View Poll Results: Qatari Ownership?
Yay 51 42.86%
Nay 68 57.14%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 15-02-2023, 11:14 AM
TreeFiddy

Default Qatari Ownership - The Poll

Definitely time to set your stall out. No room for nuance I’m afraid.

For the avoidance of doubt:
In = I love sports washing and am a massive hypocrite.
Out = This is the end for me and the club. But realistically I’ll never give it up completely so will also be a massive hypocrite.

Unread 15-02-2023, 11:31 AM
53RedRum

In. If Qatar remove the debt renovate the stadium and leave the team to financially look after itself then what's the problem? The only hypocrites are the ones who still think the middle East is some backwards shithole. The way of life is superior to the west in many ways.

Unread 15-02-2023, 11:31 AM
waynes ear's

Literally couldnt give a £#%&! who owns the club. Its been out of our hands for years.

Unread 15-02-2023, 11:37 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53RedRum
In. If Qatar remove the debt renovate the stadium and leave the team to financially look after itself then what's the problem? The only hypocrites are the ones who still think the middle East is some backwards shithole. The way of life is superior to the west in many ways.
I don’t even remember posting this.

Unread 15-02-2023, 11:40 AM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Literally couldnt give a **** who owns the club. Its been out of our hands for years.
Anybody who invests in the club is better than the Glazers. Hopefully they'll be relatively hands-off and put football people in charge of the day-to-day running.

If we do get bought out by them I'm certainly not going to be on Twitter virtue-signalling at every opportunity, and talking about fan ownership which is never going to happen in this country.

Unread 15-02-2023, 11:53 AM
BarryX

Yay,
Nay,
Meh.

Unread 15-02-2023, 11:59 AM
atticusgrinch

Where's the option for fan ownership or a benevolent time-served red who happens to have a few billion down the back of the sofa?

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:01 PM
Jethro

The sooner Football leaves the mawkish sentimentality behind the sooner we can all move along. The game that we grew up with is done and we either move with the times or get left behind with our tip top values.

I am hardly doing backflips over the idea of Arab money, but lets face it, the Western world seems to have its fingers planted firmly down the old ear canal when it comes to the new super powers in the world.

I like the idea of Jim Ratcliffe but how is he the answer over anyone else? Genuine question.

The idea of us being a City or PSG doesn't even come into the conversation. We're a ready made package ready to go. Like a really tasty frozen meal. Inject the cash, clear the debt and that is literally all that's needed.

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:06 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
The sooner Football leaves the mawkish sentimentality behind the sooner we can all move along. The game that we grew up with is done and we either move with the times or get left behind with our tip top values.

I am hardly doing backflips over the idea of Arab money, but lets face it, the Western world seems to have its fingers planted firmly down the old ear canal when it comes to the new super powers in the world.

I like the idea of Jim Ratcliffe but how is he the answer over anyone else? Genuine question.

The idea of us being a City or PSG doesn't even come into the conversation. We're a ready made package ready to go. Like a really tasty frozen meal. Inject the cash, clear the debt and that is literally all that's needed.
Good post. Either we accept football has changed and move with it, or we stop supporting United/give up on football. I don’t see a third way.

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Literally couldnt give a £#%&! who owns the club. Its been out of our hands for years.
Quote:

Exactly.

Let's be honest, in this day and age fans have £#%&! all to do with the ownership and/or running of a club like United. Lip service is occasionally paid but that's about it. MUST is a farce.

The glazers were the worst possible owners, with all the negatives laid out, but only a relative handful of fans ever protested in any meaningful way. And it basically did £#%&! all, except get a game delayed.

The club as an organisation don't really give a £#%&! about fans because they know there will always be bums on seats with a club like United. Look at the league cup final; sold out instantly despite a good chunk of the tickets being £72+.

The only way anything could happen is if the PL adopted zi German fan owned model. Which will never, ever happen because there's too much money at stake. Imagine how many hands have been greased by all this foreign ownership.

So basically, who £#%&!ing cares. Go the games and enjoy the football while you can before the unholy edifice comes crashing down and we're all forced to watch the WSL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53RedRum
wrong login

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:12 PM
magic_cantona

Yay I've put, shame there's no caveat allowed because there's plenty.

Yay - if it means we're not owned by parasites, poor people who can't invest while our rivals are all forgetting their morals and are being funded by multi billionaires.

It's not a simple yes or no.

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Vedder

If it’s not us it’ll be the Scousers.

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:16 PM
53RedRum

Quote:

I love the trope that we'll be just like city or psg now, no we £#%&!ing well won't

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:20 PM
Sandman

Quote:
This, the game as a whole is a joke.

The governing bodies allowed United to £#%&!ed for nearly 20 years with parasites slowly bleeding us, & the @#%&!s will be allowed to walk away with billions. The only real solution would be outlawing both debt, & state backed ownership, but that's not going to happen with the political culture we have. So we may as well just let these @#%&!s own us.

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:32 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Yay I've put, shame there's no caveat allowed because there's plenty.

It's not a simple yes or no.

Unread 15-02-2023, 12:43 PM
Travis Bickle

I voted Yay, although I used to be totally against the idea. My reasoning - Shitloads of money. I'm shallow.

Unread 15-02-2023, 01:52 PM
Parlabane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Think this is where I’m at - in an ideal world it would have been big Jim buying us but the glazers will want the biggest cheque possible.

Thankfully they don’t have any morals about taking state funds.

Can you imagine them saying - we’ve decided we can’t accept the offer from Qatar for ethical reasons and all the other bids were below our asking o price So we are staying as owners …….. meanwhile the Qataris buy and invest into a club down the East Lancs

Unread 15-02-2023, 02:10 PM
tatty

I have sympathy for the no camp but the reality of football has left little room for sentimentality…unless we want to be challenging for the also-rans league.

And make no mistake, if the Qatari’s don’t buy us it will be another team (Liverpool?) and that really would make anyone question their enthusiasm for the game.

Let’s crack on and enjoy the ride.

Unread 15-02-2023, 02:18 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Then it’s a Yes from me Jeff

I’m disgusted and ashamed with myself but like £#%&! do I want to see them doing a City/PSG/eventually Newcastle… Im weak and just couldn’t stomach it, sorry.

Unread 15-02-2023, 02:25 PM
suedeshoes

If it ends up with effectively the same extended family owning half a dozen clubs who share everything between them then what's the point?

There will deffo be a European Super League before the decades out.
Closed Thread