United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-09-2021, 10:21 PM
red in cumbria

Will never forget how the Beeb covered that - it was quite literally THE MOST DISGRACEFUL THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD

Unread 13-09-2021, 10:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Will never forget how the Beeb covered that - it was quite literally THE MOST DISGRACEFUL THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD
Jonathon Pearce's utterly hysterical reaction on the radio was the best ever. No question.

Unread 13-09-2021, 11:28 PM
TravellingRed

Just watched these. Eric

Unread 14-09-2021, 06:24 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Jonathon Pearce's utterly hysterical reaction on the radio was the best ever. No question.

https://youtu.be/dHld_7DqMd8
Christ, I thought the initial few seconds were after justice was handed out by the King with how worked up he was

Quote:
"Cantona should be thrown out of the game for that sort of incident, I care not one jot about his supreme talent..."

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:26 AM
Jethro

And here is me thinking I couldn't love Eric anymore.

Also made me hate Dalglish that bit more. Bitter soak.

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:43 AM
Neo

Has Colin Hendry been doing smack three times a day for the last 20 years? Hate that Blackburn side and the fact they got their name on the trophy. No romance in their story whatsoever either; just a bored multi-millionaire using them as a plaything.

This has been an excellent show so far. The most detailed documentary on the early years of the Premier League I've ever seen. Very well made.

Eric.

Unread 14-09-2021, 08:49 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Has Colin Hendry been doing smack three times a day for the last 20 years? Hate that Blackburn side and the fact they got their name on the trophy. No romance in their story whatsoever either; just a bored multi-millionaire using them as a plaything.

This has been an excellent show so far. The most detailed documentary on the early years of the Premier League I've ever seen. Very well made.

Eric.
Most complaints seem to be that is glosses over a lot of issues when the league first started. So? It's nice to have some tinted revisionism. Loving it.

You're spot on about Blackburn.

Unread 14-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Eric.
Yep. Absolutely horrible little tin pot club with a seriously @#%&!y spine: Hendry, Sherwood, Shearer, Dalglish, Le Saux and then some remarkably average players who were pivotal to them: Ripley, Wilcox, Warhurst.

Gutted in 1995. I was 13 and having kittens in those last few minutes. They wouldn’t have been near one ever again if they hadn’t have won it in 1995. They absolutely bottled it. unfortunately, so did we

Unread 14-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Has Colin Hendry been doing smack three times a day for the last 20 years?
Lost his wife a while ago, had some botched cosmetic surgery ages ago and she wasn't very well at all for a long time before she died.

My nan was in the bed next to her in Blackpool (I think) ages ago and my mum used to speak to him and his wife a lot, from what I heard they were both really nice people and he was with her most of the time.

Pretty sure it was a long time between her falling ill initially and then passing, it probably took it out of him.

Unread 14-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Lost his wife a while ago, had some botched cosmetic surgery ages ago and she wasn't very well at all for a long time before she died.

My nan was in the bed next to her in Blackpool (I think) ages ago and my mum used to speak to him and his wife a lot, from what I heard they were both really nice people and he was with her most of the time.

Pretty sure it was a long time between her falling ill initially and then passing, it probably took it out of him.
I feel bad now.

Unread 14-09-2021, 11:01 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Yep. Absolutely horrible little tin pot club with a seriously @#%&!y spine: Hendry, Sherwood, Shearer, Dalglish, Le Saux and then some remarkably average players who were pivotal to them: Ripley, Wilcox, Warhurst.

Gutted in 1995. I was 13 and having kittens in those last few minutes. They wouldn’t have been near one ever again if they hadn’t have won it in 1995. They absolutely bottled it. unfortunately, so did we
Losing the cup final to Everton a week later was also a kick in the gonads. Could have had 3 doubles in 3 seasons.

Unread 14-09-2021, 11:12 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Truly shocking.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...c-surgery.html

Unread 14-09-2021, 07:08 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

Ludek Miklosko chose that day to have the game of his entire life, tbf. Still hate him for it.

Unread 14-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Eric.
Shearer was a £#%&!ing greedy little shite as well wasn't he. Never had the balls to step up and play for a proper big club. Was content to go to whoever dangled the most money in front of him.

Unread 14-09-2021, 10:05 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Shearer was a £#%&!ing greedy little shite as well wasn't he. Never had the balls to step up and play for a proper big club. Was content to go to whoever dangled the most money in front of him.
Tbf wasn't he prepared at one point to leave Blackburn for United, but Jack Walker said it would literally happen over his dead body - so he went to Newcastle instead?

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:02 PM
AK14

That first advert and the music bring back so many great memories of an easier time.

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Tbf wasn't he prepared at one point to leave Blackburn for United, but Jack Walker said it would literally happen over his dead body - so he went to Newcastle instead?
Shearer could have gone to whoever he wanted to. He got sold the idea of being the £#%&!ing big dog at newcastle where at United he'd have played 2nd fiddle to Cantona.

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:20 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Shearer could have gone to whoever he wanted to. He got sold the idea of being the £#%&!ing big dog at newcastle where at United he'd have played 2nd fiddle to Cantona.
I think you underestimate how much Walker's word was law at Blackburn during that era.

Unread 20-09-2021, 07:28 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I think you underestimate how much Walker's word was law at Blackburn during that era.
I don't. If his word was law to that extent then shearer wouldn't have left.

Unread 20-09-2021, 10:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I don't. If his word was law to that extent then shearer wouldn't have left.
He let him go to Newcastle, not United.
Closed Thread