United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-11-2020, 10:28 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love

Scored by accident?
was deflected onto his head. tbf, he adjusted well. not having "good movement", though.

incidentally, 10 years ago today, berba scored 5 against blackburn. one was a sweeping end-to-end move in which he was involved several times. don't watch any of it, it will make you cry, given the shit we are getting served up currently.

Unread 29-11-2020, 11:21 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
was deflected onto his head. tbf, he adjusted well. not having "good movement", though.

incidentally, 10 years ago today, berba scored 5 against blackburn. one was a sweeping end-to-end move in which he was involved several times. don't watch any of it, it will make you cry, given the shit we are getting served up currently.
Was that when we scored 7 or something? Good day and night in the boozer that.

Unread 29-11-2020, 11:40 PM
jem

Quote:
six or seven.

Unread 29-11-2020, 11:42 PM
Mr_Ed

He oozes quality with his runs and hold up play. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood should be made to watch videos of him on repeat.

I wish he was 26, sigh

Unread 29-11-2020, 11:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
He oozes quality with his runs and hold up play. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood should be made to watch videos of him on repeat.

I wish he was 26, sigh
I wish mata were taller and faster, too.

Unread 30-11-2020, 12:17 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Beat them 7-1, despite that Fergal was apparently impressed with one of their players

Unread 30-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
this.

under the circumstances, would rather have him than not have him. but would rather not use him.

turned in to* a right contrary bastard you have jem

*always have been

Unread 30-11-2020, 11:04 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Have you ever actually kicked a football?

Unread 30-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

i'll never forget rooney's overhead kick against city when it was deflected on to, then subsequently off, his foot. some luck that

Unread 30-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

i'll never forget rooney's overhead kick against city when it was deflected on to, then subsequently off, his foot. some luck that
Shin tbf...

Unread 30-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Wtf? It was one of the best opportunistic/quick thinking goals I’ve seen in a long time.

Firstly he attacked the space when everyone else was static and then he managed in a split second to adjust his body to connect with a deflected ball.

Incredible speed of thought and agility.

Unread 30-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Dr Stranger

For the first, he moves into the space. There’s a pack of Southampton players and he moves away from them, in front of the keeper, so he’s there to head it in. He’s lucky it broke to him, but that’s exactly what that movement is for. Anticipating what could happen. If he stands still, which every other player than him does, then he doesn’t score.

The second, he moves near post, again, towards the space. Ole pointed it out post-match, he always looking to get between the posts.

Two great examples of his movement and quality, but Jem has made his bed and will perform any kind of mental gymnastics to deny any quality. Just like Matic is never EVER capable of a bad moment and merely pointing one out makes you an idiot.

Unread 30-11-2020, 12:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

yes. have you got an argument or are you just going for a totally misdirected ad hominem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Wtf? It was one of the best opportunistic/quick thinking goals I’ve seen in a long time.

Firstly he attacked the space when everyone else was static and then he managed in a split second to adjust his body to connect with a deflected ball.

Incredible speed of thought and agility.
I agree. it's what I said. however, it doesn't change the fact that he scored from a deflected shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
For the first, he moves into the space. There’s a pack of Southampton players and he moves away from them, in front of the keeper, so he’s there to head it in. He’s lucky it broke to him, but that’s exactly what that movement is for. Anticipating what could happen. If he stands still, which every other player than him does, then he doesn’t score.

The second, he moves near post, again, towards the space. Ole pointed it out post-match, he always looking to get between the posts.

Two great examples of his movement and quality, but Jem has made his bed and will perform any kind of mental gymnastics to deny any quality. Just like Matic is never EVER capable of a bad moment and merely pointing one out makes you an idiot.
the first bold part is what I said. the second, just nonsense. I acknowledged his clever movement (and that's without watching motd), his adjustment for the first and his sweet finish for the second. also, his cross for bruno's goal - looking up and passing to the player.

his limitations and lack of mobility are largely an issue because of the way our team is built. I don't think he is the most reliable finisher, actually, but it is more the point that we don't supply the kind of opportunities that will suit him. rashford's pass for the second was exquisite. his inability to knock the ball ten yards to his right for an open goal not so much. but I mainly object to cavani as a plaster when we needed a young centre forward. as it happens, in the game, we were dominant on chances in the first half, too. greenwood usually tucks away the one he blasted at the keeper.

as for matic, I am well aware that he has limitations and makes mistakes. again, though, he should not be playing defensive midfield on his own - he needs someone with legs around him (like mctog). and the people who criticise him just pipe up every time he does something wrong and never appreciate his role or his contribution. anyone who think he is shit is an idiot. clearly he is old and can't be used constantly. same with cavani, you'll find.

Unread 30-11-2020, 12:33 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yes. have you got an argument or are you just going for a totally misdirected ad hominem?

I agree. it's what I said. however, it doesn't change the fact that he scored from a deflected shot.

the first bold part is what I said. the second, just nonsense. I acknowledged his clever movement (and that's without watching motd), his adjustment for the first and his sweet finish for the second. also, his cross for bruno's goal - looking up and passing to the player.

his limitations and lack of mobility are largely an issue because of the way our team is built. I don't think he is the most reliable finisher, actually, but it is more the point that we don't supply the kind of opportunities that will suit him. rashford's pass for the second was exquisite. his inability to knock the ball ten yards to his right for an open goal not so much. but I mainly object to cavani as a plaster when we needed a young centre forward. as it happens, in the game, we were dominant on chances in the first half, too. greenwood usually tucks away the one he blasted at the keeper.

as for matic, I am well aware that he has limitations and makes mistakes. again, though, he should not be playing defensive midfield on his own - he needs someone with legs around him (like mctog). and the people who criticise him just pipe up every time he does something wrong and never appreciate his role or his contribution. anyone who think he is shit is an idiot. clearly he is old and can't be used constantly. same with cavani, you'll find.
So while admitting the movement is good in two instances, you say he’s immobile in the next.

What are you basing this on?

He’s constantly on the move. He was popping up on the right for the Bruno goal. He was quick in mind and body for both goals... you seem to be underlining your own perceived limitations of him, despite early evidence to the contrary and the fact he’s been doing this his whole career.

He isn’t a young striker, but he hasn’t been signed at the expense of one. He’s short term option that doesn’t impinge on us buying a younger model. It’s not like we turned down haaland or the like to get him here.

As for Matic. I don’t think he’s shit. I think he’s a very good player and we don’t have anyone else like him. At his best, he’s our best option in there. On the other hand, if he plays badly or has moments of poor quality, you get upset when people point it out.

There was a moment second half where he miscontrolled a pass on the left side of the box and the ball ran out of play. It was poor. Me and a few others said “ffs Matic”. You replied with “the usual idiots are slating Matic”. You defend him regardless of what actually happens. I suspect you’ll do the opposite with Cavani.

Unread 30-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
No, you said it was "deflected on to his head" clearly insinuating he was just stood there and the ball fortuitously ricocheted off his bonce

Unread 30-11-2020, 12:44 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
So while admitting the movement is good in two instances, you say he’s immobile in the next.

What are you basing this on?

He’s constantly on the move. He was popping up on the right for the Bruno goal. He was quick in mind and body for both goals... you seem to be underlining your own perceived limitations of him, despite early evidence to the contrary and the fact he’s been doing this his whole career.

He isn’t a young striker, but he hasn’t been signed at the expense of one. He’s short term option that doesn’t impinge on us buying a younger model. It’s not like we turned down haaland or the like to get him here.

As for Matic. I don’t think he’s shit. I think he’s a very good player and we don’t have anyone else like him. At his best, he’s our best option in there. On the other hand, if he plays badly or has moments of poor quality, you get upset when people point it out.

There was a moment second half where he miscontrolled a pass on the left side of the box and the ball ran out of play. It was poor. Me and a few others said “ffs Matic”. You replied with “the usual idiots are slating Matic”. You defend him regardless of what actually happens. I suspect you’ll do the opposite with Cavani.
I didn't defend matic; I merely commented that the people who ignore anything he does well piped up when he did something shit. cavani played a couple of atrocious passes - to the opposition - just before that (and there was an instance of lukaku-esque control, too). do we focus on those?

when I speak of mobility, I do not mean fox-in-the-box movement. I mean being able to get around quickly. all of our forwards move fast and cover ground quickly. we are a counter-attacking team. cavani is a piece from a different jigsaw. which would be fine if we had flying wingers who can cross. but we don't. maybe he will provide some focus for the attack... he does provide something different.

but, yes... it is more that we didn't get haaland and he was all we got, well past his best. although greenwood was taken off for him, so his appearance was at the expense of one of our young players (the best finisher at the club).

that said, I have never been particularly impressed with cavani. I did enjoy his two goals. I did not enjoy the one he stole from rashers and put over the bar or the header from wan b's cross (although I am more inclined to be generous about that one, despite knowing I would have done better).

Quote:
No, you said it was "deflected on to his head" clearly insinuating he was just stood there and the ball fortuitously ricocheted off his bonce
I did not insinuate it fortuitously ricocheted off his bonce, I said he adjusted well to put it in. the luck was in the deflection.

I think I said one of the goals was "by accident", though. :0)

Unread 30-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I didn't defend matic; I merely commented that the people who ignore anything he does well piped up when he did something shit. cavani played a couple of atrocious passes - to the opposition - just before that (and there was an instance of lukaku-esque control, too). do we focus on those?

when I speak of mobility, I do not mean fox-in-the-box movement. I mean being able to get around quickly. all of our forwards move fast and cover ground quickly. we are a counter-attacking team. cavani is a piece from a different jigsaw. which would be fine if we had flying wingers who can cross. but we don't. maybe he will provide some focus for the attack... he does provide something different.

but, yes... it is more that we didn't get haaland and he was all we got, well past his best. although greenwood was taken off for him, so his appearance was at the expense of one of our young players (the best finisher at the club).

that said, I have never been particularly impressed with cavani. I did enjoy his two goals. I did not enjoy the one he stole from rashers and put over the bar or the header from wan b's cross (although I am more inclined to be generous about that one, despite knowing I would have done better).

are you for real

how dare he not convert that cross that was way too high and that he didn't incredibly well to even reach let alone get anywhere near the target

Unread 30-11-2020, 01:04 PM
jem

Quote:
are you for real

how dare he not convert that cross that was way too high and that he didn't incredibly well to even reach let alone get anywhere near the target
yes, that's what I said: "how dare he?"

I definitely did not say "I'm more inclined to be generous about that one".

Unread 30-11-2020, 01:08 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yes, that's what I said: "how dare he?"

I definitely did not say "I'm more inclined to be generous about that one".
Oh god. Have we got another one you’re never going to be wrong about?

Unread 30-11-2020, 01:14 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Oh god. Have we got another one you’re never going to be wrong about?

whether cavani is any good is a matter of opinion. feel free to offer an opinion.

whether I said he should not be forgiven for missing a difficult chance is a matter of fact.
Closed Thread