Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 07-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Terry McCann

Default Re: Official statement on G & G from FC United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
prove i didn't, lionel hutz.

i can give it a go, although i'm not sure i even know

as i said, i thought the whole idea of fc was that it was going to be a short-term vehicle for those united fans who opposed glazer, but still wanted to meet up with their mates on a saturday, have a pint and a sing song and watch a game of football. a place that we could visibly show our opposition to the glazer ownership, whilst still retaining our support for united. my understanding (and i accept that i got it wrong from the outset) is that once the glazers had gone, fc would be disbanded and we would all go back to OT and support united. once it became clear to me that fc would become a long-term project, i wasn't interested.

i'm sure that's as clear as mud, but it's about as articulate as you're gonna get from me at 2pm on a friday afternoon.
And you knew this after one game?
I'll be back in touch with you after the opening game of the world cup in that case. I've got a bundle set aside for the re-emergence of Nostradamus.

Unread 07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McCann
And you knew this after one game?
I'll be back in touch with you after the opening game of the world cup in that case. I've got a bundle set aside for the re-emergence of Nostradamus.

what are you on about, or are you just shit-stirring for the sake of it?

i said in my posts that i got the wrong end of the stick from the start with regards from fc and as soon as i realised they were not going to be just a protest vehicle, but a completely separate football club with their own infrastructure and plans for the future, i wasn't interested. i didn't say i knew this after one game, i said i went to the first game to show my support. as far as i can remember, though, it was apparent from pretty early on in the inaugural season (maybe even pre-season) that it wasn't what i thought it was, so i didn't go again as it wasn't for me.

i'm not sure how you can have a pop at me for that?

Unread 07-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
You asked if you should go through my post history, I replied 'if you're sad enough'. Clearly you are at least sad enough to go through the ones from this thread. I'm not sure why you would even go that far tbh, but knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.

No you haven't.

I haven't given it off, and you're a liar for saying so. I could link you to multiple posts showing my support for this campaign right from the start and even expressly stating that the 'told you so' is wrong and unproductive, but I can't be remotely arsed, because a sad, bitter old @#%&! like you is not worth one more second of my time.

Congratulations. Let us know if you've any more amazing revelations.
pathetic

oh, and yes I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
I'm not getting involved in the moral argument, but they were right all along, weren't they?
that's not the best attempt at not getting involved tbh

Unread 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
I'm with Duckers on this one.

Will the fans come back once Glazer is gone? I can't see it.

Glazer was final straw for many sick of corporate and sanitised matchdays

Even if Glazer goes , his raised admission prices are not going anywhere

Sadly it's now more a cash cow less a football club irrespective of which billionaire philanthropist fancies a new plaything/going concern when or if the gimps cash in their chips

The only real decision to be made is whether you choose to bankroll the souless,the parasites and the greedy

Unread 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker

Sadly it's now more a cash cow less a football club irrespective of which billionaire philanthropist fancies a new plaything/going concern when or if the gimps cash in their chips

The only real decision to be made is whether you choose to bankroll the souless,the parasites and the greedy
i don't think you will find too many people disagreeing with you on that. but is that not more of am assessment on the general state of premiership football, rather than the unique situation at united?

Unread 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
that's not the best attempt at not getting involved tbh

Quote:
i don't think you will find too many people disagreeing with you on that. but is that not more of am assessment on the general state of premiership football, rather than the unique situation at united?
Completely agree. Just watch the shit thats on today. Sterile shite.

Unread 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

corporate football immitates corporate life immitates corporate football

repeat til brainwashed

Unread 07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

repeat til brainwashed
There's obviously a compromise to be had though between following your team, and the amount of shit you will put up with to do that.

At the end of the day people go to OT for 2 reasons:

A) to support the team
B) because it's enjoyable - meeting up with your mates, the banter etc. If the team is doing well all the better

But there is quite clearly a financial limit for a lot of people. Yesterday, at times, was superb - the scarves going - and i'll say again and again the protests have definitely served to ramp up the atmosphere if nothing else at OT.

But the Glazers are taking the piss too much and at the same time running the club into the ground

hence the protests.

Unread 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
There's obviously a compromise to be had though between following your team, and the amount of shit you will put up with to do that.

At the end of the day people go to OT for 2 reasons:

A) to support the team
B) because it's enjoyable - meeting up with your mates, the banter etc. If the team is doing well all the better

But there is quite clearly a financial limit for a lot of people. Yesterday, at times, was superb - the scarves going - and i'll say again and again the protests have definitely served to ramp up the atmosphere if nothing else at OT.

But the Glazers are taking the piss too much and at the same time running the club into the ground

hence the protests.
tbf you could've read my post from the pov that it's the constant 'football business' angle of the past two decades presented by the media, especially the array of books on the subject, and the regular drooling over football finances in tv news slots and the 'papers, that has brainwashed supporters into believing it to be inevitable that they should have to accept the cost of following their chosen art, in real life and via the television, just as they have denied - or tacitly accepted, at least - their slavery to the system in their working, family and social lives.

Unread 07-02-2010, 05:57 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
I don't particularly feel utd are in a that unique a position.The premiership is littered with chancers trying to nick a few quid.The only difference is methodology and scale.

The only options are for much stricter regulation ,which under the neo liberal freemarket policies of New Labour or Caring Conservatives will never happen or by denying those chancers what they want............cash

Feed the beast or starve the beast......it's as simple as that

Unread 07-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
I don't particularly feel utd are in a that unique a position.The premiership is littered with chancers trying to nick a few quid.The only difference is methodology and scale.

The only options are for much stricter regulation ,which under the neo liberal freemarket policies of New Labour or Caring Conservatives will never happen or by denying those chancers what they want............cash

disagree that united isn't a unique case (i can't think of another club in the premiership saddled with as much debt as we are) but completely agree with the rest of the post.

one thing i would say in labour's defence was that it was stephen byers at the mmc who listened to our protests re murdoch's attempted takeover and put a stop to it. can you imagine that happening now though? i can't. the need for more stringent regulation has never been as great, but neither has the amount of money coming into the game, and we all know where the government's priority lies there...

it's like the housing market, the bubble will burst eventually. and when it does all the parasites will have pissed off and it will be the fans who are left to deal with the fallout.

Unread 07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Zorg

Quote:
oh, and yes I have.
Oh, this?

Quote:

Wow, that's.....that's amazing. I'm truly amazed.

Unread 08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
My Name is Keith

"Whilst Rome burnt, United fans continued to argue with each other about who saw the flames first, how devastating the fire was likely to be and what would be left afterwards. One United fan even became obsessed with how the fire was being reported in the press.

Meanwhile, the blaze continued uninterrupted."

Unread 08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
red @rmy

Quote:

So we just give up then?

FCUM fans said they wouldn't go back whilst Glazer is the owner, so once he goes you'd expect them to come back would you not?

Unread 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
El Chalten

here we go again.

wondered how long it would take.

not.

nft.

Unread 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
So we just give up then?

FCUM fans said they wouldn't go back whilst Glazer is the owner, so once he goes you'd expect them to come back would you not?
Many people not just FC fans refused to give Glazer any money,a decision based on principle or an inabillity to pay.Many pissed off for other solid reasons.There is no block vote on the issue of returning to OT if the gimps up sticks.Some would ,some wouldn't.

It's not a question of giving up but fighting effectively.The only way to do this is by denying them money.End of.

Give up your season ticket or give up the football club

Unread 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
LaPaz

Quote:

I would think that will depend on who the new owner is

Unread 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Zorg

Quote:
So we just give up then?

As rubbernecker says, some would, some wouldn't. Neither the FCUM nor MUFC fanbases contain one uniform identical opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't, but it would all depend on a) who the owner was and b) how much tickets cost. I certainly wouldn't stop going to FC, but I can envisage - and call me a mentalist but I like picturing it - a fan-owned MUFC and FCUM with links between each other and a friendly relationship.

Unread 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
irk

Quote:

surely you'd need a new league for that rather than just a new club? FC competes in the existing league structure and is aiming to progress through it mich the same as any other club in the pyramid. the fact it is fan owned won't alter the corporate nature of football, in fact it is a much more likely outcome that it will have to become more corportae if it is to thrive in the "market".

i was of the same opinion as jack when FC was first set up. i thought it was a vehicle to further the protest rather than an end in itself, which has really only served to divide the protesters. the glazers must have been delighted that the most militant voices marginalised themselves and concentrated on doing their own thing - divide and conquer.

Unread 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
"Whilst Rome burnt, United fans continued to argue with each other about who saw the flames first, how devastating the fire was likely to be and what would be left afterwards. One United fan even became obsessed with how the fire was being reported in the press.

Meanwhile, the blaze continued uninterrupted."
I think you'll find it's slightly more than one tbh