United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2019, 07:17 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Told Leicester he wants to sign for city.
this is good. very good. maybe we'll look, you know, outside of a 150 mile radius for a quality CB?

Unread 03-07-2019, 07:38 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
this is good. very good. maybe we'll look, you know, outside of a 150 mile radius for a quality CB?
197 miles good enough for you?

Unread 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
197 miles good enough for you?
Like autotrader this.......wonder whether we are looking for cloth or leather

Unread 03-07-2019, 07:41 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
Like autotrader this.......wonder whether we are looking for cloth or leather

“One premier league player, five career goals, never raced or rallied”

Unread 03-07-2019, 07:42 AM
shenwen

Don't care how many miles from Manchester we find players. Let's just find the right ones.

Unread 03-07-2019, 07:43 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

“One premier league player, five career goals, never raced or rallied”
Diesel engine, bit rough first thing in morning, but looks good with furry dice

Unread 03-07-2019, 07:48 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
Diesel engine, bit rough first thing in morning, but looks good with furry dice
But enough about big mike

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

PL proven means he has played well in the PL and is used to the pace and style of the league. Pretty simple I would think. We've signed defenders in the recent past who haven't had this and took a long time to settle, if at all.

The question then becomes: is he a good enough player? I would say that he is while James Collins isn't. That's logic.
Yes. Its very simple. Proven means he's played well in it on occasion and knows the league.

Which qualifies pretty much every defender in the league.

They've all played well and know the league, at some point..

The question then becomes 'is he good enough?', yes ... but it wasn't the initial criteria.

Maguire has proven he can play well for Leicester City. Sometimes. I also remember him having a poor start to last season after the hype of his world cup.

In terms of being valued as the most expensive defender in the world, he's proven nothing.

He's achieved nothing in the game bar a handful of decent performances for club and country.

At the age of 26.

Is he better than what we have? Maybe. Not by much, if so. I'd want a higher bar for success than 'better than Rojo and Jones'.

I don't think he's good enough to take us to the level we aspire to be. I think he's bang average.

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Yes. Its very simple. Proven means he's played well in it on occasion and knows the league.

The question then becomes 'is he good enough?', yes ... but it wasn't the initial criteria.

Maguire has proven he can play well for Leicester City. Sometimes. I also remember him having a poor start to last season after the hype of his world cup.

In terms of being valued as the most expensive defender in the world, he's proven nothing.

He's achieved nothing in the game bar a handful of decent performances for club and country.

At the age of 26.

Is he better than what we have? Maybe. Not by much, if so. I'd want a higher bar for success than 'better than Rojo and Jones'.

I don't think he's good enough to take us to the level we aspire to be. I think he's bang average.
Going to play devils advocate here.

VVD at this moment in time is the most expensive defender of all time. What had he proven before signing for Liverpool? Oh, he looked good for Celtic and Southampton. Pretty much everyone thought he was hideously over priced, yet here he is with a CL winners medal and a breath short of a PL winners medal.

We don't have a level to aspire to at the moment. We need consistency and it starts at the back. We now have the best fullback in the league and a semi reliable lad the other side.

Maguire would compliment Lindelof perfectly. This is why we're not in for Alderweireld imo. They're too similar and the latter isn't particularly good in the air.

The price? It is what it is. Clubs will be looking at previous deals like VVD and will want a slice. Added to the fact the club has continuously been rinsed for English talent makes the price kind of understandable. Couldn't give less of a shit personally. We're about to see a 19 with one good season under his belt have his agent hold a club to ransom and command an obscene wage. 70m for an English defender in his prime seems about right.

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Brucie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones

At the age of 26.

Our scouting system is a mess

No established, world class defender, leader is gonna want to come here with the club the way it is, with the current manager's track record and without CL football.

So if our scouting system is that £#%&!ed that we can't identify the next world class central defender and given our current situation, we are 99% unlikely to attract the proven best around, who else do we go for?

Given that you've called for Ole to be given time and that it's not an overnight project and it'll take a few years etc etc, "Better than Jones and Rojo" is about as good as we can wish for right now

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro

VVD at this moment in time is the most expensive defender of all time. What had he proven before signing for Liverpool? Oh, he looked good for Celtic and Southampton. Pretty much everyone thought he was hideously over priced, yet here he is with a CL winners medal and a breath short of a PL winners medal.

We don't have a level to aspire to at the moment. We need consistency and it starts at the back. We now have the best fullback in the league and a semi reliable lad the other side.

Maguire would compliment Lindelof perfectly. This is why we're not in for Alderweireld imo. They're too similar and the latter isn't particularly good in the air.

The price? It is what it is. Clubs will be looking at previous deals like VVD and will want a slice. Added to the fact the club has continuously been rinsed for English talent makes the price kind of understandable. Couldn't give less of a shit personally. We're about to see a 19 with one good season under his belt have his agent hold a club to ransom and command an obscene wage. 70m for an English defender in his prime seems about right.
Good post.

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:48 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

Fair comment.

I still get the feeling that he's going to be a massive clumsy #@&%!, but I'd rather get him in than make do with what we have.

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Jethro

I don't get where Maguire's calamitous tag comes from. Granted I've hardly watched a other teams highlights the past few seasons but he's always looked good from what I have seen.

If you're a northern defender these days does it automatically mean you're a thick skulled oaf?

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:59 AM
andyroo

I think Maguire starts from first principle of being a thick skulled oaf rather than being a northern defender. The defending is a function of his thick skulled oafdom.

Had enough of sideshow freaks at this club. How about some football players?

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:12 AM
AK14

Quote:

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Bunker Buster

There's 10 better centre backs in the league, more than half a dozen available.....

Then we have Italy, a vast amount of good German lads and the elephant in the coffee shop de Ligt..

But yeah, the scouting network is a mess and VVD won the champions league, let's chuck a deadline day £90m at chasm bonce.

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Brucie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
There's 10 better centre backs in the league, more than half a dozen available.....

Then we have Italy, a vast amount of good German lads and the elephant in the coffee shop de Ligt..

But yeah, the scouting network is a mess and VVD won the champions league, let's chuck a deadline day £90m at chasm bonce.
Who are the 10 and would they come here?

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:21 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:

Ey up, Bob Bishop has logged on.

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:21 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:

the elephant has gone to Juve hasnt he?

So lets hear your list of the more than half a dozen Premier League CBs better than Macguire who are available right now........go

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Yeah but his head is shaped like a Lego piece

The question “is he good enough” was never the criteria Maybe for (aimed at clowners) but pretty sure the rest of us have been including it
Closed Thread