United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Sandman

Thumbs up Anderson volunteered to play in the reserve game.

[SIZE="5"]Solskjaer backs Anderson to come good

Stuart Mathieson

September 05, 2009

OLE Gunnar Solskjaer has backed under-fire Anderson to confound his critics and become a United legend.

The Brazilian midfielder has come under increasing pressure to live up to his hefty price tag and reputation.

A reported bust-up with Sir Alex Ferguson has only added to doubts about his future - but a goal for the reserves on Thursday night was the best way to grab his manager's attention.

And reserve boss, Solskjaer, insists Anderson will reproduce the form that made him an instant fan-favourite in his first season at Old Trafford.

"Ando has shown his qualities and attitude," said Solskjaer. "Now it is a case of him taking his chance when he gets it and putting down a marker to stay in the team.

"He is going to be a big player for Manchester United."

The 21-year-old, who cost around £18m when signed from Porto in 2007, volunteered to play for the reserves against Wigan.

It was his response to calls from Ferguson for a bigger effort to win back his place.

Solkjaer belief

Though Fergie has denied a row with Anderson, the Brazilian is desperate to prove he is no one season wonder.

And Solskjaer is convinced he can do so.

"It was all glory for him in his first season, but then you sometimes get a bit of a reaction to that," he said. "It happens to a lot of players.

"But with Cristiano Ronaldo gone, we need players like Anderson to step up and say `here is what all the talk was about when you signed me.'

"It is always going to be a big challenge at United to get a place in the first team.

"No player at United is going to step aside and say `here you take my place.'

"You have to fight for it and he is more than capable of doing that as he is proving.

"He volunteered to play for the reserves. Asking to play just shows his professionalism and determination to succeed."

Meanwhile, Solskjaer takes United to Sir Matt Busby's birthplace on Sunday vowing to uphold the legacy Lanarkshire's most famous son left at Old Trafford.

United's reserve side tackle Motherwell at Fir Park for the Sir Matt Busby Shield, a match arranged to commemorate the former Reds manager's 100th birthday.

"Not long after I came to the club from Norway, I had a long chat with Sir Bobby Charlton," recalled Solskjaer. "Sir Matt had passed away by then but I always remember Sir Bobby telling me about a lesson that had been passed down from him.

"He basically used to remind his players before every game that the people coming to watch them worked hard for a living all week. When they came to the football on a Saturday they want to be entertained.

"That is a fantastic lesson for any young player to be taught."

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
rebelcountyred

saw that game and felt that he really put in a big effort, there is no doubt that he can go on to be a top player just needs to get his act together and focus on realising his potential.

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM
toseeunited

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
"Not long after I came to the club from Norway, I had a long chat with Sir Bobby Charlton," recalled Solskjaer. "Sir Matt had passed away by then but I always remember Sir Bobby telling me about a lesson that had been passed down from him.

"He basically used to remind his players before every game that the people coming to watch them worked hard for a living all week. When they came to the football on a Saturday they want to be entertained.

"That is a fantastic lesson for any young player to be taught."
our young lads are in THE best hands - I didn't think I could love this man any more than I already do, but this just sums him up imo opinion

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
our young lads are in THE best hands - I didn't think I could love this man any more than I already do, but this just sums him up imo opinion
That's what i thought as well.

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
borsuk

ole is just one-off, fantastic. nice to hear about anderson wanting to play and really putting in a shift. bodes well for the future.

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Tiberian

The interesting part about that reserve game was that with James and Hewson alongside him Anderson hat a lot of freedom to go forward and be creative.

He has very rarely been given that opportunity at Utd, mostly used in quite defensive roles. It is not fully exploiting his potential though.

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:50 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The interesting part about that reserve game was that with James and Hewson alongside him Anderson hat a lot of freedom to go forward and be creative.

He has very rarely been given that opportunity at Utd, mostly used in quite defensive roles. It is not fully exploiting his potential though.
i was asking about this in the thread the other night. i've been saying for a while i think he's been/is being misused in a defensive role. it exacerbates the problems he has with positioning and anticipation and doesn't play to his strengths (carrying the ball, upping the tempo, looking for the progressive pass).

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:51 PM
wiganste

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i was asking about this in the thread the other night. i've been saying for a while i think he's been/is being misused in a defensive role. it exacerbates the problems he has with positioning and anticipation and doesn't play to his strengths (carrying the ball, upping the tempo, looking for the progressive pass).
You have to remember reserve team football is a million miles away from the Prem/Europe

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
You have to remember reserve team football is a million miles away from the Prem/Europe
true, but the defensive role he's often been given in the first team requires a lot of discipline. i think it's a harder role for a young player than a more attacking position would be.

Unread 05-09-2009, 04:59 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
This is true, one of the best games Anderson had for United was against Arsenal in the Cup a couple of years ago, when he played in front of two midfielders, as an attacker/playmaker. Think he played that role reasonably well away to Lyon too. Other then that, I only remember him playing in deeper roles...and occasionally on the left wing

Anyway, this story demonstrates a good attitude, which i like. Ole is just a £#%&!ing Legend

Unread 05-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
All true although I think Fergie values his pace and strength on the ball in defensive areas, something that with Hargreaves missing was lacking from our midfield group.

A midfield 3 of Carrick sitting with Anderson and Hargreaves given more box to box roles looked to have fantastic potential about 3 years ago, because of injury it has rarely been seen. Fletcher replacing Hargreaves allowed us to see some of that potential at the back end of last season, especially in the Arsenal ties, but at that stage Anderson seemed to have a confused understanding of his responsibilities.

I said on a few occasions last year that Anderson should be studying how Giggs plays in central midfield, that change of pace that you mention, ability to surge past players is such a dangerous and valuable skill.

Quote:
Of course, but it was encouraging to see, getting a run of games in the first team is his first goal, a goal would not go amiss either for confidence levels.

Unread 05-09-2009, 05:09 PM
wonky no

good

Unread 05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
wonky no

who loses their res team place though?

Unread 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM
believe

lot of good points on here prove that it's got to be a two way thing with players like anderson. it's ok expecting anderson to do what he did at porto but playing him as a defensive midfileder and asking him to learn a new role will take time. look how long it took andy cole to become one of the most complete centre forwards in the game.

Unread 05-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Albert Tatlock

I think this also indicates why Ole should be Fergie's number two.

Respect to Rene and Mike, but Ole is the man we need by Fergie's side.

Unread 05-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Aloe Blacc

Nice to read.

Unread 05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Coracao

Sorry, but a performance like that is to be expected.

He is a multi-million pound signing.

Unread 05-09-2009, 06:53 PM
jem

Quote:
not fully exploiting his potential? it would more accurate to say he is a £#%&!ing liability as a defensive midfielder. what was fergie thinking? he's the new scholes, not the new keane. assuming scholes were a headless chicken, that is.

I would tend to agree with coracao that an £18mio midfielder had better look pretty £#%&!ing good in the reserves.

Unread 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
not fully exploiting his potential? it would more accurate to say he is a £#%&!ing liability as a defensive midfielder. what was fergie thinking? he's the new scholes, not the new keane. assuming scholes were a headless chicken, that is.

I would tend to agree with coracao that an £18mio midfielder had better look pretty £#%&!ing good in the reserves.
you've totally missed the point, yes he should look good in the reserves but could also have had a couldn't be arsed attitude too, he is showing a willingness to get his act together, he could just stay in the reserves and £#%&! off in the window at xmas but he seems to have decided that he wants to stay at united, fair £#%&!s to him.

Unread 05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
you've totally missed the point, yes he should look good in the reserves but could also have had a couldn't be arsed attitude too, he is showing a willingness to get his act together, he could just stay in the reserves and £#%&! off in the window at xmas but he seems to have decided that he wants to stay at united, fair £#%&!s to him.
as one might expect.

I'm not complaining; I'm a big fan. of ando's. not of fergie.
Closed Thread