United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 21-03-2020, 05:42 PM
thatsfuctit

Default The treble video

David Elleray loomed large

Unread 21-03-2020, 11:45 PM
armchair

If I'm going to die drowning in my own phlem, I'll be watching this as I die.

Unread 22-03-2020, 12:14 AM
dunk

What a £#%&!ing team

Carried an utterly calamitous keeper most of the season too. Imagine them with peak Schmeichel, VdS or DdG? Unbeaten

Unread 22-03-2020, 05:43 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
What a £#%&!ing team

Carried an utterly calamitous keeper most of the season too. Imagine them with peak Schmeichel, VdS or DdG? Unbeaten
What

Unread 22-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Pop

Quote:
What a £#%&!ing team

Unread 22-03-2020, 11:15 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
What a f***ing team

He cost us a few games. Bayern away, was wooden in the CL final for their free kick. He also kept the Treble alive with the penalty save at Villa park.

Imo he’s the 3rd best keeper we’ve had. He was a great shot stopper and would probably struggle with playing from the back nowadays.

Unread 22-03-2020, 11:21 AM
dragflick

Quote:
What a £#%&!ing team

Unread 22-03-2020, 11:21 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
He cost us a few games. Bayern away, was wooden in the CL final for their free kick. He also kept the Treble alive with the penalty save at Villa park.

Imo he’s the 3rd best keeper we’ve had. He was a great shot stopper and would probably struggle with playing from the back nowadays.
He had a slight stutter prior to his winter break but he was sensational the second half of the season when he came back, in particular the two legs against Inter.

Are you saying he’s third behind VDS and De Gea?

Unread 22-03-2020, 11:28 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
He had a slight stutter prior to his winter break but he was sensational the second half of the season when he came back, in particular the two legs against Inter.

Are you saying he’s third behind VDS and De Gea?
In my opinion as an overall keeper, yes.

I wouldn’t have liked to see him have the ball played back to him in the game today.

Unread 22-03-2020, 05:37 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
In my opinion as an overall keeper, yes.

I wouldn’t have liked to see him have the ball played back to him in the game today.
He would probably have adapted to that if he was around now, though?

An absolutely terrific keeper, his being a bit of a dick more generally doesn't alter that.

Unread 22-03-2020, 08:03 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
He would probably have adapted to that if he was around now, though?

An absolutely terrific keeper, his being a bit of a dick more generally doesn't alter that.
You’d like to think so. I never waste my time comparing the likes of Best and Maradona to Messi and Ronaldo because the game is always changing.

At the time, his physical presence was a huge positive in him being the best or one of the best at the time. There’s a lot of challenges in that video that would be stonewall fouls.. not to mention that Ruddock handball being a pen.

It was a ridiculous season. We had a new defence and it seemed to take the opposition to score in some games to wake us up.

Unread 22-03-2020, 08:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
What
Watch the video, Schmeichel had a £#%&!ing mare first half of that season. Was miles better second half of the season.

Unread 22-03-2020, 08:35 PM
My Name is Heath

'hate being married to Kelly Brook - she makes a terrible spaghetti bolognaise'

Schmeichel was immense.

Unread 22-03-2020, 08:38 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
'hate being married to Kelly Brook - she makes a terrible spaghetti bolognaise'

Schmeichel was immense.
I was merely pointing out just how close that team was to perfection is all.. loved big Pete.

Unread 22-03-2020, 09:07 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Imo he’s the 3rd best keeper we’ve had.

He's probably in the top 3 goalkeepers that have ever worn gloves, and the other 2 certainly didn't play for United.

Schmeichel is easily the best we've ever had, despite the fact he was a @#%&! of a bloke. A relentless winner; perfect for a Fergie side.

Unread 22-03-2020, 10:23 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

He's probably in the top 3 goalkeepers that have ever worn gloves, and the other 2 certainly didn't play for United.

Schmeichel is easily the best we've ever had, despite the fact he was a @#%&! of a bloke. A relentless winner; perfect for a Fergie side.
I hope you mean Keeper. Arguable but no question one of the greatest. We’ve been blessed.

VDS was more agile not to mention Moscow. If he replaced Schmeichel, he’d easily be held in the same/better esteem.

Unread 22-03-2020, 10:25 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
I hope you mean Keeper. Arguable but no question one of the greatest. We’ve been blessed.

VDS was more agile not to mention Moscow. If he replaced Schmeichel, he’d easily be held in the same/better esteem.

Unread 22-03-2020, 10:26 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd

Unread 22-03-2020, 10:35 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
?

Unread 22-03-2020, 10:43 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
?
I doubt he was suggesting he was the best centre forward or left winger we’ve ever had.