Sorry about the facebook link, I cant find any others confirming it
good news that - should still have been something better last week though

Unread 05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Wez

Thumbs up Re: United to pay for Albert Scanlon's funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
good news that - should still have been something better last week though
Definitely, the players wore black armbands, but a minutes silence wouldnt have gone a miss

Unread 05-01-2010, 07:21 PM
redhegemony

Default Re: United to pay for Albert Scanlon's funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...4788758?ref=nf

Sorry about the facebook link, I cant find any others confirming it
Clearly conclusive proof that the debt isn't a problem.

Unread 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Good news. Nice to see the club still has a soul.

Unread 05-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Definitely, the players wore black armbands, but a minutes silence wouldnt have gone a miss
Black armbands but no minutes silence?

Unread 05-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
Black armbands but no minutes silence?
Yes mate, they just made an announcement at half time about Albert passing away

Unread 06-01-2010, 12:13 AM
King Schlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Good news. Nice to see the club still has a soul.
Lets get something straight here pal. They are not doing this because the club still has a soul, they are doing this because they have moles on every single United forum and they have seen how pissed off the fans are with the £#%&!ing disgraceful send off he got.

Unread 06-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Grimson

I complained to the club several years ago about Les Sealey not being properly remembered shortly after he died. Some toady replied very promptly and said that the sheer number of ex-United players meant that they couldn't recognise everyone who deserved it. That was fine, but he went on to say that Les didn't make "too many" first team appearances. Which was true, in a relative sense, but it sounded disrespectful saying it.

Unread 06-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I complained to the club several years ago about Les Sealey not being properly remembered shortly after he died. Some toady replied very promptly and said that the sheer number of ex-United players meant that they couldn't recognise everyone who deserved it. That was fine, but he went on to say that Les didn't make "too many" first team appearances. Which was true, in a relative sense, but it sounded disrespectful saying it.
Actually, it's mildly refreshing that someone told you the truth for a change rather than spinning some corporate line.

The minute's silence has become too common (it happened extremely rarely 20 years ago) and as such has devalued the tribute when it is made for players who have served the club for significant extended periods - we are not grief hunting Scousers.

The club knew that this bloke survived the greatest tragedy in our history and wasn't minted and paying for the funeral was the least they could do - better if it had been done quietly without PR pressure.

Unread 06-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Camel

rip albert.

as for the rest, this says it as eloquently as i'd have liked to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Actually, it's mildly refreshing that someone told you the truth for a change rather than spinning some corporate line.

The minute's silence has become too common (it happened extremely rarely 20 years ago) and as such has devalued the tribute when it is made for players who have served the club for significant extended periods - we are not grief hunting Scousers.

The club knew that this bloke survived the greatest tragedy in our history and wasn't minted and paying for the funeral was the least they could do - better if it had been done quietly without PR pressure.

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

Two of which were the FA and CWC finals. There really are some shithouses employed at United.

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Two of which were the FA and CWC finals.
That was my response. Didn't get a second reply.

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Two of which were the FA and CWC finals. There really are some shithouses employed at United.
Exactly. That's appalling. At the very least players who were key members of fondly-remembered cup winning sides should be respected properly.

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Exactly. That's appalling. At the very least players who were key members of fondly-remembered cup winning sides should be respected properly.
you'd think that it's a role that could be played by an intermediary between club and supporters to remind the corporates of such events

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Are you serious?

Did Les play more than 20 odd games for United? I'm not sure the fact he played in two big finals makes him any more important when he dies - the tributes should be for people who have played hundreds of games for the club.

There will be a minutes silence every other game using this criteria.

The worst hypocrisy was City retiring one of their shirts for Marc Vivien Foe who was actually only on loan to them and had been booed of the pitch by the Bitters more than once. Woeful post-Diana syndrome at it's worst.

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:55 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Schlong
Lets get something straight here pal. They are not doing this because the club still has a soul, they are doing this because they have moles on every single United forum and they have seen how pissed off the fans are with the £#%&!ing disgraceful send off he got.

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:55 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Are you serious?

Did Les play more than 20 odd games for United? I'm not sure the fact he played in two big finals makes him any more important when he dies - the tributes should be for people who have played hundreds of games for the club.

The worst hypocrisy was City retiring one of their shirts for Marc Vivien Foe who was actually only on loan to them and had been booed of the pitch by the Bitters more than once. Woeful post-Diana syndrome at it's worst.
Agreed.

Unread 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
wee man

Quote:
Are you serious?

Yeah I'd generally agree with that. But like everything there should be the exceptions. Les was only in his early/mid 40s when he died. Far too young. That was the particular tragedy in his case and imho deserved an exception to be made.

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Are you serious?

I agree with that last sentiment but not where Les Sealey was concerned.

If he'd not been around to replace the comical Leighton in the 1990 replay we could easily have lost. Would Fergie have stayed? Who knows, but Sealey was a key figure in Fergie's first cup win and thus the rest of the success that followed. And has been said he was only 40-odd.
Closed Thread