United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-12-2020, 08:02 PM
rubbernecker

Whatever the outcome - looking forward to games and not having hysterical bedwetters pissing everywhere is double plus good

Unread 30-12-2020, 08:09 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I went into this season hoping for a fight for top 4. Winning wasn't a possibility. Now you can, at least, imagine it happening even if that's being optimistic.
Think there’s loads of reasons but to my mind, we’ve finally put together a coherent recruitment and jettison strategy, some of our signings have made an immediate impact (which is a rarity for us), we’ve re-found the United style/dna which feels most natural, we’ve significantly improved leadership throughout the team, other teams have become more respectful towards us (not to the level where teams gave up before we’d played them), city have lost aguero and Liverpool won’t ever be able to replicate an exceptional season in which everything went right for them.

Thought at the end of last season that we’d be in there this year but then our start was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Whatever the outcome - looking forward to games and not having hysterical bedwetters pissing everywhere is double plus good
This. Match threads have never been for the faint hearted but the urine tsunami of recent years had become too much. Was Genuinely dismayed by fans on here wanting him sacked.

Unread 30-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Chavez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Think there’s loads of reasons but to my mind, we’ve finally put together a coherent recruitment and jettison strategy, some of our signings have made an immediate impact (which is a rarity for us), we’ve re-found the United style/dna which feels most natural, we’ve significantly improved leadership throughout the team, other teams have become more respectful towards us (not to the level where teams gave up before we’d played them), city have lost aguero and Liverpool won’t ever be able to replicate an exceptional season in which everything went right for them.

Thought at the end of last season that we’d be in there this year but then our start was awful.

This. Match threads have never been for the faint hearted but the urine tsunami of recent years had become too much. Was Genuinely dismayed by fans on here wanting him sacked.
Agree with most of that; but "leadership" throughout the team is still an issue for me. Probably old fashioned now, but I would like to see a lot more individual reaction and falling out during games. Definitely more personal responsibility being taken as a minimum. I really only see that from Bruno. The Scottish Player has a bit of that when he plays. A misplaced pass used to matter if you look at our winning teams gone by; let alone some of the daft mistakes we still see from our back 4 and keeper. I know this is not necessarily confined to ourselves as there seems to be a general lack of leaders in the game now and of course a lot of these mardy c***s would probably melt under a Keane %@#$&!ing anyway.

Unread 30-12-2020, 09:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
and it felt so good after the horrific events of the previous year. like justice had been served and order had been restored. iirc mancini got sacked the same night as our parade, and just a couple of days after they lost to wigan in the final, leaving them trophyless.

if only we knew that things were about to get even worse, for years to come.
We had a fair idea what was coming when we knew who Freggle's successor would be

Unread 30-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Reg Holdsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
You could be right. I just felt that continuity was better at the time. Fergie had clearly managed through no value in the market to build up a war chest that he probably knew the new manager would need. He knew how good the coaching staff were.

I presume you think that the ownership is the key problem in the continuity theory (compared to the vermin's ability to do it in their halcyon days) regardless of whoever came in?
I don’t think Fergie built up a war chest at all. If he had money available he’s have spent it make no mistake.

The change in strategy of spending in my opinion occurred due to Malcolm Glazer dying in May 2014. Suddenly after that we were spending 60, 70, 80 million on players; shit ones may I add, but spending it all the same.

I appreciate this has de-railed the discussion somewhat.

Unread 30-12-2020, 09:16 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez
Agree with most of that; but "leadership" throughout the team is still an issue for me. Probably old fashioned now, but I would like to see a lot more individual reaction and falling out during games. Definitely more personal responsibility being taken as a minimum. I really only see that from Bruno. The Scottish Player has a bit of that when he plays. A misplaced pass used to matter if you look at our winning teams gone by; let alone some of the daft mistakes we still see from our back 4 and keeper. I know this is not necessarily confined to ourselves as there seems to be a general lack of leaders in the game now and of course a lot of these mardy c***s would probably melt under a Keane %@#$&!ing anyway.
Agree we are way beyond the Keane mentality era with players now - all are absolute fannies compared with him. my point is more the not giving up, not being defeated, not being over awed etc.

Basically we’re moving away from the lingard years.

Unread 30-12-2020, 09:30 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
We had a fair idea what was coming when we knew who Freggle's successor would be
i predicted we'd finish 3rd the following season. never thought things would be as shit as they were.

Unread 30-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
i predicted we'd finish 3rd the following season. never thought things would be as shit as they were.
Tbf he inherited a title winning squad.

Rooney ,RVP, rio, Giggs, EvrA,vidic, rafael, chicharito , carrick.

There was a core, we probably required a CM and a CB and LB at the time . We ended with fellaini . Right from the first window we were doomed. Even the bit part players like evans, kagawa, Anderson and Nani were good enough to get top 4 if we had a couple of the right signings.

Sign Thiago that summer instead of pissing about and a CB and we were have got top 4 with any of the managers we have had post moyes

Unread 30-12-2020, 09:42 PM
barca99

Whatever the outcome to be even talking about it at this stage is great.

The longer it lasts the better of course but still along way to go, 2 or 3 defeats and it would all be over imo.

It maybe a season or 2 too early but the players must feel it and it should spur them on. A decent result on Friday and at Anfield and they should start to believe.

Unread 30-12-2020, 09:54 PM
puressence

Match threads have become bare able and and about 40 pages less cos one person doesn’t post on em anymore 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Unread 30-12-2020, 10:45 PM
browser

If Newcastle could nick a winner here....

Unread 30-12-2020, 10:46 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Or simply if Liverpool could not...

Unread 30-12-2020, 10:46 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Liverpool all over them! A draw would do!

Unread 30-12-2020, 10:52 PM
Vedder

Sapien

andyroo

united_1878

giddy

Unread 30-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Vida_15

newcastle hold on for the draw....3pts back with 1 game in hand