United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Mr_Ed

Football Hangaland (sp) > Smalling (sp)

Forgive the spelling... I'm on my phone.

The former would be a better investment no?

Unread 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Ginners

Default Re: Hangaland (sp) > Smalling (sp)

from what ive seen smalling doesnt look anywhere near a 15m defender, but hangalaand is like 29 so wouldnt be worth it

Unread 04-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Whalefish

We've paid 15million for Smalling?

Unread 04-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
We've paid 15million for Smalling?
rounded up

Unread 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
rounded up
From about 7million? Or the 12million some press quoted? Or the.....

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM
moransbleedinghead

depends on what you mean by investment, if by it you mean can be immediately effective next year, then Hangeland would be a better buy, but if by the use of the word investment you are implying something long term, then Smalling is worth a 7million punt. Hangeland wilbe 29 by the time next season starts, Smalling 21.

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Redhod99

Adam Johnson > Smalling and is a more accurate reflection of the choice we apparently had. Johnson is going to be a superstar, i'm not saying Smalling won't but I find the whole thing a bit odd. He isn't exactly young at 20 and has played a handful of games outside of non league football. Well weird.

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Whalefish

I've only seen him play one game and that was against Chelsea (I think) he looked alright, quick and strong enough. Given his development to date I'm not expecting the finished article.

However, I'm more concerned about addressing other areas atm and would probably prefer the club to spend cash on players that play further forwards. Will soon see.

Mind you, the last time Fergie bought a CB (and a LB) most folk were calling for his head baffled by the decision as other areas, it was thought, needed sorting first. Didn't turn out too badly.

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Macca1990

I wonder how much people have watched Smalling, enough it seems to judge how good hes going to be.

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Flix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I've only seen him play one game and that was against Chelsea (I think) he looked alright, quick and strong enough. Given his development to date I'm not expecting the finished article.

However, I'm more concerned about addressing other areas atm and would probably prefer the club to spend cash on players that play further forwards. Will soon see.

Mind you, the last time Fergie bought a CB (and a LB) most folk were calling for his head baffled by the decision as other areas, it was thought, needed sorting first. Didn't turn out too badly.
Was just gonna post that Fergie has a decent record with centre backs - it's one position he doesn't often get wrong

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:31 PM
dunk

Quite happy with the signing of Smalling, pissed off that we didn't bother with Johnson though, I wanted us to move for him last summer and was surprised no-one moved for him. Gutted City got him.

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Coracao

The 45m signing of Tosic, and 34m signing of Smallig have been pathetic tbf.

Unread 05-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flix
Was just gonna post that Fergie has a decent record with centre backs - it's one position he doesn't often get wrong
Two words.... William and Prunier

Unread 05-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Two words.... William and Prunier
Yep.

A trial signing for 2 games undoes every centre half Fergie has ever signed.

Unread 05-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhod99
He isn't exactly young at 20.

Johnson does look very good, I agree. But 20 is young.

Unread 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
borsuk

ever since smalling signed the press have been watching for any and all mistakes. 'manchester united's new signing today...'

goes with the territory now, better get used to it. anyway, it's not like he's going to be in the first team any time soon. a couple of games early next season then back to the reserves for an extended period, like most young new signings.

Unread 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca1990
I wonder how much people have watched Smalling, enough it seems to judge how good hes going to be.
One person it's safe to assume hasn't watched him is Alex Ferguson. He's only bought him on agreement that he takes 30% of his wages in cash. Everyones a winner then.

Unread 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
rogieop

anyone see any other decent english centre halves around for that money? even shawcross would cost us 20-25 million at the min.

i think its pretty obvious there is going to be a quota brought in on foreign players sooner rather than later.

i think fergie is looking to b bring in good young english players and mould them now, leaving room for any foreign"flair" players in the future.

you only have to look back to the start of the season and his insistence on playing foster.

lets not forget either, that even if VDS hadn't gotten injured there was a very high possibility theat Foster was going to start the season as our No. 1.

Unread 05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

Johnson does look very good, I agree. But 20 is young.
Yeah, if you're like 40 ffs.

Unread 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
ever since smalling signed the press have been watching for any and all mistakes. 'manchester united's new signing today...'

goes with the territory now, better get used to it. anyway, it's not like he's going to be in the first team any time soon. a couple of games early next season then back to the reserves for an extended period, like most young new signings.
they havent had to work very hard to find them tbh. every game he plays he seems to directly cost his team a goal.
Closed Thread