United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I'm not sure on what basis Shearer would be coming into United with that attitude anyway tbf.

And of course Fergie let people get away with shit like that. Keane and Ferdinand amongst others have held United to ransom over contracts. Did Fergie bin them? No, because they still had utility to him.

Part of Fergie's genius was he knew how to individually manage people.
Keane had a point TBH. At the time, Ferguson at N'castle was on more than him by a fair bit.
Couldn't argue with Keane wanting to be paid what he was worth.

Ferdinanad - yeah, you're prolly right there. But they weren't thinking they were Jack the Biscuit, just that they wanted more money.
The Lennon incident tells you all you need to know about SOP.

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Keane had a point TBH. At the time, Ferguson at N'castle was on more than him by a fair bit.
Couldn't argue with Keane wanting to be paid what he was worth.

Ferdinanad - yeah, you're prolly right there. But they weren't thinking they were Jack the Biscuit, just that they wanted more money.
The Lennon incident tells you all you need to know about SOP.

I'm sure Fergie would have been gutted about Shearer stopping playing for England had be been at United

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:20 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
I'm sure Fergie would have been gutted about Shearer stopping playing for England had be been at United
You know what I mean.

i mean, booting Lennon in the head - it's not only forgivable. It's understandable.

But it shows you how quickly he'd £#%&! off if he didn't get his way.

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Coracao

Quote:
You know what I mean.

i mean, booting Lennon in the head - it's not only forgivable. It's understandable.

But it shows you how quickly he'd £#%&! off if he didn't get his way.
You mean like Roy Keane walking out on his country just before the World Cup?

Shearer no doubt had an ego. Most great players do though, and there have been a £#%&!load of those who have had massive success at United. In fact, it should probably be a pre-requisite.

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:25 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
You mean like Roy Keane walking out on his country just before the World Cup?

Shearer no doubt had an ego. Most great players do though, and there have been a £#%&!load of those who have had massive success at United. In fact, it should probably be a pre-requisite.
Keane walked out cos they were £#%&!ing incompetent amateurs.

SOP threatened to walk out cos they wanted to punish him for assaulting a fellow player.

Bit of a difference.

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Literally everything I'm saying is factual. Shearer may have been good enough to score in the Champions League, inspire teams to European glory etc. But he didn't. He spent his career scoring goals for Blackburn and Newcastle, where there was far less pressure.

If he's got anything about him he must wonder how he'd have done at the very top.
So £#%&!ing what? He fired one of them to the title. Blackburn's next best player was Sutton who spent his best years in Scotland. Tactics Tim was the bloody captain ffs.

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:28 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
So £#%&!ing what? He fired one of them to the title. Blackburn's next best player was Sutton who spent his best years in Scotland. Tactics Tim was the bloody captain ffs.
So he's unproven at the elite level. Don't know why this is such a contentious point tbh.

Quote:

SOP threatened to walk out cos they wanted to punish him for assaulting a fellow player.

Bit of a difference.
Fergie probably would have sided with him though.

Tactically it could have been interesting. The only time Fergie went with a goalscorer the team was set up to feed was RvN and he's suggested he thinks that was a mistake. When he sees how the goals were spread in 99 maybe he doesn't regret not having Shearer.

Was the 4-man striking options possible with Shearer around?

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Coracao

Quote:

Bit of a difference.
Both instances are players with an ego throwing their toys out of the pram.

Fergie would likely have had no issues with Shearer at United. The guy delivered on the pitch.

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Buck

Quote:
So he's unproven at the elite level. Don't know why this is such a contentious point tbh.
That's like saying Bryan Robson was unproven at the elite level. We know that's not true. Moreover you could argue the Premier League has been its worst state in the last six or seven years as opposed to the early 90s. The quality of defending went through a seriously laughable phase, all the money in the world just led to embarrassments in Europe and the physical nature has changed. If Shearer were playing for Newcastle now he'd be way more protected by refs than he was then.

Unread 08-09-2019, 10:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
That's like saying Bryan Robson was unproven at the elite level. We know that's not true. Moreover you could argue the Premier League has been its worst state in the last six or seven years as opposed to the early 90s. The quality of defending went through a seriously laughable phase, all the money in the world just led to embarrassments in Europe and the physical nature has changed. If Shearer were playing for Newcastle now he'd be way more protected by refs than he was then.
We just had two Premier League teams in the Champions League final. And neither were even the champions.

Compare to the mid-90s when we and Blackburn could barely win a game against sides from Russia.

Unread 09-09-2019, 12:37 AM
RedMenace

Quote:
We just had two Premier League teams in the Champions League final. And neither were even the champions.

Compare to the mid-90s when we and Blackburn could barely win a game against sides from Russia.
And two in the Europa final for what that's worth.

Unread 09-09-2019, 02:09 AM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
He may be a #@&%! but his England XI is spot on.

Seamen.

Campbell
Ferdinand
Terry

Beckham
Scholes
A Cole

Lamps
Stevie G

Rooney
Shearer

Good team that
No Robbo

Unread 09-09-2019, 02:38 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
No Robbo
Probably players he's played with tbf

Unread 09-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
No Robbo
I think it was a best XI from the last 19 years

Unread 09-09-2019, 08:32 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
No Robbo
Assumed it was players he had played with.

Otherwise a midfield 3 of Robson, Gazza and Scholes would have been immense.

Edit: Oddly enough, that midfield would suit playing with a speedster up front rather than both Shearer and Rooney.

You know who would have gelled well in that team?

Vardy.

Seriously.

Gazza, Scholes, A Cole and Beckham feeding inot Vardy and Shearer would have been goals.

Unread 09-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quite common for Lippi to tell his players to go home and study non-elite strikers iirc

Quote:
. " And for the man to still be producing at the highest level is really an amazing feat. After a match against Juventus I met Alex Del Piero who like myself could only speak in the most glowing of terms about Shearer. He’d terrorised the Juve defenders when the clubs met in Newcastle. They found him one of the most difficult opponents they had ever faced. The coach Marcello Lippi had been purring about Shearer’s performance. So much so that his strikers Alex, David (Trezeguet) and Marcelo (Salas) were ordered to take home videos and study Shearer’s display.” (Batistuta)

Unread 09-09-2019, 12:03 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Boring @#%&!.

Him not you etc.

Any takes of him boozing and womanising in the book?

Unread 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Boring @#%&!.

Him not you etc.

Any takes of him boozing and womanising in the book?
Quote:
One time the entire squad went down to London to take part in "team bonding" exercises. The management thought climbing up steep hills, playing the Crystal Maze (it turned out Stephane Henchoz was claustrophobic so couldn't be in the dome with the rest of us), and meditation would bring all the lads together. The senior players had another idea. When all that was done Jamie Redknapp and a few others told us all to get dressed as a new s£#%&!y club was opening that night. He knew one of the guys in charge. I have to admit I preferred nights in watching Monty Python reruns or DVDs of my goals so far but they say teamwork makes the dream work so I got suited up.

It was a nice place. Lots of beautiful women, decent music. Others were more of a hit with the ladies but I was calm just relaxing in the corner. There was one lady who caught my eye. A long legged brunette came up to me.

"Michael Owen huh...England's golden boy"

For a moment I was tongue tied.

"That's right. The Michael Owen part at least"

We both chuckled. Then I asked her name.

"Michelle"

How would you like to be Michelle Owen? I had in my mind to ask.

Jamie then popped up to us before I could.

"Michael, it's nice you've met Michelle. She's the wife of my friend who owns the place. Have you met Danny?"

%@#$&!s.

Unread 09-09-2019, 01:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Quite common for Lippi to tell his players to go home and study non-elite strikers iirc
Just checked and he scored one goal in that group too. Also a pen. Good shout
Closed Thread