Closed Thread

Unread 13-10-2020, 07:47 AM
puressence

Hugs

Unread 13-10-2020, 07:52 AM
Red D

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
wow, that's quite a lot of effort for quite a lot of nonsense.
facts

Last played for spain in 2012 (overage u21 player ffs)
Gets subbed off nearly every game he starts (we're invariably losing)
Can only play in his 'in the hole' special position.

But he's a lovely man. Wouldn't harm a fly. Get's the club, writes a weekly apologetic blog and would be in the stand with the fans if he wasn't playing

Unread 13-10-2020, 08:14 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red D
facts

Last played for spain in 2012 (overage u21 player ffs)
A) Not sure what the relevance of this is. I am sure there are dozens of Spanish qualified players who don't play for the national team who would actually improve us.

B) It's inaccurate.

National team Year Apps Goals
Spain 2009 7 3
2010 3 0
2011 6 2
2012 4 1
2013 12 3
2014 2 1
2015 4 0
2016 3 0
Total 41 10

Unread 13-10-2020, 08:40 AM
Red D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
A) Not sure what the relevance of this is. I am sure there are dozens of Spanish qualified players who don't play for the national team who would actually improve us.

B) It's inaccurate.

National team Year Apps Goals
Spain 2009 7 3
2010 3 0
2011 6 2
2012 4 1
2013 12 3
2014 2 1
2015 4 0
2016 3 0
Total 41 10
The relevance is that if he was any good. A player at the peak of his career would be getting into his national squad as a minimum.

Oh and your 'stats' are including him being on the bench in friendlies and not kicking a ball. and that was 5 years ago.

Accepting mediocrity because someone is 'nice' is the main reason we are in this mess.

Unread 13-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Ethers

Imagine watching us for the past 7/8 years and thinking one of the main reasons we’ve been consistently shit is down to one of the few players we’ve got with genuine technical ability.

Being as good as Mata with the ball used to be the norm for a United player - he now stands out as an oddity.

Unread 13-10-2020, 08:56 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Imagine watching us for the past 7/8 years and thinking one of the main reasons we’ve been consistently shit is down to one of the few players we’ve got with genuine technical ability.

Being as good as Mata with the ball used to be the norm for a United player - he now stands out as an oddity.
And when he is on the pitch with Bruno, you can see the difference with players that are on the same wavelength and have the technical ability to execute what comes into their minds.

Unread 13-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Lok

Quote:
The relevance is that if he was any good. A player at the peak of his career would be getting into his national squad as a minimum.

Oh and your 'stats' are including him being on the bench in friendlies and not kicking a ball. and that was 5 years ago.

Accepting mediocrity because someone is 'nice' is the main reason we are in this mess.
So you make up statistics and then belittle the real ones when you're made to look a @#%&!?

There's a million things to hate about United but it's a little odd that anyone can find time in their day to get angry about Mata.

Unread 13-10-2020, 09:18 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

There's a million things to hate about United but it's a little odd that anyone can find time in their day to get angry about Mata.
tbf, it’s because he’s a total nonentity.

Unread 13-10-2020, 09:39 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
tbf, it’s because he’s a total nonentity.
Harsh on Red D but probably fair if we’re being honest

Unread 13-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Red D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
The main reason we are shite is that we accept mediocrity and have a succession of shite managers that keep giving dross like Mata a 2nd/3rd/4th chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
So you make up statistics and then belittle the real ones when you're made to look a c***?
I took his international stats from his Wiki. Maybe one of you could edit it for him to include those magical 24 minutes he played in 2016.

Quote:

International career

Mata helped Spain win the 2006 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship, where he was a key player. He finished the championship second to his teammate Alberto Bueno (five goals) as top goal scorer of the competition, with four in five matches.[128]

On 1 February 2007, under-21 coach Iñaki Sáez included him on his squad for the friendly against England, alongside Real Madrid teammates Roberto Soldado, José Manuel Jurado, Sergio Sánchez, Miguel Torres, Esteban Granero, and Antonio Adán, at just 18 years and 10 months.

On 14 November 2008, Vicente del Bosque called up Mata for the senior team to play in a friendly against Chile. He did not leave the bench in a 3–0 home win. On 28 March 2009, he finally made his debut, playing in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Turkey, a 1–0 win in Madrid. He came on as a substitute for teammate David Villa in the 63rd minute.

In June 2009, Del Bosque included Mata for the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, the youngster's first senior tournament. He started in the second group match against Iraq and came on as a substitute for Albert Riera in the semi-final loss to the United States.

On 9 September 2009, Mata scored his first goal for the senior team, as the 3–0 win against Estonia secured a place in the World Cup in South Africa. He followed this up with the winner against Armenia on 10 October, scoring a penalty to steal a 2–1 win.[129] Picked for the final stages, he appeared once for the eventual champions, replacing Fernando Torres for the final 20 minutes of the 2–0 group stage win against Honduras.

In 2011, the following summer, he went back to the under-21 side, playing the role of senior squad member and helped Spain win the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship in Denmark. Mata himself was included in UEFA's Team of the Tournament and named as the tournament's Golden Player.

Mata returned to the senior squad for UEFA Euro 2012 and, after coming on as a substitute, scored Spain's fourth goal in the final as Spain defeated Italy 4–0 to retain their title as champions of Europe.

Mata was included in Spain's squad for the 2012 Olympic football tournament as one of their three designated overage players. Spain, however, failed to score in any of their opening three matches and were eliminated at the group stage.[131]

Unread 13-10-2020, 02:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
The main reason we are shite is that we accept mediocrity and have a succession of shite managers that keep giving dross like Mata a 2nd/3rd/4th chance.
I agree with that, but I cite Ashley Young as the prime example. Mata was at least really good at some point in his career.

Unread 13-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Red D

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I agree with that, but I cite Ashley Young as the prime example. Mata was at least really good at some point in his career.

Unread 13-10-2020, 02:46 PM
Lok

Quote:

I took his international stats from his Wiki. Maybe one of you could edit it for him to include those magical 24 minutes he played in 2016.

I don't think any manager is giving Mata a chance. He's a squad player who comes in when someone is injured and plays with the kids in the League Cup.

I doubt Ole puts him on thinking "maybe this is the solution to all my problems"

I'd much rather him than Lingard.

Unread 13-10-2020, 06:02 PM
red in cumbria

Thumbs up

Quote:
You've finally been outdone in the anti-Mata stakes pal

Unread 13-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Buck

Quote:
Thought we were getting a superstar when Mata signed in 2014. Was amazing at Chelsea racking up goals and assists. Player of the year when they won the Champions League.

I'm not quite sure why he never nailed down that status in his prime years here.

Unread 13-10-2020, 09:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Thought we were getting a superstar when Mata signed in 2014. Was amazing at Chelsea racking up goals and assists. Player of the year when they won the Champions League.

https://youtu.be/hHTigW3gWIk

I'm not quite sure why he never nailed down that status in his prime years here.
Might have something to do with the fact that since he signed we've been a £#%&!ing bag of wishy washy inconsistent shit with 4 managers in 6 years.

Unread 13-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Might have something to do with the fact that since he signed we've been a £#%&!ing bag of wishy washy inconsistent shit with 4 managers in 6 years.
4 managers in 2.5 years at Chelsea

Unread 13-10-2020, 09:43 PM
AK14

Quote:

Tbf I think it’s out of the managers hands when the board are giving players like Mata at his age over 100k a week on a multi year contract.

The managers know they won’t be able to replace a player like mata because of funds so it’s best to keep him around as a squad player instead of some one like Andy P.

Unread 13-10-2020, 10:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
4 managers in 2.5 years at Chelsea
Plus basically unlimited funds (certainly in the last couple of years, after Roman went through a bit of an "i'm bored" period)

Unread 14-10-2020, 08:46 AM
Stickman

Not actually one of the players I’d get rid of if he’s happy to sit on the bench.
Closed Thread