United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
He's earning over £150K a week net at Santos. Why leave?
Because you can't play in Brazil if you want to be the best player in the world.

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Because you can't play in Brazil if you want to be the best player in the world.
Pele?

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
rogieop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
He's 20 years old.... playing in his home country, earning 150k a week.... i know what id be doing.

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Pele?
Football has changed quite a bit in the last 50 years.

I'd imagine most South American footballers dream of playing in Europe. Part of that will be because of the money but it's also about proving themselves against the best players in the world.

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
rogieop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Football has changed quite a bit in the last 50 years.

I'd imagine most South American footballers dream of playing in Europe. Part of that will be because of the money but it's also about proving themselves against the best players in the world.
And very shortly you're going to see a major shift back the other way.

southamerican economies are vastly improved and with the state europes in they are going to be able to offer more money with less tax.

I can see a few players heading that direction in the next few years. Will probably start with one or two older players and go from there.

can see it being a real option for some of europes top players.

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
but it's also about proving themselves against the best players in the world.
That's what the World Cup is for pal.

If more clubs in Brazil could offer the sort of wages European clubs do, I think you'd see very few of their players come over here. I've seen interviews with Zico, Socrates, Romario, Rivaldo etc all say that they only played in Europe because of the money on offer.

I expect Neymar will be over soon enough. I hope he doesn't go to Barcelona tbh, much rather see him go to a club where he's the main player the team is built around.

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
And very shortly you're going to see a major shift back the other way.

southamerican economies are vastly improved and with the state europes in they are going to be able to offer more money with less tax.

I can see a few players heading that direction in the next few years. Will probably start with one or two older players and go from there.

can see it being a real option for some of europes top players.
Seedorf for a starter..

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Pop

Forlan is off too. Only a matter of time before Messi, Ronaldo and Cleverley are on their way over there.

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Seedorf for a starter..
Trezeguet too.

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Lok

Seedorf has a Brazilian wife and Trezeguet grew up in Argentina.

There wont be an exodus of European footballers to South America any time soon.

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Seedorf has a Brazilian wife and Trezeguet grew up in Argentina.

There wont be an exodus of European footballers to South America any time soon.
That's true, but mainly it's true because South America doesn't exactly need to reach out to Europe for young talent. Still, if big money keeps flowing into Brazil, don't think some players won't follow it. There are plenty who would play for Flamengo over Dortmund or Lyon if the money is better. There will always be players who follow the money - Beckham, Drogba, Anelka just recently. They don't care how obvious a money-grab everyone can see it is - and going to Brazil or Argentina would at least not have that stigma, being proper footballing countries.

Unread 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Lok

I agree that players will go anywhere for money but I don't think there will be much money in the South American game.

I don't think it's fair to say that Beckham went to LA for the money, I think he went for the lifestyle.

Unread 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I agree that players will go anywhere for money but I don't think there will be much money in the South American game.

I don't think it's fair to say that Beckham went to LA for the money, I think he went for the lifestyle.
Yeah but I think the money helped.

re: money in Brazil, here's what's changed: the top clubs got a huge new TV revenue deal, on top of the country's emergence as a global economic power in the face of a shrinking economy everywhere else. Clubs also get an enormous amount of leeway from the government when it comes to taxes and loans. So you've seen a lot of established European-based players lured back to Brazil - Wagner Love, Deco, Luis Fabiano, Jadson, Andres D'Alessandro, and Denilson, to name a few. All but Deco were still in their twenties.

They can't compete with the top European clubs, of course, but it isn't going to be as easy for mid-level Spanish and Portuguese clubs to sign any Brazilian they want for a few million. The big Brazilian clubs don't need it to pay the lighting bill anymore.

None of it equals an exodus of European stars to South America - as you rightly say, that won't happen. But it does look like a return to the 70s, when the likes of Zico, Falcao, Eder etc didn't see much reason to go to Europe, financially or otherwise, and only did so (if at all) after they had achieved everything they wanted to achieve with their domestic clubs.

Unread 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Seedorf for a starter..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Trezeguet too.
Heard Malouda's going there too. It's the new elephants' graveyard, like MLS or China. Or us

Unread 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM
rafabio

hopefully he doesn't come to prem (since united would never sign him). better he signs for barca/madrid, will ensure they will win a few more champions league than city/chelsea

Unread 04-07-2012, 12:31 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
That's true, but mainly it's true because South America doesn't exactly need to reach out to Europe for young talent. Still, if big money keeps flowing into Brazil, don't think some players won't follow it. There are plenty who would play for Flamengo over Dortmund or Lyon if the money is better. There will always be players who follow the money - Beckham, Drogba, Anelka just recently. They don't care how obvious a money-grab everyone can see it is - and going to Brazil or Argentina would at least not have that stigma, being proper footballing countries.
It's a lot tougher, too, especially in Brazil. The players are held up in hotels for days before games, and there's so much travel time across a huge country. Huge amount of games, too, with the state championships preceding the league championship and domestic and continental cups possible. Then there's the insane level of fan pressure, which would be more intense for any foreign import.

I'm surprised Seedorf has gone for it, tbh. They'll be very quick to get on his case if he takes it lightly. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on, but I can imagine a lot of European players being attracted to the idea, but perhaps backing out after a little research into what they're getting themselves in for and deciding on the China, Middle East, States option.

Unread 04-07-2012, 12:34 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Heard Malouda's going there too. It's the new elephants' graveyard, like MLS or China. Or us
shyeah, like we're going to be anyone's last big payday.

Unread 04-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
shyeah, like we're going to be anyone's last big payday.
the glazers?

Unread 04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
the glazers?
grrrrrrr.

wouldn't mind so much it really were their last payday.

Unread 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

All his skills and goal against Gremio.

06:33 :mmmonkey:

Also scored a completely unspectacular header, which should please some of you boring bastards.
Closed Thread