United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 15-03-2017, 01:47 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
One shot on target

This one's a doozy, remember that time Norwich came to Old Trafford, beat us and had twice as many shots on target as United?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35078521
Interesting to see the league table there during the LvG lowpoint. 5th place, four points off second.

Glad to see we've improved so much tbh.

Unread 15-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Interesting to see the league table there during the LvG lowpoint. 5th place, four points off second.

In a league won by Leicester.

Unread 15-03-2017, 02:45 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
In a league won by Leicester.
And the five teams who have been above us since October are all Barcelona etc.

Unread 15-03-2017, 03:13 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Weird because I was just out with three reds who all thought last night was quite embarrassing.
It was, even the now mythical opening minutes when we were pressing was nothing particular impressive. We weren't pressing to impose our style on Chelsea, we just wanted to disrupt, and stop them. Anybody would think we were a championship level team going up against a mighty opponent, it was disheartening.

Unread 15-03-2017, 03:34 AM
Stickman

Quote:
perspective. Get some.

Unread 15-03-2017, 07:00 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Internet posturing aside, hard to believe you can't see the improvement made by the new manager.

That reaction your mates had to Monday's game. That was the same reaction to practically every game under Moyes and LVG. Of course it was more disappointing to see under LVG as he promised so much more. This alone is an improvement.

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I don't for a moment think Van Gaal could be doing any better. But I certainly think Mourinho could be doing better.
Of course he could be doing better but do could the players. He's made us hard to beat and a better team. A couple of dodgy decisions and better finishing could have got us 8 more points at home and we'd be sorted now. He's still got a lot to do and do and dead wood to shift but he's moving the club forwards again.

Unread 15-03-2017, 08:57 AM
andyroo

Sideways.

Not backwards at least.

Unread 15-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Weird because I was just out with three reds who all thought last night was quite embarrassing.
really? and which tv do they usually watch united on?

if you were a united fan you'd have a lot more positives to say about the opening 35 minutes of monday's game and you'd be fuming about the the way it was then trashed by the referee - instead of happy about it which is the way you come across.

Unread 15-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Denis Irwell

Come on Siders. You've made a rod for your own back here and there's some good lads, as opposed to the usual rent-an-argument types, making the point.

You're a lot better than this continual posturing.

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:22 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
major subby at MNIK but completely justified...

Sparky in a similar boat. Coupla other big names as well.

Interesting; very, very interesting...

If you were really serious about looking at the history of all this (and I know you're fishing) was that the early criticism of van gaal was measured and appropriate - it was disproportionately defended on every level and on every occasion by the HMS cardigan - captained by siders and supported by wrestling fan jethro et al. This was all countered by similarly harder line criticism and we descended into a shit place -it all served to make any sort of debate redundant. shame really because I ended up hating van gaal - and I'm sure that opinion was borne out of people on here rather what was going on irl.

But if you can be arsed, check my post history as I was only ever critically supportive of van gaal until about halfway through his second season when I started to lose my shit.

With Jose, I'm much happier with the spectacle but as yet, a bit unimpressed with the outcome. If we look like heading off course half way through his second season then that may change.

He's bagged his first trophy, I enjoy going again and I'm confident that we'll improve with a bit more of a clear out. It's nearly all good.

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:23 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
It was, even the now mythical opening minutes when we were pressing was nothing particular impressive. We weren't pressing to impose our style on Chelsea, we just wanted to disrupt, and stop them. Anybody would think we were a championship level team going up against a mighty opponent, it was disheartening.
Lads lads, it's 2:00am.

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

If you were really serious about looking at the history of all this (and I know you're fishing) was that the early criticism of van gaal was measured and appropriate - it was disproportionately defended on every level and on every occasion by the HMS cardigan - captained by siders and supported by wrestling fan jethro et al. This was all countered by similarly harder line criticism and we descended into a shit place -it all served to make any sort of debate redundant. shame really because I ended up hating van gaal - and I'm sure that opinion was borne out of people on here rather what was going on irl.

But if you can be arsed, check my post history as I was only ever critically supportive of van gaal until about halfway through his second season when I started to lose my shit.

With Jose, I'm much happier with the spectacle but as yet, a bit unimpressed with the outcome. If we look like heading off course half way through his second season then that may change.

He's bagged his first trophy, I enjoy going again and I'm confident that we'll improve with a bit more of a clear out. It's nearly all good.
was just having the craic mateh

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:31 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
was just having the craic mateh
I know pal - just wanted to unload.

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Far more respestable than six at the back and taking turns to kick the oppo best player, tbf.
Absolutely desperate to play 'respectable' football tbh. Respectable to who?

Prior to the sending off on Monday, if that's what we're talking about, I was enjoying the way we set about our task. A proper team unit, every man understanding his role and doing his job in a solid - if unspectacular - way and it was rattling them (and continued to rattle them after Herrera walked). Regardless of who's 'fault' Ander's sending off was, obviously it changed the dynamic instantly and for once I couldn't really moan about bringing the tree on, as the plan was obviously to keep them out (which we nearly did) and nick one on the break (which we nearly did).

I have zero complaints about how the team was set up nor how the players went about the task, up to and after the sending off.If we did that every week I'd have an issue, but we don't - he adapted to the situation.

I was frustrated as £#%&! with Pogba at the time however with the benefit of hindsight I'm not quite as infuriated with him now as I was during the game. He's clearly %@#$&!sed, imo, but that's another story for another day.

'6 at the back'. £#%&!ing hell, it's not unusual for teams to play 10 at the back against us. When we need to employ a similar tactic in a situation where we're down to 10 men away against the best team in the country, I really don't see the problem and using it to prove a point about the way Mourinho likes to play is disingenuous and a bit snide imv.

Hope hazard wasn't injured too badly xx

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

I believe Mel & Kim are the arbiter of such things

Unread 15-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack

I thought perhaps the stones

Unread 15-03-2017, 03:43 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykDsmAqExH8
We've been looking a bit tired and leggy lately. Hope we get fresh at the weekend.

Unread 15-03-2017, 07:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Come on Siders. You've made a rod for your own back here and there's some good lads, as opposed to the usual rent-an-argument types, making the point.

You're a lot better than this continual posturing.
I don't see many points being made. Just polarising the issue, which sadly is becoming more common on here.

It didn't used to be a forum for block thinking, but Mourinho has gone from being a dubious prospect last winter to having unwavering belief for 95% of people, who wouldn't have anyone else. Now you read stuff like if you're not that impressed with 6th place all season you need some perspective; you read that practically every game under LvG was embarrassing; that if you didn't like our tactics the other night you aren't a United fan (and I'm accusing of posturing ) etc. Dreary stuff tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

Prior to the sending off on Monday, if that's what we're talking about, I was enjoying the way we set about our task. A proper team unit, every man understanding his role and doing his job in a solid - if unspectacular - way and it was rattling them (and continued to rattle them after Herrera walked). Regardless of who's 'fault' Ander's sending off was, obviously it changed the dynamic instantly and for once I couldn't really moan about bringing the tree on, as the plan was obviously to keep them out (which we nearly did) and nick one on the break (which we nearly did).

I have zero complaints about how the team was set up nor how the players went about the task, up to and after the sending off.If we did that every week I'd have an issue, but we don't - he adapted to the situation.

I was frustrated as £#%&! with Pogba at the time however with the benefit of hindsight I'm not quite as infuriated with him now as I was during the game. He's clearly %@#$&!sed, imo, but that's another story for another day.

'6 at the back'. £#%&!ing hell, it's not unusual for teams to play 10 at the back against us. When we need to employ a similar tactic in a situation where we're down to 10 men away against the best team in the country, I really don't see the problem and using it to prove a point about the way Mourinho likes to play is disingenuous and a bit snide imv.

Hope hazard wasn't injured too badly xx
Delighted for you, mate. As I have said a couple of times since the game, it's all about opinions. That's why we're here.

Unread 15-03-2017, 07:55 PM
djsst

Quote:
Richard Keys‏Verified account @richardajkeys Mar 13
More
So Hazard was kicked off the park? Utd committed 14 fouls ALL NIGHT.

Go on keysie, tell'em