United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Aman27deep

Rafabz talking balls as always. Jones has been our best player(so far).

Unread 12-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Neo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep

Bang on, Deepers.

Jonah has been very good despite the sea of shit around him. Will be a great player for us NQAT.

Unread 12-09-2014, 04:12 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
He's shit.

Unread 12-09-2014, 04:16 PM
andyroo

United's best player so far. As accolades go that's up there with World's Tallest Midget. Take a bow Phil. Take a bow.

Unread 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM
ziggyman17

Roll on sunday.. Can't wait.. Finally we have a coach after fergie that knows what to do.. Fergie went too soft the last 5 years of his rein.

Unread 12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Ethers

Absolutely mugging off that journo

Unread 12-09-2014, 04:58 PM
utd99

Why are the questions always such %@#$&!s? Do we not have any journalists that can ask insightful questions about football that don't always have an ulterior motive or sensationalist slant? Is this the best we can do?

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Why are the questions always such %@#$&!s? Do we not have any journalists that can ask insightful questions about football that don't always have an ulterior motive or sensationalist slant? Is this the best we can do?
I think you've answered your own question there. The journos in this country aren't the slightest bit interested in the actual match coming up at the weekend or things like tactics. Pre-match press conferences for them are a way to confront managers with rumours, hear-say and scurrilous leading questions. It's all about getting some tittle-tattle to splash all over the back pages for the next few days.

It's why Jose Mourinho hated Spain and Italy. The journalists there would give him a proper grilling on tactics and where players should play etc etc. Over here, Mourinho swaggers out in a tracksuit, throws the press a couple of facetious comments; something funny and they lap it up. He must think it's like playing to room full of #@&%!s.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:03 PM
doudou

Quote:
We all know that the press corps is essentially a bunch of dullards with a 5-second attention span. Add to this the obsessive pressure from editors for scoops, particularly spurious transfer gossip, not to mention scandals, and that's why the football press pack doesn't write about football in any meaningful sense.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:07 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think you've answered your own question there. The journos in this country aren't the slightest bit interested in the actual match coming up at the weekend or things like tactics. Pre-match press conferences for them are a way to confront managers with rumours, hear-say and scurrilous leading questions. It's all about getting some tittle-tattle to splash all over the back pages for the next few days.

It's why Jose Mourinho hated Spain and Italy. The journalists there would give him a proper grilling on tactics and where players should play etc etc. Over here, Mourinho swaggers out in a tracksuit, throws the press a couple of facetious comments; something funny and they lap it up. He must think it's like playing to room full of #@&%!s.
Spot on this. Whereas say Guardiola loves the football questions, and remember what he handed out to that £#%&!wit Jackson when he tried to trap him into a dig at Moyes. He's got his priorities right. And more importantly, so does van Gaal, he answered the Welbeck question with a football answer and everyone's seeing their arse about it

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Zorg

Quote:
It's typically English. It's the same mentality that has teams of pundits getting paid thousands to go to World Cups and never doing any preparation or saying anything even remotely insightful. They rely entirely on gossip, weak jokes and tired clichés and it's why there are only about two football journalists I pay any attention to. The rest I wouldn't piss on even if they had a reason why they really urgently needed someone to piss on them.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:15 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
It's typically English. It's the same mentality that has teams of pundits getting paid thousands to go to World Cups and never doing any preparation or saying anything even remotely insightful. They rely entirely on gossip, weak jokes and tired clichés and it's why there are only about two football journalists I pay any attention to. The rest I wouldn't piss on even if they had a reason why they really urgently needed someone to piss on them.
Such as having been stung by a box jellyfish.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:15 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
I was just thinking the same, the questions are so £#%&!ing boring, they literally just ask about the latest rumours/talk is and try to get a reaction to sensationalise. I bet he can't even be arsed turning up for them.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
And then being shown up by the 'guest' pundits, who despite not having English as their first language manage to sound more articulate, intelligent & vastly more knowledgeable about the game than their British counterparts.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Such as having been stung by a box jellyfish.
For example.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM
andyroo

Quote:
For example.
It's a good example. It's something I'd like to see happen more often, British football correspondents being stung by box jellyfish.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Neo

Quote:
there are only about two football journalists I pay any attention to.
Tim Vickery and AC Jimbo are probably the only two I bother with.

Honigstein can be useful on the rare occasion, but is far too nauseatingly smug for his own good. G-Huntz knows his stuff, but definitely has self-portraits of himself all over his house.

Unread 12-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Ashley's Grime

"Would it be good to still have Rio here?"

"No."

Unread 12-09-2014, 06:46 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Tim Vickery and AC Jimbo are probably the only two I bother with.

Honigstein can be useful on the rare occasion, but is far too nauseatingly smug for his own good. G-Huntz knows his stuff, but definitely has self-portraits of himself all over his house.
Not sure about AC Jimbo as a journalist Top man, though.

T-Vic is top dog; outstanding journalist. Agree about Honigstein. He's good but definitely smug. I like Phillip Auclair; he's better than the French bore they have on BT. G-Huntz is a great talker; excellent on TV and radio. Wilson can be excellent or dull in almost equal measure. That's about it. No coincidence that the best journos are the ones who have actually ventured outside of British shores.
Closed Thread