Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Maybe we were too harsh on him
nope.

Unread 15-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I like the way him and LVG talk about the problems in the job, like it wasn't their job to fix them.

The job can be difficult AND they can fail in their attempts to do well. They're not mutually exclusive.
This ffs. Love (don't love) how they both clung on for dear life in this impossible job. You'd think they might be less bitter about their time here if they weren't responsible for the mess they left the club in, it's almost like they can't accept they failed

Unread 15-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I sort of buy into the theory that both men are too old school and harsh to connect with the modern player.

They require constant grooming and pampering. Pathetic, really.

Unread 15-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Crikey, that's no way to talk to Goth ffs
I apologise, I need to control my pashun.

Unread 15-05-2019, 02:39 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
I like the way him and LVG talk about the problems in the job, like it wasn't their job to fix them.

The job can be difficult AND they can fail in their attempts to do well. They're not mutually exclusive.
Culturally if the club or state of mind is poor then he can’t correct that alone. I personally think he tried but was undermined by the players and Woodward. If that’s the case he was £#%&!ed.

That said, we were awful to watch.

Unread 15-05-2019, 02:58 PM
shenwen

Don’t doubt what Mou says, but he can still £#%&! right off. Morbid @#%&!.

As least Louis gave us some laughs

Unread 15-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Both wasted exceptional amounts of money and were failures of their own making

Unread 15-05-2019, 03:10 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
He's right and we all know it but it's hard to feel anything for him because of the way he conducted himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Don’t doubt what Mou says, but he can still £#%&! right off. Morbid @#%&!.

As least Louis gave us some laughs
This.

And this.

Unread 15-05-2019, 03:55 PM
utd99

L’Equipe must be releasing the interview in installments, because I looked for the part where he talks about mistakes he made; nothing.

Unread 15-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
maybe they knew the solution but were shackled from above. It evident that Jose's solution was to buy buy buy....ready made players on long expensive contracts and they were no longer prepared to back him
I'm sure those limitations are in place. In fact, I'd say it's pretty clear given the struggles of every manager since Fergie.

But that doesn't absolve them of any responsibility at all.

Half the players he complained about were his and the rest is kept around. Same with LVG and it'll be the same for Ole once he has a few transfer windows under his belt.

We do this with the players too. Yes, the conditions are shit, but does anyone take any £#%&!ing responsibility any more?

I'd love to ask Jose what he thinks were some of the things he did wrong.

Not what went wrong, what HE did wrong.

Unread 15-05-2019, 05:02 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I sort of buy into the theory that both men are too old school and harsh to connect with the modern player.

They require constant grooming and pampering. Pathetic, really.
Yes, and younger managers like Klopp and Guardiola seem to get this instinctively.

(though let's see how our present not so old manager gets on with this lot in the coming months......)

Unread 15-05-2019, 05:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Great point

Players wanted feedback by email and then didn't open my messages. How could I manage them?

Start by telling them to £#%&! off and if they don't like it, find another club.
This is where you need club backing. We'd hear reports at the time that the "senior players" had a direct line to Ed and would report concerns to him. Ideally at that point the club tells the players that refusing to be coached isn't really acceptable.

The same way the club might have told Pogba that going on French TV to throw subbies at Mourinho at the end of last season wasn't really acceptable. When you don't do these things you contribute reducing the manager's authority. Hence Mou talking about discipline needing to come from the top. At most other clubs these days the clubs hold the players to account, not just the manager.

Quote:
I'm sure those limitations are in place. In fact, I'd say it's pretty clear given the struggles of every manager since Fergie.

Half the players he complained about were his and the rest is kept around. Same with LVG and it'll be the same for Ole once he has a few transfer windows under his belt.

We do this with the players too. Yes, the conditions are shit, but does anyone take any £#%&!ing responsibility any more?

Of course he wouldn't admit his mistakes. I don't think he's said that players were bought against his wishes, which I'm sure he would have by now. So if Sanchez, Lukaku, Pogba and Matic were bought with his approval on huge money and wages and he can't get anything out of them by the end it clearly doesn't reflect too well on him.

But maybe him firing at the club isn't a bad thing. The more pressure on the board to get their act together the slightly better chance we see some progress.

Unread 15-05-2019, 05:52 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yes, and younger managers like Klopp and Guardiola seem to get this instinctively.

(though let's see how our present not so old manager gets on with this lot in the coming months......)
Mourinho is one year older than Klopp

Unread 15-05-2019, 11:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Nah, four years - though actually even that makes Klopp a bit older than I thought he was.

Unread 16-05-2019, 05:32 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
and still has all his own teeth

Unread 16-05-2019, 08:43 PM
utd99

Quote:

He’d probably say things like ‘too generous’ and ‘too patient’.
Closed Thread