United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Aman27deep

Default Why did United lack motivation yesterday against city?

Biggest game of the season, and we didn't have it in us.

The only person who was trying 100% was Wayne Rooney and I highly commend him for that. Only thing shining in the backhole was he yesterday.

It's not a secret that even an average team when highly motivated can go out and beat a vastly superior team, and yesterday on paper it was a 1:1 squad out there for me.

City players were seemingly giving their 100% and I was waiting for us to go into the fifth or sixth gear, but I don't think yesterday we went above the second gear all match (that too only on the second half). Everytime city were breaking I was feeling like they would score. Everyone was letting the city players go past us.

The lack of motivation in players yesterday was sickening really. If you're not motivated enough to play against city as a United player - who are undoubtedly our biggest rivals, then why play football? No one was putting a tackle in and it was really sad to watch the whole match considering how we played.

Maybe Kompany was right yesterday. Indeed "it means more to us (city) than them".

Unread 23-09-2013, 07:30 AM
believe

I honestly can't remember the last time we got out of second gear. As many have said, this rot started a long long time before Moyes was appointed and I for one, wonder if Moyes has the character to pull us out of it.

You also wonder what kind of input the backroom staff have on the team. Can you really imagine Phil Neville giving a motivating team talk?

Unread 23-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Mr Castro

I suppose you have to look at the coaching, because it's them who should be motivating the team to a better performance. But the players need to look at themselves too. Rooney aside nobody out there earned the right to wear that shirt, I said it was the worst United performance I've ever seen and I stand by that.

Kompany is right but I think it's a little bit too simplistic at the same time to just say they wanted it more because it doesn't fully tell the story.

Unread 23-09-2013, 07:58 AM
rafabio

It was not motivation that was lacking. It was talent that was lacking.

Unread 23-09-2013, 08:05 AM
fergieslovechild

Better players playing as a better team. What else is there to say.

Unread 23-09-2013, 09:43 AM
TC23 Henchasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
It was not motivation that was lacking. It was talent that was lacking.
Both in equal measures.

We didn't win a single 50/50, we didn't win a single second ball, we didn't track back, we lost most of the aerial battles.

They were fired up to £#%&! and we were not but its ok because it's not our biggest game, apparently that's Liverpool but we managed to roll over in that one too.

We're waiting for Madrid I reckon, we'll fly into those bastards, always been our biggest game they have

Unread 23-09-2013, 09:47 AM
rebelcountyred

Problem yesterday was mainly down to the personnel, some players put in substandard shifts, de gea, vidic, smalling, Carrick, fellaini, wellbeck, evra, rio looks past his best, young and Valencia are just substandard most weeks and should be banned We havea big squad but a lot of that squad is just so much filler, real lack of quality options especially in central midfield. We can possibly strengthen in the next transfer window but in the meantime I would like to see the like of adnan, nani, Evans, Chico, zaha and lingard when he returns from loan getting gametime.

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:02 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
Problem yesterday was mainly down to the personnel, some players put in substandard shifts, de gea, vidic, smalling, Carrick, fellaini, wellbeck, evra, rio looks past his best, young and Valencia are just substandard most weeks and should be banned We havea big squad but a lot of that squad is just so much filler, real lack of quality options especially in central midfield. We can possibly strengthen in the next transfer window but in the meantime I would like to see the like of adnan, nani, Evans, Chico, zaha and lingard when he returns from loan getting gametime.
when you look at the options, it's easy to see why moyes goes for the players he does.

can't understand his formation or tactics, but I see where he is coming from with players.

de gea can't really be blamed. smalling was left exposed as a fullback with no help, carrick and fellaini had too much to do (but weren't so bad). welbeck had a poor game. rio and vidic have no excuse for their lack of awareness and commitment (rio especially). evra kept going.

valencia should have covered smalling. young...... it is better not to speak of him.

but it is down to moyes, not just gutless players not up for it or switching off.

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:05 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I honestly can't remember the last time we got out of second gear. As many have said, this rot started a long long time before Moyes was appointed and I for one, wonder if Moyes has the character to pull us out of it.

You also wonder what kind of input the backroom staff have on the team. Can you really imagine Phil Neville giving a motivating team talk?
The Leverküsen game was pretty encouraging, albeit the opposition weren't up to much. Football with the handbrake off, in Europe, actually looked like a corner had been turned. Right back to square one now

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:32 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Bit easy to criticise motivation everytime you get beat IMO.

Reacted in the right way at 4-0 down, but by then the damage was done but poor team setup, wrong players in wrong formation.

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:44 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!

Reacted in the right way at 4-0 down, but by then the damage was done but poor team setup, wrong players in wrong formation.
we did not improve really in the last half hour that was just city letting us off the hook, I genuinely feared that we would be beat by 6,7,8 goals at one stage yesterday, they just ripped us apart, we could not deal with that Spanish wingers pace either, united players must have been relieved when he went off.

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:45 AM
believe

Quote:

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:46 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
we did not improve really in the last half hour that was just city letting us off the hook, I genuinely feared that we would be beat by 6,7,8 goals at one stage yesterday, they just ripped us apart, we could not deal with that Spanish wingers pace either, united players must have been relieved when he went off.
More than likely, but we actually created some chances at 4-0 down.

Navas ripped us to bits, but Evra once again was asked to mark him and provide our only option on the left hand side and in the first half deal with Zabaleta too.

That 2nd goal. :shakehead:

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:47 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Shows how incredible bad it was. 3 goals either side of HT.

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:48 AM
TC23 Henchasaurus

Surprised people think that Navas was particularly good. I thought he was and is pretty average myself, so much so I'm £#%&!ing amazed we didn't sign him.

Unread 23-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Shows how incredible bad it was. 3 goals either side of HT.
yep, a proper collapse.

take away that goal just before the break and we are delighted to get out of that 1st half 1-0.

to leave the back door open like that at the start of the 2nd half is unbelievable.

actually if you see past the horror of the scoreline and the way the goals went in, it's probably not as dramatic a loss as it felt like at the time. the worst bit was knowing there was still half an hour to go, so at least they kept fighting after that, and the fact the goals all went in so close to each other can be seen as a blip. that's what United will be telling themselves, anyhoo.

Unread 23-09-2013, 11:02 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
yep, a proper collapse.

take away that goal just before the break and we are delighted to get out of that 1st half 1-0.

to leave the back door open like that at the start of the 2nd half is unbelievable.

actually if you see past the horror of the scoreline and the way the goals went in, it's probably not as dramatic a loss as it felt like at the time. the worst bit was knowing there was still half an hour to go, so at least they kept fighting after that, and the fact the goals all went in so close to each other can be seen as a blip. that's what United will be telling themselves, anyhoo.
We were in the game at 1-0. Nani for Young and we had a chance of getting a result.

The lazy @#%&! went to sleep on 46 minutes and conceded a corner of which you knew what was coming. The same useless @#%&! who gave away a corner at Anfield and you know what happened next. NOT £#%&!ING GOOD ENOUGH. He's in the team to defend (obviously not attack because he's Bebe standards) but he didn't do his job properly. Two goals from his side again and off he comes.

That 2nd goal for me was a complete and utter disgrace, and sums up the attitude of certain players yesterday.

Unread 23-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
We were in the game at 1-0. Nani for Young and we had a chance of getting a result.

The lazy @#%&! went to sleep on 46 minutes and conceded a corner of which you knew what was coming. The same useless @#%&! who gave away a corner at Anfield and you know what happened next. NOT £#%&!ING GOOD ENOUGH. He's in the team to defend (obviously not attack because he's Bebe standards) but he didn't do his job properly. Two goals from his side again and off he comes.

That 2nd goal for me was a complete and utter disgrace, and sums up the attitude of certain players yesterday.
hard to argue tbh - i'm beaten! :smileysdon'tworkonedit:

Unread 23-09-2013, 11:11 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC23 Henchasaurus
When?

They were much more dangerous coming down their left. Th eone goal that did come from Navas side was just shocking defending all round, no genius wing play.
Yeah don't understand the rush to get stuck into Evra considering some of the other passengers. Evra was woeful going forward but was hardly consistently being caught out at the back.

Unread 23-09-2013, 12:06 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Yeah don't understand the rush to get stuck into Evra considering some of the other passengers. Evra was woeful going forward but was hardly consistently being caught out at the back.
smalling hasn't even proven himself as a centre back, never mind full back. What was the thinking there? Was Smalling the best option we had? Feels a bit like playing O'Shea at right back because he might win some headers :shakehead:
Closed Thread