United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Marvel7

Default David Moyes end of season appraisal

Thinking of the qualities you would grade a manager on, thought I would give David Moyes a progress appraisal. Areas under review will be; results, tactics, motivation, transfers, and personality and strength of character.

Results

Personally feel there are only 4 results this season to feel proud of, the 1-0 against Arsenal, the league cup win against Liverpool, the away win against Leverkusen and the second leg 3-0 against Olympiakos.

On the flip side the list of disappointing results are; home and away to City, home and away to Liverpool, away to Chelsea, home to West Brom, away to Cardiff, home to Everton, home to Newcastle, home to Tottenham, FA Cup against Swansea, League Cup semi v Sunderland, away to Stoke, home against Fulham, first leg of Champions League v Olympiakos.

So thats a fail on the results.

Tactics

There is only one occassion where you can say David Moyes tactics got us the result, that was at home to Arsenal, as painful as that was to watch.

He has however got it tactically wrong on numerous occassions and his in game tactics are baffling at times.

Not once this season in a game we have strugged in has he changed tactics or formations to turn a result around.

So thats a fail on tactics.

Motivation

You could argue that anyone picking up 5m a year should not need motivation, but the modern footballer is a fragile beast and needs a kick up the arse from time to time as well as a well placed compliment from time to time. Looking at the players from this season to last the only one who has played better this season is Wayne Rooney, you could give credit to Moyes for that but personally I think Fergie leaving motivated Rooney. He really wanted to be able to say success was not all down to SAF and maybe show that SAF was wrong about him.

RVP and Michael Carrick have both performed considerably worse than last season.

Wilfred Zaha, i'll be honest, i'm not a big fan, I think he has future Aston Villa star written all over him, however, what kind of motivation is to the lad who has just completed a big money move to the biggest club in the country and knows he must wait his time to watch Ashley Young and Antonia Valencia put in one pathetic performance after the other and young Zaha not even get a sniff, and then despite the fact Young and Valencia are still stinking up the place he gets shipped out on loan.

For Wilfred Zaha you can read Nick Powell, one of the most promising young midfielders in the country, at a club that the whole world knows in struggling for midfielders and never given a thought.

In terms of the media I have not heard or read a single interview with Moyes that has stirred the passions and made me feel there is hunger and passion. In pre and post match interviews he has not once used the occassion to build up one of his players confidence. Instead he prefers to tell the world that Liverpool are favourites for a game at Old Trafford.

So that a fail on motivation.

Transfers

There are only two to judge him on so far.

Fellaini, now I will admit that I was a fan of Fellaini the last couple of seasons at Everton, but that was mainly playing further up the field, taking long balls, closing down centre halfs and being a nuissance. If Moyes had intended to use him like that I would not have been happy but you could understand the signing, however he has been used in central midfield and has been a disaster. Many managers can look at a player that is good at one thing and believe they can do a specific different job for them, but Moyes was Fellaini's manager for several seasons had should have known better.

Mata, a magnificent bastard, a superb player, long term will be a great signing. However he is a player that plays in what is probably the strongest part of our squad, the money spent at the time would have been better used buying a midfielder and a left back, that would have strengthened the squad in areas in far more desperate need.

So thats a fail in transfers.

Personality and Strength of Character.

His whole personna reeks of negativity, defeat and fear.

He has not once this season made a 'gutsy' decision.

He waits too long when positive substitutions are needed.

Patrice Evra has been ripped apart countless times this season, the only time he considered Buttner was when Evra got suspended, im not Buttner's biggest fan but a level of performance like Evra's deserves dropping, Moyes would be too scared of the criticism to do it.

Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie have now had two seasons playing together, it takes less than one hand to count the amount of times they have played well together, not once has Moyes considered dropping one or pushing Rooney out wide, instead they are shoe horned in game after game when it clearly is not working.

So thats a fail on Personality and Strength of Character.

So there you have it, he is failing on every level. I challenge any #Moyesinner to refute this post with anything better than 'he needs time' or 'its fergies fault'

Unread 10-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Zorg

Could have just said 'see me'.

Unread 10-04-2014, 09:59 PM
red in cumbria

Obvious conclusions are obvious

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:01 PM
andyroo

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Arnold Muhren

Grade: Kill yourself you c***.

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Mr Castro

The football equivalent of getting aids and cancer in the same day.

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Shooter McGavin

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:20 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
Thinking of the qualities you would grade a manager on, thought I would give David Moyes a progress appraisal. Areas under review will be; results, tactics, motivation, transfers, and personality and strength of character.

Results

Personally feel there are only 4 results this season to feel proud of, the 1-0 against Arsenal, the league cup win against Liverpool, the away win against Leverkusen and the second leg 3-0 against Olympiakos.

On the flip side the list of disappointing results are; home and away to City, home and away to Liverpool, away to Chelsea, home to West Brom, away to Cardiff, home to Everton, home to Newcastle, home to Tottenham, FA Cup against Swansea, League Cup semi v Sunderland, away to Stoke, home against Fulham, first leg of Champions League v Olympiakos.

So thats a fail on the results.

Tactics

There is only one occassion where you can say David Moyes tactics got us the result, that was at home to Arsenal, as painful as that was to watch.

He has however got it tactically wrong on numerous occassions and his in game tactics are baffling at times.

Not once this season in a game we have strugged in has he changed tactics or formations to turn a result around.

So thats a fail on tactics.

Motivation

You could argue that anyone picking up 5m a year should not need motivation, but the modern footballer is a fragile beast and needs a kick up the arse from time to time as well as a well placed compliment from time to time. Looking at the players from this season to last the only one who has played better this season is Wayne Rooney, you could give credit to Moyes for that but personally I think Fergie leaving motivated Rooney. He really wanted to be able to say success was not all down to SAF and maybe show that SAF was wrong about him.

RVP and Michael Carrick have both performed considerably worse than last season.

Wilfred Zaha, i'll be honest, i'm not a big fan, I think he has future Aston Villa star written all over him, however, what kind of motivation is to the lad who has just completed a big money move to the biggest club in the country and knows he must wait his time to watch Ashley Young and Antonia Valencia put in one pathetic performance after the other and young Zaha not even get a sniff, and then despite the fact Young and Valencia are still stinking up the place he gets shipped out on loan.

For Wilfred Zaha you can read Nick Powell, one of the most promising young midfielders in the country, at a club that the whole world knows in struggling for midfielders and never given a thought.

In terms of the media I have not heard or read a single interview with Moyes that has stirred the passions and made me feel there is hunger and passion. In pre and post match interviews he has not once used the occassion to build up one of his players confidence. Instead he prefers to tell the world that Liverpool are favourites for a game at Old Trafford.

So that a fail on motivation.

Transfers

There are only two to judge him on so far.

Fellaini, now I will admit that I was a fan of Fellaini the last couple of seasons at Everton, but that was mainly playing further up the field, taking long balls, closing down centre halfs and being a nuissance. If Moyes had intended to use him like that I would not have been happy but you could understand the signing, however he has been used in central midfield and has been a disaster. Many managers can look at a player that is good at one thing and believe they can do a specific different job for them, but Moyes was Fellaini's manager for several seasons had should have known better.

Mata, a magnificent bastard, a superb player, long term will be a great signing. However he is a player that plays in what is probably the strongest part of our squad, the money spent at the time would have been better used buying a midfielder and a left back, that would have strengthened the squad in areas in far more desperate need.

So thats a fail in transfers.

Personality and Strength of Character.

His whole personna reeks of negativity, defeat and fear.

He has not once this season made a 'gutsy' decision.

He waits too long when positive substitutions are needed.

Patrice Evra has been ripped apart countless times this season, the only time he considered Buttner was when Evra got suspended, im not Buttner's biggest fan but a level of performance like Evra's deserves dropping, Moyes would be too scared of the criticism to do it.

Wayne Rooney and Robin Van Persie have now had two seasons playing together, it takes less than one hand to count the amount of times they have played well together, not once has Moyes considered dropping one or pushing Rooney out wide, instead they are shoe horned in game after game when it clearly is not working.

So thats a fail on Personality and Strength of Character.

So there you have it, he is failing on every level. I challenge any #Moyesinner to refute this post with anything better than 'he needs time' or 'its fergies fault'
you're right about moyes, although there was one half time turn-around in tactics when kagawa went central... it's just that he didn't learn anything from it.

you're wrong about valencia. and, given he put in another top performance last night, it's an odd time to be wrong.

Last edited by jem; 10-04-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Aman27deep

Mostly well written but pointless innit? Everyone knows Moyes is useless.

Unread 10-04-2014, 10:50 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
Everyone knows Moyes is useless.
you sure?

I reckon after a few more threads on this, we should do a poll.
Closed Thread