United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
That has to be a team wide mindset to get the best of his abilities in that area. Utd have not pressed the ball consistently for a long time. Will be interesting to see if Moyes can move the team away from dropping off to the edge of the box as the main defensive tactic.

Like the potential of Thiago, Kagawa, Nani, Van Persie, even Cleverley and Anderson, linking up, all technically solid players who can move the ball quickly.
they've pressed the ball high up the pitch in certain big games though, which is the thing people overlook - vermin, chelsea away, even real away ...

they tend to drop off against weaker opposition which has to be an energy-saving tactic above all. genuinely interested to see how the United injury proneness changes with the change at the top? whether there will be any difference in that area with new coaching and training methods?

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

It will also be interesting to see how much influence Guardiola can have at Bayern if he bottles it and attempts to change his own style to theirs. If he makes a few tweaks to make his mark then he could fall betwixt and between, so he's got a tricky first season.
Difficult task for him really. Bayern coming off their best season ever, then heavy reinvestment in a fairly young squad. Sounds like a perfect scenario but the expectation will be immense. Changing too much too soon would be foolish but if he looks to maintain the current style he risks the feeling that it is still a Jupp Heynckes side.

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
they've pressed the ball high up the pitch in certain big games though, which is the thing people overlook - vermin, chelsea away, even real away ...

they tend to drop off against weaker opposition which has to be an energy-saving tactic above all. genuinely interested to see how the United injury proneness changes with the change at the top? whether there will be any difference in that area with new coaching and training methods?
What a load of %@#$&!s

I've seen Utd press for maybe 15 to 20 minutes but they can never sustain it over a half of football nevermind the whole match

Madrid Away? They had most of the ball and pressure and we played on the counter attack
Chelsea Away? Even early on when we played really well it was on the counter attack

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Tiberian

Quote:

I think with Vidic and Rio both slowing down there has also been a reluctance to allow space behind. An unsuccessful pressing game also runs the risk of allowing the opposing attack the opportunity to isolate defenders one v one, again with a lack of mobility in the middle of defence this is not a good situation.

Ties in to when Moyes wants to make the change from Rio/Vidic to Jones/Evans/Smalling.

For all that the Utd style has not been the most aesthetically pleasing in the last 2-3 years it has, at least domestically, been extremely efficient at picking up a very large number of points, the last 2 years are among the highest point totals Utd have ever accumulated.

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Difficult task for him really. Bayern coming off their best season ever, then heavy reinvestment in a fairly young squad. Sounds like a perfect scenario but the expectation will be immense. Changing too much too soon would be foolish but if he looks to maintain the current style he risks the feeling that it is still a Jupp Heynckes side.
precisely

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
What a load of %@#$&!s
that was exactly how I was going to reply to your post but I'm far tto polite and decided not to quote you instead

United tried to force the error high up the pitch in madrid and the result of that was that they stayed in the game throughout and ought really to have won it

they did the same at Chelsea and the result of that was that they got into a dominant position

they did the same at home to Liverpool and the result of tha... well you get the idea.

If you don't agree then that's perfectly fine by me. But if you want to just say What a load of %@#$&!s to each other's posts then find someone else to bore. Thanks.

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I think with Vidic and Rio both slowing down there has also been a reluctance to allow space behind. An unsuccessful pressing game also runs the risk of allowing the opposing attack the opportunity to isolate defenders one v one, again with a lack of mobility in the middle of defence this is not a good situation.

Ties in to when Moyes wants to make the change from Rio/Vidic to Jones/Evans/Smalling.

For all that the Utd style has not been the most aesthetically pleasing in the last 2-3 years it has, at least domestically, been extremely efficient at picking up a very large number of points, the last 2 years are among the highest point totals Utd have ever accumulated.
yeah it's been about getting the most from the physical capabilities of his players more than anything - and the likes of Giggs and Ferdinand (and Evra) have been put under tremendous pressure by the constant injuries around them. that Ferguson managed the situation to achieve 2 league titles and very nearly 3 is a fitting tribute to his entire career at United, and Moyes must be like a pig in shit to walk into a side with so much young talent primed to step out of the shadows. remains to be seen how he'll manage the transition but I'm optimistic tbh

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:12 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

The injury situation seemed to improve a bit last year. Seems like they were managing the inury prone players like Cleverley, Rio and RVP a little better.

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
The injury situation seemed to improve a bit last year. Seems like they were managing the inury prone players like Cleverley, Rio and RVP a little better.
fair comment on the long term rio injury, but pretty sure he had more games than anyone expected. main problems are rooney, anderson, young, rafael, vidic and evans tbh - it's a fair old chunk of the squad that. there was also the ridiculous sight of jones getting knock after knock and being rolled out for the next one and the next one in his first season. cleverley was less managed than just written off it seemed. he sums it up really - the real weakness isn't the players we have, it's how often too many of them are unavailable.

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
It will also be interesting to see how much influence Guardiola can have at Bayern if he bottles it and attempts to change his own style to theirs. If he makes a few tweaks to make his mark then he could fall betwixt and between, so he's got a tricky first season.
Quote:
Apparently he's already experimented with three at the back in pre-season, albeit just for one game (or a half, can't remember).
There's been talk that he could use both Martinez and Schweinsteiger in the back three Mad bastard. Love Pep, tbh

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Apparently he's already experimented with three at the back in pre-season, albeit just for one game (or a half, can't remember).
There's been talk that he could use both Martinez and Schweinsteiger in the back three Mad bastard. Love Pep, tbh
that's probably what I'd try and do tbh

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
that's probably what I'd try and do tbh

Really would be fascinating to see him in the Premier League one day. Only if it's at United, though. He can do Germany and Italy first

Unread 06-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Really would be fascinating to see him in the Premier League one day. Only if it's at United, though. He can do Germany and Italy first
i can see carrick desperately trying hurried angled balls in behind lahm even now

Unread 06-07-2013, 06:42 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Still hoping the reported interest in Griezmann is true
Off to Madrid.

For £30m they can have him. Thirty £#%&!ing million!

I'd take Khadira off them, if they want to sell.

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Aman27deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Off to Madrid.

For £30m they can have him. Thirty £#%&!ing million!

I'd take Khadira off them, if they want to sell.
Khedira? No, thanks.

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Whalefish

Thiago and Fellaini or Geoffrey Kondogbia would do me.

Think a new (long term) left back would be useful but not necessary this window. Unless Evra does fancy a return to France.

I don't get the Garay interest but then United did shift a few last season, and the CBs either need to be managed or have a history of injuries. Smalling in particular. £#%&!ing shame that tbh.

Unread 13-07-2013, 09:18 PM
armchair

only god knows the answer

Unread 13-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
In my opinion Thiago is nowhere near a realistic target. In fact, I have been utterly stunned that we actually seem so close to signing him.

He's just not the type of player we sign; a technically brilliant, world-class, Latin player from another European heavyweight. When was the last time we did that? Veron?

Obviously we've all known for a few seasons that the midfield needs strengthening, and we've all listed potential players that we should sign, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think we'd get this kid. It just seems far too good to be true.
Yep. I knew it.

Unread 13-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
only god knows the answer
Maybe he is the answer

Unread 13-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Maybe he is the answer