United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM
antonin jablonsky

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Villa v United thread. (Teams, links + doom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
first time i've seen it and although he jumped in, he clearly got the ball. harsh, imo.

p.s. can somebody not buy trevor francis some olbas oil, the nasally-voiced £#%&!wit?
Agreed, he shouldn't leave his feet like that but in the end he got the ball and only very slightly caught the Villa player with his trailing leg.

Unread 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
first time i've seen it and although he jumped in, he clearly got the ball. harsh, imo.

p.s. can somebody not buy trevor francis some olbas oil, the nasally-voiced £#%&!wit?
I'd like to buy him a bullet and deliver it to him from the end of a handgun.

Unread 11-02-2010, 02:04 PM
MJ Ramone

It was a red card....although I agreed with the MOTD panel last night when they said it wouldn't have been a few years back because he clearly won the ball.
It's funny though because Ashley Young wrecked Valencia in stoppage time & didn't get a Yellow ...& neither did Cuellar for his rugby tackle to stop us breaking out

Ref's are having a field day with us this season

Unread 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

jump tackle, red card. harsh maybe in that particular instance, but slightly misjudged by Nani and it could easily be a compound fracture. that's why United are trying to get those challenges outlawed and that's why they took the line they did on Nani's challenge I'd say. similar to when Ferguson was drawing attention to the increasing use of the elbow a few years back, the experts on the tv couches railed against him. looking at that MotD analysis, it made me laugh to hear Hansen's version of the Evans holding on Carew, saying that Evans had hauled him down. er, yeah, okay Alan.

good point about them ignoring the foul on Valencia. also ignored Rooney's jump tackle as well, probably the worst one of the match. in fact that's even more curious since they included it in their £#%&!ing analysis edit ffs.

Unread 11-02-2010, 02:32 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
jump tackle, red card. harsh maybe in that particular instance, but slightly misjudged by Nani and it could easily be a compound fracture. that's why United are trying to get those challenges outlawed and that's why they took the line they did on Nani's challenge I'd say. similar to when Ferguson was drawing attention to the increasing use of the elbow a few years back, the experts on the tv couches railed against him. looking at that MotD analysis, it made me laugh to hear Hansen's version of the Evans holding on Carew, saying that Evans had hauled him down. er, yeah, okay Alan.

good point about them ignoring the foul on Valencia. also ignored Rooney's jump tackle as well, probably the worst one of the match. in fact that's even more curious since they included it in their £#%&!ing analysis edit ffs.
Wasn't a jump tackle he went from up to down.

Unread 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
zzalsar3

There appear to be two types of people as far as this issue goes. There are those who have listened and understood the new ruling on such two footed challenges where the tackler loses control by having his whole body leave the ground and throwing themselves into tackles. And then there are those who choose to pretend there is no new ruling about it. When I say new, we are talking 3-4 years at least.

To be fair the media probably doesnt help us much give that many well-paid pundits dont appear to be aware of the new rulings either. Banging on that it was OK in previous decades doesn't really add much illumination to justify their fee.

Fergie knows the rules because he is bright enough to listen when referees take the trouble to meet with managers and players and have explained this for the past few years.

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzalsar3
There appear to be two types of people as far as this issue goes. There are those who have listened and understood the new ruling on such two footed challenges where the tackler loses control by having his whole body leave the ground and throwing themselves into tackles. And then there are those who choose to pretend there is no new ruling about it. When I say new, we are talking 3-4 years at least.

To be fair the media probably doesnt help us much give that many well-paid pundits dont appear to be aware of the new rulings either. Banging on that it was OK in previous decades doesn't really add much illumination to justify their fee.

Fergie knows the rules because he is bright enough to listen when referees take the trouble to meet with managers and players and have explained this for the past few years.
thanks for that, jeff winter.

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
thanks for that, jeff winter.

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

By the way, not sure calling it a two footed challenge is accurate.

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
dunk

Quote:

In that case, just about every block made by a defender is a red card.

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up Re: OFFICIAL: Villa v United thread. (Teams, links + doom)

Quote:

it's a better effort than 'human missile', i'll give you that

Unread 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM
MJ Ramone

The interesting thing about this 'two-footed missile tackle' is, it didn't upset anyone (including the Ref) when Palacios tried to snap Ronaldo in half at OT last season (although to be fair. We had a soft Pen given in that game which counted for 5 goals Corrupt @#%&!s that we are)

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
The interesting thing about this 'two-footed missile tackle' is, it didn't upset anyone (including the Ref) when Palacios tried to snap Ronaldo in half at OT last season
You might be onto something. It genuinely doesnt appear to bother the vast majority of United fans at OT when our players are assaulted. Even if it happens right by a touchline where you might think people would have a close up view and go apoplectic you can hardly detect a facial twitch in too many fans.

Refs *are* influenced when 25000 fans go ape simultaneously and they act to calm things down. Refs are not much influenced when a whole stand sits still as if nothing happened. People mentioned that the Villa fans reacted last night. Fair £#%&!s to them in a way. They were quiet as mice at times but they could be said to have backed their player when it counted.

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack duckworth

p.s. Can somebody not buy trevor francis some olbas oil, the nasally-voiced £#%&!wit?

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yep, as TT says any kind of jump tackle of that kind risks a red card. Whether or not it was malicious or won the ball doesn't change the fact that it's a dangerous challenge in which the player commits himself and puts the opponent at risk. It's perfectly reasonable, imo, to have a low tolerance of this kind of approach.

Some awful officiating after that, though. I strongly dislike the tactical foul and think it should always result in a yellow card, so have no problem with Evans' booking in the first half, however soft it may have seemed. However, when Cuellar dragged Valencia to the ground to prevent a counter attack and no card was produced, that's just unacceptable. Walton is one of a fairly long list of utter shite refs in the Premiership.

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:49 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Some awful officiating after that, though. I strongly dislike the tactical foul and think it should always result in a yellow card, so have no problem with Evans' booking in the first half, however soft it may have seemed. However, when Cuellar dragged Valencia to the ground to prevent a counter attack and no card was produced, that's just unacceptable.
Agreed. Thats why I will never understand how John Terry, initially red-carded for a deliberate and cynical rugby tackle on an opponent who skinned him and left him for dead in the centre circle as the last defender, managed to get his red card rescinded later.

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Yep, as TT says any kind of jump tackle of that kind risks a red card. Whether or not it was malicious or won the ball doesn't change the fact that it's a dangerous challenge in which the player commits himself and puts the opponent at risk. It's perfectly reasonable, imo, to have a low tolerance of this kind of approach.

Some awful officiating after that, though. I strongly dislike the tactical foul and think it should always result in a yellow card, so have no problem with Evans' booking in the first half, however soft it may have seemed. However, when Cuellar dragged Valencia to the ground to prevent a counter attack and no card was produced, that's just unacceptable. Walton is one of a fairly long list of utter shite refs in the Premiership.
The "carvalho special" as I call it.

Unread 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
Agreed. Thats why I will never understand how John Terry, initially red-carded for a deliberate and cynical rugby tackle on an opponent who skinned him and left him for dead in the centre circle as the last defender, managed to get his red card rescinded later.
What, England Captain (at the time ) John Terry?

No, beats me too.

I still flummoxed as to how Shearer got away with kicking Neil Lennon in the face tbh.

Unread 19-02-2010, 02:01 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
Personally I cant make up my mind whether the current rules are reasonable or not. But thats by the by. The current rules are there. They exist. They are a reality. And its wrong for fans (or well-paid pundits) to criticise the refs on the pitch for correctly applying the rules that everyone knows about.