United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:10 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Get the same feeling of content from a United goal and win as I did under Ferguson but I don’t believe he’s the right person for a second. It’s a bit fickle and embarrassing bumping the thread after every win or defeat depending on your stance.

I think we have the 3rd or 4th best squad in the league. If we’re not top 4 at the end of the season, he’s failing. It was criminal how we let ourselves slip out of the top 4 last season.. It’s hard to stomach idiots that think he should be in charge if we fail again.
He’s doing exactly what we all knew he needed to. Sorry that the transfer market has windows. Tantrum reds need to calm down a bit; let the man do the work.

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
He’s doing exactly what we all knew he needed to. Sorry that the transfer market has windows. Tantrum reds need to calm down a bit; let the man do the work.
It's not Ole's fault but let's not pretend that his three transfer windows have been a searing success. I back him and I agree with what I suspect he has in mind for the squad, but at the rate the club move with both transfers in and out it's no given he will get to do it all. The question is can he improve performances and results while he waits for that useless #@&%! Woodward to get his act together.

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
It's not Ole's fault but let's not pretend that his three transfer windows have been a searing success. I back him and I agree with what I suspect he has in mind for the squad, but at the rate the club move with both transfers in and out it's no given he will get to do it all. The question is can he improve performances and results while he waits for that useless #@&%! Woodward to get his act together.
Two windows. He was clearly left with what he had last January.

Who has been a failure? It's far too early to make a final judgement on anyone.

AWB, James and maguire have all had their moments so far and what the early signs are good with Bruno.

Ighalo is an emergency stop gap and games and performances like Thursday are exactly what he was brought for.

It's also what he's managed to get rid of.

Despite his reputation as a yes man, he's been far more ruthless than most before him, ditching anyone who doesn't really fit with what he wants to do.

And more and more are getting marginalised (lingard, perreria) the more time he's had.

There will be plenty more dips this season, I'm sure and I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting we've turned any corners, but when you're in the middle of something like this, it's important to acknowledge positive signs when they're there.

It seems people like to say they're prepared to give managers time, but aren't really prepared for what that entails. Six months , a year in, its always absolutes: its worse than moyes, we're going backwards etc. Just give it a minute! I haven't a clue if he's the right fit, long-term, but he's here and we should at least wait til his first full season is over before we make any decisions.

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Two windows. He was clearly left with what he had last January.

Who has been a failure? It's far too early to make a final judgement on anyone.

AWB, James and maguire have all had their moments so far and what the early signs are good with Bruno.

Ighalo is an emergency stop gap and games and performances like Thursday are exactly what he was brought for.

It's also what he's managed to get rid of.

Despite his reputation as a yes man, he's been far more ruthless than most before him, ditching anyone who doesn't really fit with what he wants to do.
He sold Fellaini in his first window

I didn't refer to anyone being a failure, but we clearly needed more players in and more players out. We need to recoup more money for players as we don't have CL money and it would help improve results, squad morale and in getting the best out of new players if we were able to have players bought and sold with more than a week of the window to go.

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
There’s risk to any transfer, it can’t be any other way. The size of the task he took on in terms of not only creating for the future but in erasing the mistakes of his predecessors, simultaneously, cannot be overestimated.

The fact that some were prepared to write him of after 3 or 4 months of his first full season is an utter disgrace.

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
He sold Fellaini in his first window

I didn't refer to anyone being a failure, but we clearly needed more players in and more players out. We need to recoup more money for players as we don't have CL money and it would help improve results, squad morale and in getting the best out of new players if we were able to have players bought and sold with more than a week of the window to go.
You said we're pretending his three windows have been a success.

When you factor in the restrictions of the owners, I'd say they have.

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:37 PM
utd99

Quote:

At some point we’re going to have address the narrative that we don’t spend with the actual fact that we spend loads.

Unread 29-02-2020, 04:38 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
There’s risk to any transfer, it can’t be any other way. The size of the task he took on in terms of not only creating for the future but in erasing the mistakes of his predecessors, simultaneously, cannot be overestimated.

The fact that some were prepared to write him of after 3 or 4 months of his first full season is an utter disgrace.
Especially when you consider what he is trying to do and how he's doing it.

I can understand not being behind the idea of Jose, because it's hardly inkeeping with anything to do with the club, but here is a guy who loves the club, who 'gets it (etc)', wants to bring young players in, wants rid of the functional players and has repeatedly talked about changing the culture - something we've been lamenting for years (the players being lazy, not giving a shit etc)

He's risked the the immediate (selling lukaku and risking Rashford, Martial & Greenwood) for bigger picture.

It's basically a good £#%&!ing idea.

Can he pull it off? I have serious doubts, but it's an idea I would expect United fans to get behind. What he's trying to do and who he is should afford him a little more good will than most. Apparently not.

Quote:
At some point we’re going to have address the narrative that we don’t spend with the actual fact that we spend loads.
We spend, but it's not just that. There's often a caveat. There's players that need shipping out first, there's how long we let things drag out, there's woodward seemingly pissing off clubs with his negotiations.

We make a lot of deals look like hard work.

We have spent no more than I would expect any manager of this club to get with a clean slate. And he's shipped a lot out and off the wage bill too.

Unread 29-02-2020, 05:43 PM
puressence

People saying last January 2019 was part
Of the windows he’s had ? Jesus Christ

Unread 29-02-2020, 06:16 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
I don’t think the reason we’ve been getting beaten by teams like Burnley and Bournemouth is because transfer window exist mate.

“He’s getting rid of all the shit”. Gives Jones and Lingard new contracts.

“He gives the kids a chance”. Like every other manager. I haven’t seen a United manager in my lifetime that hasn’t given youth a chance.

If you brainwash yourself into believing something then you’ll find an excuse to justify it.

Unread 29-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

I directly referenced the board restrictions in my analysis of whether it was a success. Obviously if you discount all bad stuff then they were *three* good windows.

Unread 29-02-2020, 06:26 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
I don’t think the reason we’ve been getting beaten by teams like Burnley and Bournemouth is because transfer window exist mate.

“He’s getting rid of all the shit”. Gives Jones and Lingard new contracts.

“He gives the kids a chance”. Like every other manager. I haven’t seen a United manager in my lifetime that hasn’t given youth a chance.

If you brainwash yourself into believing something then you’ll find an excuse to justify it.

Unread 29-02-2020, 06:41 PM
ScarFace

He tried to get Youngy to stay ffs.
He has said he wants Sanchez back.

No need to even mention recruitments...he's played some shite football and unless he wins 8 more league games, he has beaten moyes record of our worse ever prem points tally.

Id get the "give him time" stuff if he was a top manager...he's not. He was the cheapest easiest temporary option. Basically Ighalo as manager.

A season & a half is enough.

Unread 29-02-2020, 07:08 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace

No need to even mention recruitments...he's played some shite football and unless he wins 8 more league games, he has beaten moyes record of our worse ever prem points tally.

Id get the "give him time" stuff if he was a top manager...he's not. He was the cheapest easiest temporary option. Basically Ighalo as manager.

truth bombs

Unread 29-02-2020, 07:32 PM
puressence

Quote:

He didn’t buy young or Sanchez

Unread 29-02-2020, 07:40 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
He didn’t buy young or Sanchez
And he didnt want young to go and wants sanchez to return.

Id rather play with 10 men than sanchez.

My point was, he is a deadwood killing machine, accept not really.

Also, the mass injury issues.....thats his over playing/training. Started when his flukey run last year died and he's clearly not changed much.

CoronaVirus too was not around until he came on the scene.....look into it.

Love Ole as a player, not as a manager. If he had played for Burnley, you'd be bed sheeting him.

Unread 29-02-2020, 08:50 PM
red in cumbria

He SAYS that he wants Sanchez to return, that's not necessarily the same thing is it

Unread 29-02-2020, 08:52 PM
armchair

Quote:

Also, the mass injury issues.....thats his over playing/training. Started when his flukey run last year died and he's clearly not changed much.

Love Ole as a player, not as a manager. If he had played for Burnley, you'd be bed sheeting him.
You are tranz for ole i.e. acting like a bitch.

Unread 29-02-2020, 09:01 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

CSE grade 3 wumming.
City and guilds wumming
HND wumming.

Unread 29-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Pepe le Pew

Thursday was the first time Ole has been able to put out a team that was half his (outfield only). It was one of the best performances in ages.

Of the players that weren't Ole signings, Fred, Shaw, The Scottish Player and Bailly are playing better than they ever have. Even Mata was mint.

What are people actually looking for if it isn't this?
Closed Thread