United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:27 AM
ashtonred

Default Your worst ever United defeat?

There have been a few ....

The West Ham game when Andy Cole missed a sitter at Upton Park in the dying minutes which gave Dalglish/Blackburn the title.

Goes without saying - we didnīt lose that day but the clue is City won the title.

But (at a moment in time) the worst ever for me was when West Ham beat us at Hillsborough in the FA Cup semi-final in 1964. The pitch was like a mud bath and we got beat 3-1. A gang of us at the shoe factory where I worked had planned a trip to Wembley despite the prospects have not having tickets ahead of the trip. Anyway, it didn'tīt happen.

I cried like a baby all the way home on the coach - the pain of that defeat has never been repeated.

So come on then - your worst pain when United got beat?

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Sparky***

You do realise we drew 1-1 with west ham in 1995? Are you talking about specific game defeats or just bad things that happened to United?

as for Pain?

I know people will be tempted to say the city 6-1 game but for me losing the european cup final in 2009 was a right Ģ#%&!ing kick in the %@#$&!s. Anyone who thought we'd win in 2011 at wembley needs sectioning but I genuinely thought we had a decent chance in 2009. Was gutted when we got swatted aside so easily.

Then there's the 2-0 away defeat at anfield in 1992. That was probably the lowest and worst i've ever felt. Utter despair.

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:36 AM
ryanMUFC

1-0 against city a few games before they won the league on goal difference against ten men. We Ģ#%&!ed up big time that season.
Rome wasn't nice, bumped into plenty of gloating spaniards afterwards.

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:40 AM
taff

the barca finals, mainly because there's nothing like the buzz of a european final and watching it slip away realising it's not going to happen is agonising.

lot of the knockouts as well, dortmund, leverkusen, monaco etc. bayern in 2010 was a particular @#%&!.

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:42 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You do realise we drew 1-1 with west ham in 1995? Are you talking about specific game defeats or just bad things that happened to United?

as for Pain?

I know people will be tempted to say the city 6-1 game but for me losing the european cup final in 2009 was a right Ģ#%&!ing kick in the %@#$&!s. Anyone who thought we'd win in 2011 at wembley needs sectioning but I genuinely thought we had a decent chance in 2009. Was gutted when we got swatted aside so easily.

Then there's the 2-0 away defeat at anfield in 1992. That was probably the lowest and worst i've ever felt. Utter despair.
As you well know, we beat Sunderland on the day City won the title. I think you get the jist of the thread....

I was disappointed with the defeat in 2009. Wayne scored a belter to equalise in that game, but Barca where streets ahead of us that night. Painful yes .. but I didnīt shed any tears .....

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:43 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
As you well know, we beat Sunderland on the day City won the title. I think you get the jist of the thread....

I was disappointed with the defeat in 2009. Wayne scored a belter to equalise in that game, but Barca where streets ahead of us that night. Painful yes .. but I didnīt shed any tears .....
That was 2011.

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:45 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
That was 2011.
Well, doesnīt matter, you know the game I meant.. When you get to my age

Least you know I donīt Google before I post

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
Well, doesnīt matter, you know the game I meant.. When you get to my age

Least you know I donīt Google before I post
You probably should tbh.

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:50 AM
ryanMUFC

Monaco is the first time I remember getting a real sinking feeling from a defeat.

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:51 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Monaco is the first time I remember getting a real sinking feeling from a defeat.
Do any of you actually understand what the word "defeat" means?

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:52 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
You probably should tbh.
Na - Iīll stick with it.

Even the VERY BEST of people make mistakes.

Unread 12-11-2014, 01:58 AM
taff

just remembered the 0-1 to everton and the 0-2 at anfield in the 94/95 run in; both peculiarly gutting as we were utterly lacklustre and it set the tone for the rest of the season. watched the latter in a pub in cornwall full of braying scousers on holiday, mega-depressing.

also just imagined a horrible counterfactual where bayern beat us in '99. imagine the deflation

Unread 12-11-2014, 02:04 AM
ashtonred

Mineīs another FA Cup semi final. Everton beat us 1-0 at Burnden Park. I was there that day .... Killer!

Unread 12-11-2014, 02:30 AM
Stickman

Quote:

I know people will be tempted to say the city 6-1 game but for me losing the european cup final in 2009 was a right Ģ#%&!ing kick in the balls. Anyone who thought we'd win in 2011 at wembley needs sectioning but I genuinely thought we had a decent chance in 2009. Was gutted when we got swatted aside so easily.
Well we were favourites going into that match. Irony is we were all Ģ#%&!ing delighted we werent going to be having a rematch with Chelsea the night of the Iniesta goal, wed have beaten them no question in hindsight.

Worst defeat? City on the Munich anniversary, FA Cup semi in 2011 is up there, 6-1, Kompany in the title decider

Dortmund home, Everton in the 95 final, scousers in the 2003 fizzy pop final, list is endless. Even the Henry winner in January 07 was a tough pill to swallow though it didn't affect the outcome.

I actually cant pick just one.

With regard to horrible draws, West Ham 95 obviously and Boro home in the 06-07 run in, 515 game on Sat night and we let Chelsea within 3 points of us by not winning with 5 games to go and still having to visit Stamford Bridge, the mood was absolutely awful after that match, a lot of reds thoughts wed blown it. That title race was one of the most nerve wracking ever as Chelsea were such a beast. Thank god they drew at Newcastle the following day

Unread 12-11-2014, 02:50 AM
magic_cantona

The 1-0 at City was the worst as it was the most gutless and wimpy 'performance', seeing as it decided the title in essence.

We played like we didn't give a Ģ#%&!. Total @#%&!.

The defeat to Dortmund away in 95 (was it?) was hard to take as we battered them without scoring.

Arsenal in the cup final on penalties - they didn't deserve anything out of that game. Disgusting.

And the recent Verm high scoring triumph - just awful. Horrible.

Unread 12-11-2014, 02:52 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
The 1-0 at City was the worst as it was the most gutless and wimpy 'performance', seeing as it decided the title in essence.

The defeat to Dortmund away in 95 (was it?) was hard to take as we battered them without scoring.

Arsenal in the cup final on penalties - they didn't deserve anything out of that game. Disgusting.

We went there for a draw. It was unforgivable.

Unread 12-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona

oh god Arsenal 05

Unread 12-11-2014, 03:34 AM
utd99

Losing 6-0 to Ipswich 1980. Bailey saved three penalties, one a re-take.

It was proper men against boys stuff. I was just a young kid, there with my dad, and I don't think I've ever felt worse at a United game since.

City winning their title was worse, but I wasn't there.

Unread 12-11-2014, 04:22 AM
lookingforeric

Losing 5-0 in Newcastle. I can still hear Martin Tyler scream: "Philipe Albeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Stuff of nightmares

Unread 12-11-2014, 06:28 AM
believe

The first time I cried at us losing was the FA cup match against Sheff Utd when Bruce missed a penalty.

The Liverpool game in 92 was almost a formality considering the results prior to it and I didn't see the West Ham game but listened to it on the radio and again it was almost a foregone conclusion.

The Dortmund game was a sickener because I thought we'd done enough to win the tournament that year and it felt cursed on the night.

Nowadays, I could barely give a Ģ#%&!.
Closed Thread