qldclone

The only even remotely optimistic thing I can think of ahead of this game is that it probably won't be as bad as the debacle against the vermin on pretty much the same weekend last year.

Unread 01-03-2024, 11:19 PM
Chris Quayd

Onana less likely to keep a clean sheet than a 14 year old at P Diddy’s house

Unread 01-03-2024, 11:31 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
Onana less likely to keep a clean sheet than a 14 year old at P Diddy’s house
My favourite ‘what’s brown and sticky?’ joke, ruined forever.

Unread 01-03-2024, 11:48 PM
Msgr A Brook

Honestly, f*&k City. I used to get two tickets for every derby Maine Rd from a woman at work. I'd take a mate and we'd sit in the Platt Lane bit, spotting every Utd fan around us and nodding to each other. Jesus, when Utd scored a third of the ground jumped up. It was insane the amount we had all over the place. All this recent shit with City has never bothered me, because deep down, we know and they know what they are.

Unread 01-03-2024, 11:53 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgr A Brook View Post
Honestly, f*&k City. I used to get two tickets for every derby Maine Rd from a woman at work. I'd take a mate and we'd sit in the Platt Lane bit spotting every Utd fan around us and nodding to each other. Jesus, when Utd scored a third of the ground jumped up. It was insane the amount we had all over the place. All this recent shit has never bothered me because deep down, we know and they know, what they are.
Went most years from 86 onwards and I can’t ever remember being in the United end. We got taken round to it I suppose in the 5-1 job tbf and a few others. It took about 30 mins to get us all out of their end in 86.

My favourite away (home) ground.