United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-07-2020, 03:24 AM
utd99

VdV sounds like a bitter #@&%!. We keep a lot of clean sheets for a team with a shite CB as captain.

Unread 10-07-2020, 07:15 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger
Where does he rank amongst English CBs of the modern era?

Ferdinand
Brown
Pallister
Terry
Campbell
King
Adams
Southgate
Carragher
Smalling
Jones
Stones
Upson
Not as good as

Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Adams, Carragher, Pallister

About as good as

Smalling, Brown, Southgate

Better than

King, Upson, Jones, Stones.

Young enough to get better too.

Unread 10-07-2020, 07:22 AM
sweetleftfoot

Just me who can see his influence on the side already then? Communicates really well on the pitch, wins loads of headers and is always playing alongside a potential brain fart like Lindelof or Bailly and in front of a keeper that has gone to shit in the last 12 months.

He is a very good, solid defender and a good leader on the pitch who genuinely seems to love playing for the Reds. He didnt pick his transfer fee.

Will captain United and England for the next 5 years and as Dr above is only going to get better, especially as we will sign a proper partner for him over the summer. Up the Slab.

Unread 10-07-2020, 07:25 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Just me who can see his influence on the side then? Communicates really well on the pitch, wins loads of headers and is always playing alongside a potential brain fart like Lindelof or Bailly and in front of a keeper that has gone to shit in the last 12 months.

He is a very good, solid defender and a good leader on the pitch who genuinely seems to love playing for the Reds. He didnt pick his transfer fee.

Will captain United and England for the next 5 years. Up the Slab.
Fully agreed and anyone who thinks otherwise is a bit simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Will never be as good as
Ferdinand,

Will eventually equal or surpass the level these acheived

Terry, Campbell, Adams, Carragher, Pallister Brown

Would be better than these if he lost a leg

Smalling, , Southgate

King, Upson, Jones, Stones.

Young enough to get better too.

Unread 10-07-2020, 07:32 AM
AK14

Our player of the season

Mr consistent.

Unread 10-07-2020, 07:35 AM
thatsfuctit

He's got a mistake in him, but he seems pretty strong mentally. He doesn't hide and he doesn't dwell on an mistakes unlike some players who you know can just descend into a quivering mess.

Unread 10-07-2020, 07:47 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Just me who can see his influence on the side already then? Communicates really well on the pitch, wins loads of headers and is always playing alongside a potential brain fart like Lindelof or Bailly and in front of a keeper that has gone to shit in the last 12 months.

Will captain United and England for the next 5 years and as Dr above is only going to get better, especially as we will sign a proper partner for him over the summer. Up the Slab.
Bang on. He's made a massive difference. Dunk is weird. So is VDV. Both are fat.

Unread 10-07-2020, 08:13 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Bang on. He's made a massive difference. Dunk is weird. So is VDV. Both are fat.
You’re a #@&%!.

Maguire’s character is ace, definitely made a difference, his ability not so much.

Unread 10-07-2020, 08:22 AM
shenwen

Don’t get the hate. He’s made a huge difference to the team. Very good defender. Great captain. Aren’t we second or third in goals conceded? Imagine how solid we’d be if he had a reliable partner back there?

Unread 10-07-2020, 08:24 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
If I am going to play with the amateurs on Sunday afternoon, I can easily find three who can do this (what Maguire does on the pitch). I mean that seriously. A bit silly to say, but I really think so."
Crikey.

Did Maguire sleep with his wife or something?

Unread 10-07-2020, 08:44 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Don’t get the hate. He’s made a huge difference to the team. Very good defender. Great captain. Aren’t we second or third in goals conceded? Imagine how solid we’d be if he had a reliable partner back there?
Bang on.

Unread 10-07-2020, 08:45 AM
Vedder

I think the price tag is what people don’t like. If we had picked him up for 30m we’d all be saying what a bargain he is, but for 80m he’s a bit meh

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:04 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
I think the price tag is what people don’t like. If we had picked him up for 30m we’d all be saying what a bargain he is, but for 80m he’s a bit meh
At £30m you'd be expecting massive improvement from him or an upgrade in a year or two, at £80m you're expecting the finished article and are stuck with him for most of the next decade. See Lindelof getting shit and everyone wanting him replaced despite being our stand out CB last season and half of the CB partnership being praised this.

I really like his character, he's grown on me massively, nqat. HE's a decent defender, worries me on the ball and with the playing out from the back and is slow and sluggish on the turn.

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:32 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
At £30m you'd be expecting massive improvement from him or an upgrade in a year or two, at £80m you're expecting the finished article and are stuck with him for most of the next decade. See Lindelof getting shit and everyone wanting him replaced despite being our stand out CB last season and half of the CB partnership being praised this.

I really like his character, he's grown on me massively, nqat. HE's a decent defender, worries me on the ball and with the playing out from the back and is slow and sluggish on the turn.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/searc...archid=2959927

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:34 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Apology not accepted.

You made your bed and can’t join Team Captain Mags[SIZE="1"]TM

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Dr Stranger

He has technical flaws that will rear their head from time to time, but so did John Terry and Tont Adams and they were top defenders.

He's in that mould. They weren't the most talented, but they were smart and their influence and personality was massive for Chelsea and arsenal.

Maguire can be that for us.

He's not a rolls Royce defender like Rio or (sorry) Van Dijk, and we need to accept that, but of his type, he's very good and we need his character.

Ole signs like Fergie did. He's as big on the person as the player

He needs a better partner next to him.

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:46 AM
atticusgrinch

Who can forget this doozy:

Quote:
defund the thought police

vCash: 119166

if looking like an extra from game of thrones were enough, I'd say ship him in, but.... smalling is a far better player. buy class or £#%&! off. if we can px jones to leicester, it would almost be worth it. but we could not buy maguire and put jones in a tree shredder.

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:49 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Apology not accepted.

You made your bed and can’t join Team Captain Mags[SIZE="1"]TM
Would never want to. Would be like joining the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

And there was definitely no apology there.

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:49 AM
Jack Duckworth

some head on the @#%&!.

Unread 10-07-2020, 09:51 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Who can forget this doozy:
Smalling is a good defender. Technically, not much between them. Said it when he signed and still believe it.

But there's a massive difference in personality, leadership and consistency.

That's what we bought. We bought a captain.
Closed Thread