United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-10-2021, 10:33 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Sancho was a must buy. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Same if we buy Haaland next summer despite having Ronaldo.

You can’t succeed without options and variety, particularly in attack, and Sancho is nothing like any of our other forwards, don’t let his slow start fool you.
I think Sancho is a talent, but more or less everyone on here said we needed a right winger, well, where does Ole play him?

A centre mid over Sancho should have been the priority.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I like Sancho.

Unread 03-10-2021, 10:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I think Sancho is a talent, but more or less everyone on here said we needed a right winger, well, where does Ole play him?

In the gap on the left vacated by the first choice player for that position, who is injured.

Sancho needed buying. We played half of last season with Dan James/Pogba playing on the wing with £#%&! all on the bench to change it with. We drew 0-0 7 times. We were crying out for something different in attack. When he settles we’ll see the difference.

We’re screaming for midfielders and have been for ages, it shouldn’t be a one or the other situation.

Unread 03-10-2021, 10:43 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Yeah, just a bit. Now we'll have Greenwood and Sancho competing for one position, which is £#%&!ing ridiculous when you consider Amad should be getting game time as well.

Meanwhile our only CDM is 33 and Ole is playing 2 players not suited to the position to cover what should be one position. Genius.

Unread 03-10-2021, 10:44 PM
Stickman

Quote:
In the gap on the left vacated by the first choice player for that position, who is injured.

Sancho needed buying. We played half of last season with Dan James/Pogba playing on the wing with £#%&! all on the bench to change it with. We drew 0-0 7 times. We were crying out for something different in attack. When he settles we’ll see the difference.

We’re screaming for midfielders and have been for ages, it shouldn’t be a one or the other situation.
We know it shouldn’t be, but if we’re operating under constraints from above, I think prioritisation becomes even more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Yeah, just a bit. Now we'll have Greenwood and Sancho competing for one position, which is £#%&!ing ridiculous when you consider Amad should be getting game time as well.

Meanwhile our only CDM is 33 and Ole is playing 2 players not suited to the position to cover what should be one position. Genius.
Not to mention Pogba gets starts on the left wing too (over actual wingers) which is going to muddy the waters when we’ve got Rashford to come back and the manager is obviously still keen on Martial.

Unread 03-10-2021, 10:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

And in the EL final there wasn't a single attacking option on the bench, not one.

We needed Sancho.

We also need midfielders.

Unread 03-10-2021, 10:50 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

You could buy 100 central midfielders but i'm starting to wonder what the point is if the people coaching them don't actually know what they're doing?

That starting 11 we put out on Saturday should have been more than capable of beating Everton, considering they were missing their two best players. The reason we failed to beat them was because we are so chronically dysfunctional as a team that we can't do the basics.

The Scottish Player and Fred are horribly limited but there's no reason our management team shouldn't be able to coach them to a level that we aren't horribly exposed at home to teams like Aston Villa and Everton. If they get shown up against the likes of City and Liverpool then so be it, you'd probably expect that with their limited ability. But they're coming up against run of the mill premier league midfields and the pair of them look like they've never met, let alone been playing as a regular partnership for two years.

Unread 03-10-2021, 10:50 PM
dunk

Quote:
We know it shouldn’t be, but if we’re operating under constraints from above, I think prioritisation becomes even more important.

Not to mention Pogba gets starts on the left wing too (over actual wingers) which is going to muddy the waters when we’ve got Rashford to come back and the manager is obviously still keen on Martial.
Pogba shouldn't be starting anywhere, and won't be in about 7 months. Earlier hopefully.

Sancho was available, none of the midfielders they want to spend money on were.

Personally I find it hard to believe they couldn't find any one to improve the current collection outside of the East End of London, but then the squad is full and the wage bill is above the level they want it at, so they couldn't have done anything without binning someone off anyway, and they can't get shut of anyone.

Next summer, no Mata, Pogba £#%&!ed off, maybe a sale or 3 and we might actually see some movement on midfield. Be nice if it was January.

Unread 03-10-2021, 11:04 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You could buy 100 central midfielders but i'm starting to wonder what the point is if the people coaching them don't actually know what they're doing?

That starting 11 we put out on Saturday should have been more than capable of beating Everton, considering they were missing their two best players. The reason we failed to beat them was because we are so chronically dysfunctional as a team that we can't do the basics.

The Scottish Player and Fred are horribly limited but there's no reason our management team shouldn't be able to coach them to a level that we aren't horribly exposed at home to teams like Aston Villa and Everton. If they get shown up against the likes of City and Liverpool then so be it, you'd probably expect that with their limited ability. But they're coming up against run of the mill premier league midfields and the pair of them look like they've never met, let alone been playing as a regular partnership for two years.
All of this.

Unread 03-10-2021, 11:08 PM
dunk

Tbf they’ve both played at much higher levels for United under the current coaching regime, it’s just that both are horribly out of form at the same time at present and making ridiculous errors in Fred’s case.

Is got to give Beek a run. Even if it’s just to prove he can’t do it.

Unread 03-10-2021, 11:11 PM
20LEgend1999

Weird reading back the start of the thread and seeing/remembering they were quite highly regarded at the time. They played together a lot after our terrible start last season, and we did improve with those two as a partnership.

They were Ole's "solution" to the problems we were having at the start of last season, and they served a purpose for a while. It now feels like they're (part of) the problem, and I hope he can find a solution.

Unread 03-10-2021, 11:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Tbf they’ve both played at much higher levels for United under the current coaching regime, it’s just that both are horribly out of form at the same time at present and making ridiculous errors in Fred’s case.

Is got to give Beek a run. Even if it’s just to prove he can’t do it.
I think form may play a part. But i think the overall problem, the reason why we've been having these type of results and performances so often in the last 3 years..and the reason we're still being blighted by them is because the management team aren't up to it.

Unread 03-10-2021, 11:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Weird reading back the start of the thread and seeing/remembering they were quite highly regarded at the time. They played together a lot after our terrible start last season, and we did improve with those two as a partnership.

They were Ole's "solution" to the problems we were having at the start of last season, and they served a purpose for a while. It now feels like they're (part of) the problem, and I hope he can find a solution.
Hero to villain. Standard.

I think both will improve as the season goes on, but Beek, Pogba and Matic need to be keeping them out of the team, one can’t, one won’t and one might occasionally

Unread 03-10-2021, 11:17 PM
Stickman

Quote:

Don't disagree with any of that.

Unread 03-10-2021, 11:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
I think form may play a part. But i think the overall problem, the reason why we've been having these type of results and performances so often in the last 3 years..and the reason we're still being blighted by them is because the management team aren't up to it.
I think it’s still that we’re in the building phase of the team tbh, it’s just that expectations have prematurely shot up due to Ronaldo arriving. You know when your team is getting close to being good enough, you can sense it from them. This one has improved a lot, but it’s not there yet, I’m wanting them to be getting to the end of this season starting to really look the part, just tweaks and upgrades required, if not it’s time to rethink.

Unread 04-10-2021, 04:22 AM
believe

Quote:
I think it’s still that we’re in the building phase of the team tbh, it’s just that expectations have prematurely shot up due to Ronaldo arriving. You know when your team is getting close to being good enough, you can sense it from them. This one has improved a lot, but it’s not there yet, I’m wanting them to be getting to the end of this season starting to really look the part, just tweaks and upgrades required, if not it’s time to rethink.
You said we needed five midfielders yesterday

Unread 04-10-2021, 07:58 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Unread 04-10-2021, 08:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
We do. Hence replacements and tweaks.

Unread 04-10-2021, 09:12 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

This.

The chatter has been around resting Ronaldo. This completely misses the point. We were winning when he came on and drawing by the end. He was there against Villa and was stood watching as Newcastle and Everton scored almost identical horrendous goals.

Varane was supposed to improve the defence. He looks good, the defence doesn’t. Ronaldo was supposed to improve the attack, he looks good, but we don’t attack with any more cohesion. Even De Gea has found form, but we’re not conceding any fewer because of it.

These are coaching problems.

The midfield is a problem, ofcourse, but there’s no excuse for the goals we concede. Fergie used to do a job with the likes of Darron Gibson in there. I’ve never seen a United side this easy to play against and we’ve had average players in the past. McFred are limited, but they work hard and should he able to do competent job against average teams.

We’re getting done by the likes of £#%&!ing Tom Davies, Stuart Armstrong and Andros Townsend ffs.

I have no confidence anymore that Ole knows how to solve this. I think we’ll go week to week and our results will be determined by moments, little spells in games and our rollercoaster confidence. I have no confidence that, in ten games time, we’ll see a more organised, cohesive team.

Unread 04-10-2021, 10:35 AM
marlo

a decent manager could make a functional midfield from our squad.

liverpools midfield is functional. not great. just functional. between Fred, mctoninay , vdb, matic and pogba we could have a better midfield if we set up them in the right way.

the midfields that outplay us week in and week out are not better than us, they just know what they are doing and have a manager on the touchline to bark out any instructions that are needed.

we have Carrick, ole and that other gormless #@&%! discussing absolute rubbish on in the dugout.

we aren't a midfielder or two away from challenging we are a good manager away.

pep would win us the league, give city squad to ole and you'd see exactly what you see with us.
all this defensive midfielder needed, city play with just Rodri who is average. he doesn't even start for a very week Spain team. so its the way we are setup, the way we press(or don't press) not necessarily Fred and The Scottish Players fault.

Unread 04-10-2021, 10:48 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Already posted in here in May.

Quote:
"As long as those two are playing centre midfield for Manchester United they will not win major trophies"
NFT.

Closed Thread