United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He’ll be 34 when that expires...

Imagine signing off on a deal that will keep Chris Smalling at the club until he’s 34.
jesus christ

Unread 03-04-2019, 08:37 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I assume he's in NZ but just for the avoidance of doubt with anyone planning on visiting the South Coast...Bournemouth is NOT classier than Christchurch.

Both are a bit rough though it must be said.

Whoooooooooooosh

Unread 03-04-2019, 08:42 AM
MartialLaw

I still don't understand why they give it to him now instead of waiting till the end of the season. Well I do, he was the cheap option.

I love the guy but there is a reason he was managing in the Norwegian league. It's got all the hallmarks of another complete woodward £#%&! up.

Unread 03-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialLaw
I still don't understand why they give it to him now instead of waiting till the end of the season. Well I do, he was the cheap option.

I love the guy but there is a reason he was managing in the Norwegian league. It's got all the hallmarks of another complete woodward £#%&! up.
Or, and this may sound crazy, that appointing him now saves weeks of faffing in the summer and preparations for next season can start now. Mental idea.

Unread 03-04-2019, 09:08 AM
MartialLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Or, and this may sound crazy, that appointing him now saves weeks of faffing in the summer and preparations for next season can start now. Mental idea.
It certainly sounded crazy when we seen Ashley young lining up at centre back last night.

Unread 03-04-2019, 09:35 AM
20LEgend1999

When Solskjaer got the job, we were 1 point in front of Wolves, 2 in front of Everton, West Ham and Watford and 3 in front of 11th placed Bournemouth. We were closer to 13th placed Brighton than we were to Champion's League places.

We were also 13 points behind the team managed by the apparent first choice (while being just 12 points from Cardiff and 14 points from the relegation zone). We've lost twice in the league since then, to a team who were 8 points a head of us, and Wolves. In that time, Spurs' 13 point lead over us has become joint on points, with a game in hand. They haven't won in the League since February 10th. The defeats against Arsenal and Wolves were bad, and the performances have been poor. The fact those are the only two league defeats under this manager, considering the squad we have, should speak volumes.

Unread 03-04-2019, 09:43 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
When Solskjaer got the job, we were 1 point in front of Wolves, 2 in front of Everton, West Ham and Watford and 3 in front of 11th placed Bournemouth. We were closer to 13th placed Brighton than we were to Champion's League places.

We were also 13 points behind the team managed by the apparent first choice (while being just 12 points from Cardiff and 14 points from the relegation zone). We've lost twice in the league since then, to a team who were 8 points a head of us, and Wolves. In that time, Spurs' 13 point lead over us has become joint on points, with a game in hand. They haven't won in the League since February 10th. The defeats against Arsenal and Wolves were bad, and the performances have been poor. The fact those are the only two league defeats under this manager, considering the squad we have, should speak volumes.
It's true. We've come so far but the feeling that the bubble has burst is pretty hard to shake. Three of the last four games, and we didn't play well in the other one. It's turned from a blip to a slump nqat.

So many of the usual suspects who'd really stepped it up in the revival are reverting to type. None more than Pogba. It's heartbreaking, just feels like pushing shit uphill. Nothing really changes.

Unread 03-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
It's true. We've come so far but the feeling that the bubble has burst is pretty hard to shake. Three of the last four games, and we didn't play well in the other one. It's turned from a blip to a slump nqat.

So many of the usual suspects who'd really stepped it up in the revival are reverting to type. None more than Pogba. It's heartbreaking, just feels like pushing shit uphill. Nothing really changes.
It’s not a slump. It’s a poor team reverting to type.

Mourinho was poor but he was far from solely responsible for this bunch of @#%&!s, he’d simply got sick of them.

At this stage I’m starting to understand why

Unread 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It’s not a slump. It’s a poor team reverting to type.

Mourinho was poor but he was far from solely responsible for this bunch of @#%&!s, he’d simply got sick of them.

At this stage I’m starting to understand why
We are also showing our total lack of strength in depth. Mourinho was an absolute state by the end and should have gone in the summer but we've been calling the same players out for years now. People praising Smalling recently when you just know there's another game changing £#%&! up around the corner from him; Young still being here even though collectively we have been calling for him to be shelved for years; Matic with the legs of an 80 year old anaemic; Lingard being a total nothing player ('but his movement helps the team!' Why don't we splash out on a player that has good movement but can also put in consistently good performances ffs). I could keep going but what's the point, it isn't anything that hasn't been said before. I will reserve any proper judgement of Ole until next year, as I'm a sane individual who knows that the problems with this club lie majorly with the people at the top (looking at you Woodward) and the fact we have a horrendously sub-par squad. I hope to God that these last few games act as a reminder to those in charge that the structure of the club needs a genuine overhaul and that a director of football is necessary. Liverpool did it, and look at them now; they're a well oiled machine and are improving year after year. We need to get over ourselves and realise if you want to reap the benefits of being a huge club in world football you also need to win things, because another half a decade of this and I doubt we will be attracting many new fans whose money Woodward so desperately wants.

Unread 03-04-2019, 11:04 AM
MagnificentSeven

he earned the appointment. had us winning almost all of our games, until arsenal the other week we'd only lost one game, which was the first leg of a tie we went on to win. wins at arsenal, chelsea and spurs, places which are difficult for us. outstanding record. obviously it was never going to last but he deserves it.

this poor run of form is on the players. he does need to give them a kick up the arse though.

Unread 03-04-2019, 12:08 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
Honestly think we could do with an out and out striker too. Rashford is good but I'd love us to nab that Jovic or someone of that ilk.
Yes - good point.

Would you sell Lukaku or would you have e.g. Jovic/Rashford/Martial/Lukaku/New Sanchez as our main attacking options?

Unread 03-04-2019, 12:17 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Yes - good point.

Would you sell Lukaku or would you have e.g. Jovic/Rashford/Martial/Lukaku/New Sanchez as our main attacking options?
If a club came along and offered us 60 mil+ for Lukaku then I'd snap their hand off, but of the clubs with that kind of money who would want him? He is a decent back up and bringing in another striker means we can experiment with our line up (2 strikers up top in a modern variation of a 442, three up top with your standard 433). We need to evolve away from the stagnant football we play and a bit of competition for these places wouldn't hurt any of them. I love Martial but even I'm beginning to suspect when he doesn't have someone competing for his spot he can become lacklustre. That said, our defensive deficiencies must be focused on first; we could have Ronaldo and Messi up top and we'd still concede pathetic goals and lose games in ridiculous ways with the clowns we have back there currently.

Unread 03-04-2019, 12:50 PM
dunk

We're proper light on attacking and midfield options.

Lingard was one of our 2 forwards last night and Dalot has been filling in there ffs.

Unread 03-04-2019, 03:27 PM
saffers

Quote:

Bowing to pressure.

Such a weakminded £#%&!er.

We have our very own Gary Cook with even more power in charge. Look how much moneys been pissed away in the last 6 years. It's embarrassing.

Unread 03-04-2019, 03:45 PM
ScarFace

Ole isn't the issue.

The issue is having to give contracts to players who are not good enough, because we're too tight to replace them.

Honestly over half our starting line-up isn't good enough and probably everybody feels the same...Ronaldo was right.

Unread 03-04-2019, 04:11 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Dont usually like Craig Burley but he was spot on when he said Woodward has been caught up in the hype and appointed him without any proper thought. Rushed it without even needing to do so.

Quote:
The decision to give Solskjaer the job full-time, I think it’s a crazy, crazy decision, particularly now before the end of the season,” he told The Sports Bar on Tuesday night.

“I’m not just saying this now after that game, because I’ve said it before.e'

“Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world and, on the evidence of what we’ve seen recently, they need a massive rebuilding job to be fighting back with Liverpool and Man City.

“To give the job to someone who is so inexperienced, with a so-so managerial record become he arrived, that’s not got ‘long-term strategy’ written all over it to me, that’s got ‘sentimental claptrap to appease fans’ written all over it.

“Manchester United have got shareholders and should have a longer-term, more clinical view of what the strategy is, rather than, ‘Oh, Ole has done great…’

“He has done great. He’s picked them off the floor. They were so miserable and when he came in they were happy and they started playing better, but the air has started coming out of the balloon and that’s the concern.”

Disclaimer- I don't agree with it all.

Unread 03-04-2019, 04:49 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I still don't understand why they give it to him now instead of waiting till the end of the season
For once, you have a point. There was always a good chance our form would dip subsequently if we announced it during the season.

Unread 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Whalefish

Is form dipping because of Ole or because the squad actually isn't that good? I don't think any manager can get much more out of a lot of these players tbh. Too many 1 in 3's, Pogba will turn it on when he fancies, lacking enough match winners and a defence that arguably hasn't been up to much for several years now and - Linders / Shaw aside - they're made of players who aren't really going to get any better/error/injury prone.

They need moving on but mediocrity has been rewarded so it's going to be really difficult to do so. Ed et al are content with a Top 4 finish but the fact that clubs around United have all strengthened over the past few years means that gap has closed. Wolves winning last night was a shock to some, £#%&! knows why.

Shit recruitment since Fergie hasn't helped either.

Ole's got a huge task IMO and tbh unless the ins and outs are managed well, unless there's a good structure in place around him, I don't think it'll last and that'll be a shame.

Unread 03-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Is form dipping because of Ole or because the squad actually isn't that good? I don't think any manager can get much more out of a lot of these players tbh. Too many 1 in 3's, Pogba will turn it on when he fancies, lacking enough match winners and a defence that arguably hasn't been up to much for several years now and - Linders / Shaw aside - they're made of players who aren't really going to get any better/error/injury prone.

They need moving on but mediocrity has been rewarded so it's going to be really difficult to do so. Ed et al are content with a Top 4 finish but the fact that clubs around United have all strengthened over the past few years means that gap has closed. Wolves winning last night was a shock to some, £#%&! knows why.

Shit recruitment since Fergie hasn't helped either.

Ole's got a huge task IMO and tbh unless the ins and outs are managed well, unless there's a good structure in place around him, I don't think it'll last and that'll be a shame.
He'll be gone by january next season. not because he's a terrible manager, but because we won't sign anywhere near the players required. We'll still be watching Ashley Young at right back and those two %@#$&!s jones and smalling doing the same shit again come august.

It took longer than expected but all the people warning and protesting against the glazers 14 years ago were absolutely right, they've £#%&!ing destroyed us.

4 out of the last 6 seasons Manchester United have finished outside the top four. We're average now. The glory years are well and truly gone.

Unread 03-04-2019, 06:58 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It took longer than expected but all the people warning and protesting against the glazers 14 years ago were absolutely right, they've £#%&!ing destroyed us.
[zorg]no shit.[/zorg]
Closed Thread