United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:09 AM
carlitos99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
i don't believe that for a minute. he was an absolute steal in the end. £25m plus add ons? he wanted to go to madrid. end of. in fact he'd have probably chosen barca over us as well seeing as they supposedly bid for him as well.
exactly don't think it was really about the fee just that he turned us down to go to madrid, to mention the fee as the problem saves a bit of face.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Alan

What a load of %@#$&!s.

United didn't bid for him because uncle malc has pocketed the ronaldo cash.

Unread 14-07-2009, 06:41 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos99
exactly don't think it was really about the fee just that he turned us down to go to madrid, to mention the fee as the problem saves a bit of face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
What a load of %@#$&!s.

United didn't bid for him because uncle malc has pocketed the ronaldo cash.
well, you can choose to believe fergie or not. but the alternatives are based on nothing more than your own imagination. you're just imparting motives to actors on the basis of your own prejudices and then rejecting anything you see or hear which does not fit those motives, irrespective of other evidence. tell me, do you believe the moon landings were a hoax, by any chance?

lyon confirmed only one bid - from real. according to the papers benzema said he turned united down but all he actually said was there was contact - which ferguson also says was the case. there's not a scrap of evidence to suggest that what ferguson is saying is not how it was.

not sure what the point of inventing alternative realities is when the one in front of your nose fits the observable facts perfectly well.

and you really need to change your username, carlitos.

Unread 14-07-2009, 06:50 AM
skcollob

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

and you really need to change your username, carlitos.

@#%&!litos more like it

Unread 14-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Firswood Red

Don't think an overvaluation of a player stopped Fergie signing Berba, Rio or Veron

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
i don't believe that for a minute. he was an absolute steal in the end. £25m plus add ons? he wanted to go to madrid. end of. in fact he'd have probably chosen barca over us as well seeing as they supposedly bid for him as well.
€42m = £36m.

Name another 21 year in world football that has gone for that money?

I happen to think that was his true value in todays market, especially from Lyon who always get the absolute maximum for their players. He's a superb player, and will only get better, whether that will happen at Madrid, who knows. He might stall & they might get the hump, Higuain might continue the form he showed last year & get ahead of him. Who knows, either way, United decided that was too steep, even after the Ronnie cash... I'm not sure how you can talk about "value" when you could conceivably pocket £45m & gain Karim Benzema in the process.

Should Fergie have done the best business he possibly could have based on previous signings...

i.e.

Start with £80m

£35m for Benzema

Then out of the £45m left - he's previously spent that on the following....

£7m for Vidic
£5.5m for Evra
£25m for Rooney
£2m for VDS
£4.5m on Park

Obviously we could have said 2 x £17m (max as per add-ons etc) for Anderson & Nani but we'll be kind. He did have 2 years to scout the players.

Fergie knew, he absolutely positively & without fail has said he was prepared for Ronaldo's exit for the last 2 years.

2 years.

They would have known a fee in excess of the World Record was on it's way. They knew the value of him as a player, and United knew his value as a marketing tool. Even now - when they knew he was going - they have a homage to him as the "best player in the world" ffs. Some planning that is.

The squad is in essence the same as the one that has won the league the last three seasons & reached a CL semi & 2 finals. Not to mentioned the other tin pots. So it is, as a whole, seriously £#%&!ing solid.

With £80m in your pocket, plus whatever we were prepared to pay for Tevez... I find it disturbing that - should Fergie be serious - we have only invested in the three unveiled yesterday.

In all honesty, I'm staggered he's not found it a priority to get some creativity & goals into the midfield. I'll happily agree that - even though I can't stand the little @#%&! - Owen will score as many as Tevez did. He did it at Newcastle the last two seasons so he should theoretically do it here. So that leaves even more money open to address that scenario.... value or not, the squad is missing goals. That should be addressed imo, and I really hope it is in the next 6 weeks of the transfer window.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:21 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
Don't think an overvaluation of a player stopped Fergie signing Berba, Rio or Veron
'value for money' by saf.

suprised he could say that with a straight face.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:24 PM
berba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
The difference being, ferguson had decided to build the team around them and the players wanted to come here desperately unlike a certain Mr.@#%&! Karim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
In all honesty, I'm staggered he's not found it a priority to get some creativity & goals into the midfield. I'll happily agree that - even though I can't stand the little @#%&! - Owen will score as many as Tevez did. He did it at Newcastle the last two seasons so he should theoretically do it here. So that leaves even more money open to address that scenario.... value or not, the squad is missing goals. That should be addressed imo, and I really hope it is in the next 6 weeks of the transfer window.
I only hope that he thinks hargreaves is coming back fit and firing and anderson will improve. After all every £#%&!ing pundit/coach was saying he is going to be the best attacking midfielder in a couple of years.

And that he thinks one of the trio of youngsters in james/cleverley/drinkwater can step up and do the job.

Note that all 3 he has named have been those who have done the job well in midfield but when necessary have come up with the goals. james with a few scorchers and some mouth watering link up play with macheda.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:26 PM
marlo

i dont see whay we didnt pay the extra money for benzema.

we got over the odds for ronaldo why not spend over the odds on a replacement.

forget the 80m from ronaldo, what about some actual investment in the club. the way madrid have, they way some clubs have. some actually + net spend.

at the moment that 80m was dissapeared and will NOT be seen again.

if it was rolled over, will our newly prudent manager actal spend the money?
can you see us spending 25 + the rollover 80. thats 105m plus any player proceeds.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by berba
The difference being, ferguson had decided to build the team around them and the players wanted to come here desperately unlike a certain Mr.@#%&! Karim.

I only hope that he thinks hargreaves is coming back fit and firing and anderson will improve. After all every £#%&!ing pundit/coach was saying he is going to be the best attacking midfielder in a couple of years.

And that he thinks one of the trio of youngsters in james/cleverley/drinkwater can step up and do the job.

Note that all 3 he has named have been those who have done the job well in midfield but when necessary have come up with the goals. james with a few scorchers and some mouth watering link up play with macheda.
Are you sure Veron was desperate to come here?

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:28 PM
berba

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

we got over the odds for ronaldo why not spend over the odds on a replacement.

forget the 80m from ronaldo, what about some actual investment in the club. the way madrid have, they way some clubs have. some actually + net spend.

at the moment that 80m was dissapeared and will NOT be seen again.

if it was rolled over, will our newly prudent manager actal spend the money?
can you see us spending 25 + the rollover 80. thats 105m plus any player proceeds.
you are not a financially sound guy are you?

make a unexpected profit of 100million and then £#%&! it way by paying over the odds on another investment.

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:31 PM
marlo

Quote:
you are not a financially sound guy are you?

make a unexpected profit of 100million and then £#%&! it way by paying over the odds on another investment.
depends on the csf's.

do you know what the the biggest csf is for a football club?

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:36 PM
berba

Quote:
depends on the csf's.

do you know what the the biggest csf is for a football club?
nope. depends on which way you are going to achieve. best leave it on the experts no?

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:41 PM
marlo

Quote:
nope. depends on which way you are going to achieve. best leave it on the experts no?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_success_factor

Unread 14-07-2009, 12:55 PM
dunk

Quote:
We could've bid £60m for Benzema, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference, the lad didn't want to come here. As soon as Madrid bid he was going there and Lyon knew it.

We would have looked as pathetic as City.

I don't see what's so hard to grasp about the situation tbh.

Unread 14-07-2009, 01:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We could've bid £60m for Benzema, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference, the lad didn't want to come here. As soon as Madrid bid he was going there and Lyon knew it.

We would have looked as pathetic as City.

I don't see what's so hard to grasp about the situation tbh.
I think you're right. I suspect the main reason United didn't bid seriously for Benzema was because they knew they didn't have much of a chance of getting him. I'd be very surprised if Fergie was happy to pay £30m for Berbatov last year only to then feel that £36m for Benzema did not represent value for money. We enquired and no doubt we were serious about getting him, but it was probably always on the basis that Madrid looked elsewhere. Once they made a firm offer that was it for us. If Fergie genuinely believed the player would have chosen United, I think we'd have met the valuation.

Unread 14-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
an accountant using wikipedia to show his knowledge off

nice one

you're not an accountant in a million years marlo because you'd realise that because you make £80m for a player doesn't mean you can or indeed want to go and spend £80m on other player(s) when you're in the situation that united are in.

last time we £#%&!ed over the odds on a player who was one of the top 3 in the world (veron) it failed hugely.

sick of #@&%!ed JCL's moaning because we've not bought johnny superstar foreigner. it's so unbelievably short sighted.

but i forget you all know better than fergie

Unread 14-07-2009, 01:02 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
an accountant using wikipedia to show his knowledge off

nice one

you're not an accountant in a million years marlo because you'd realise that because you make £80m for a player doesn't mean you can or indeed want to go and spend £80m on other player(s) when you're in the situation that united are in.

last time we £#%&!ed over the odds on a player who was one of the top 3 in the world (veron) it failed hugely.

sick of #@&%!ed JCL's moaning because we've not bought johnny superstar foreigner. it's so unbelievably short sighted.

but i forget you all know better than fergie
thanks.

Unread 14-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
thanks.
my pleasure.

at the very least i'd never hire you because you never look at the bigger picture

Unread 14-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
my pleasure.

at the very least i'd never hire you because you never look at the bigger picture
would that be the bigger pictures of the festivals in vibrant london ?
Closed Thread