United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:01 PM
TheNew

We looked knackered but fair play for grinding it out. And good to see some maligned lads doing their bit.

We are some way off challenging but we are a good team with a good spirit.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:02 PM
armchair

I thought Ronaldo was slightly better. Seems more match fit.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:05 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Last season he had spells where he was shit then he suddenly rolled back the years.

Even if the shit spells are getting longer, i wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly transitioned into a beast again for a few games, and given the other options up there, we're gonna need that.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:06 PM
Tuco

great result, The Scottish Player Fred and Maguire were bobbins

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:08 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He was absolutely shit

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:10 PM
westcoastvan

Good game, we still have a scoring problem though. Thank god for De Gea!

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:16 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
i wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly transitioned
It would be more plausible than pretending he is straight tbf

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:23 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Rice is decent, but I just don’t get the ridiculous levels of hype. He’s functionally effective.

West Ham can £#%&! off. 80 minutes of negative shit as usual, then a few Hail Mary punts the last ten, masquerading as ambition.

They only got back into the game because we let them.

The two saves were hardly chances either. They created very little.
Oh come on

Don't disagree with the central premise but at least the Zouma one was a cast iron chance, the save was exceptional and bloody well had to be.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:29 PM
Dr Stranger

I honestly think we’ll be fine for goals. We’ve had 3 home games against negative teams with ten men behind the ball (and they’re good at it) and an away trip to Chelsea.

Rashford is improving. Ronaldo is getting match-fit and we’ve got Martial to come back (at some £#%&!ing point). I’d be more concerned if we were creating chances.

The spirit and work rate is there. The tactics and philosophy is sinking in. There’s quality throughout the team. The main thing that will hold us back this season is the squad options and holes in the team, but that was never getting sorted in one window.

Any assessment of our progress has to be compared to where we were. We were an absolute shambles last season - everything was wrong and we were rock bottom. Then the two defeats and the nature of the defeat to Brentford.

To turn up the way we did against Liverpool was a real surprise and we’ve kicked on since then. There’s only really the shitshow at City and the sociedad game, either side of Queeny death, that have been poor. Otherwise, it’s 12 wins and 2 draws. And we should have won both the draws.

The focus seems to be on what’s still wrong with us, but from where we were, it’s absolute night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Oh come on

Don't disagree with the central premise but at least the Zouma one was a cast iron chance, the save was exceptional and bloody well had to be.
It was a decent chance and a good header. I didn’t think it was a ‘must score’ gilt-edged chance. The Rice one was a long range effort. Their best chance was the one Bowen scuffed into Maguire. They actually got in behind us then. They had a lot of set of pieces and dangerous delivery and that’s nerve-racking, but they weren’t opening us up.

Both saves were excellent, especially the Zouma one.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:37 PM
andyroo

Meow!

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:37 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I honestly think we’ll be fine for goals. We’ve had 3 home games against negative teams with ten men behind the ball (and they’re good at it) and an away trip to Chelsea.

Rashford is improving. Ronaldo is getting match-fit and we’ve got Martial to come back (at some £#%&!ing point). I’d be more concerned if we were creating chances.

The spirit and work rate is there. The tactics and philosophy is sinking in. There’s quality throughout the team. The main thing that will hold us back this season is the squad options and holes in the team, but that was never getting sorted in one window.

Any assessment of our progress has to be compared to where we were. We were an absolute shambles last season - everything was wrong and we were rock bottom. Then the two defeats and the nature of the defeat to Brentford.

To turn up the way we did against Liverpool was a real surprise and we’ve kicked on since then. There’s only really the shitshow at City and the sociedad game, either side of Queeny death, that have been poor. Otherwise, it’s 12 wins and 2 draws. And we should have won both the draws.

The focus seems to be on what’s still wrong with us, but from where we were, it’s absolute night and day.

It was a decent chance and a good header. I didn’t think it was a ‘must score’ gilt-edged chance. The Rice one was a long range effort. Their best chance was the one Bowen scuffed into Maguire. They actually got in behind us then. They had a lot of set of pieces and dangerous delivery and that’s nerve-racking, but they weren’t opening us up.

Both saves were excellent, especially the Zouma one.
Nah, goals will be our biggest issue - we desperately need martial back and he then needs to play for more than a couple of minutes. Ronaldo shouldn’t be starting for us - coming on as a sub to try and use his static assets to nick one - defo - but he just doesn’t have it anymore to chase hopeless causes and a high press for 90 mins which is what we need.

Im delighted for Rashford - he will now only get better for us - he mentioned his mental health in the interview - something that’s been quite obvious for a long time. But even on top form, he’s not a prolific finisher.

We’ve lost the best striker we had at the club - need a striker in January.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:39 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
It would be more plausible than pretending he is straight tbf

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:43 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Nah, goals will be our biggest issue - we desperately need martial back and he then needs to play for more than a couple of minutes. Ronaldo shouldn’t be starting for us - coming on as a sub to try and use his static assets to nick one - defo - but he just doesn’t have it anymore to chase hopeless causes and a high press for 90 mins which is what we need.

Im delighted for Rashford - he will now only get better for us - he mentioned his mental health in the interview - something that’s been quite obvious for a long time. But even on top form, he’s not a prolific finisher.

We’ve lost the best striker we had at the club - need a striker in January.
I think there’s more goals to come from this lot. Agree that we need a striker and the assessment of our current options (don’t want some shit January pint though. Would rather wait), but they’re all capable of more, even if they’re not perfect. Sancho has levels to go up. Martial is our best finisher. Rashford is getting better. Ronaldo will hit a purple patch. More to come from Bruno and Antony is still relatively new. I think it’ll improve.

I think sub-standard squad options will hurt us more. That £#%&!s with how we want to play.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Fair enough we were absolute piss with the ball today, particularly the second half.

But there should be huge scrutiny on that shithouse ref for not giving Scamacca a second yellow. If it’s a foul it’s a booking, simple as that.

Sick to death of coward referees who daren’t give a decision which could impact the game.

- Failing to give second yellows for blatant fouls
- Blowing the whistle as soon as a keeper or defender falls over in the box
- Ignoring penalty appeals for fouls they have already blown for in other areas of the pitch.

Just a bunch of utter @#%&!.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:44 PM
NedKelly

I have no faith that Martial will be able to play for more than a game or two at a time (if that) but I’d love him to prove me wrong. We have looked our best attacking wise with him - however brief it’s been.

Ronaldo, as Hyman said, shouldn’t be starting for us anymore. I love the man and he’ll always be a hero of mine, but he’s definitely over the hill. And to be honest some players just don’t play as well with him in the team, Bruno being the obvious one.

Maguire causes problems as 1) he’s never a captain and 2) he breeds insecurity in the defence. It’s like some of the other players are fully aware of how limited he is and it puts them on edge.

We also need another quality midfielder so we’re not overly reliant on Eriksen and Casemiro. As good as they are, they’ll both need to be rested at points and the moment Eriksen came off today they were all over us and we lost the ability to retain possession in midfield.

Priority signings -
A centre forward
A solid back up midfielder
Another centreback

In that order. If we can get a striker and a back up midfielder in January it’d be immense but that’s a big ask.

Unread 30-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I have no faith that Martial will be able to play for more than a game or two at a time (if that) but I’d love him to prove me wrong. We have looked our best attacking wise with him - however brief it’s been.

Ronaldo, as Hyman said, shouldn’t be starting for us anymore. I love the man and he’ll always be a hero of mine, but he’s definitely over the hill. And to be honest some players just don’t play as well with him in the team, Bruno being the obvious one.

Maguire causes problems as 1) he’s never a captain and 2) he breeds insecurity in the defence. It’s like some of the other players are fully aware of how limited he is and it puts them on edge.

We also need another quality midfielder so we’re not overly reliant on Eriksen and Casemiro. As good as they are, they’ll both need to be rested at points and the moment Eriksen came off today they were all over us and we lost the ability to retain possession in midfield.

Priority signings -
A centre forward
Another centreback

In that order. If we can get a striker and a back up midfielder in January it’d be immense but that’s a big ask.
Agreed all round. The only reason I’m citing Martial is because Erik clearly likes him and we haven’t had him at all. Just an option occasionally would help. No way is he a consistent or long term solution.

I don’t think Erik wants to start Ronaldo. I think he’s trying to make the best of a situation he doesn’t want. He’ll have his moments, but he’ll always favour a Martial or Rashford over him.

Maguire did ok, but definitely agree that he just brings an anxiety to the backline. He improved as the game went on, but only because he’s better as a ‘backs to the wall’ defender. He’s not set up to be a CB for our side. I’d have Lindelof in ahead of him every time.

Unread 30-10-2022, 09:03 PM
20LEgend1999

Unread 30-10-2022, 09:34 PM
armchair

Unread 30-10-2022, 10:03 PM
Ethers

Unread 30-10-2022, 10:04 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly

r

Priority signings -
A centre forward
Another centreback

Reckon you are mostly right on but think RtH wont be buying any more finished articles, up and comers, building a squad that play his way. Suits the glazers and is probably better for the club longer term. Might take him a season or two, but we look a lot better already. Love the guy, hope he stays for ten years and we get back to winning the league