United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-02-2019, 02:20 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
so you think martial signing for someone who compares him to ronaldo when he wouldn't sign for someone who dropped him and constantly looked for replacements is a coincidence?
Yeah

Unread 03-02-2019, 03:02 AM
guerreiro

The real test is not against strong teams it’s when one of the players acts up and becomes a @#%&!; will Ole be able to knock them down a peg or two?

Unread 03-02-2019, 03:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was told by Molde owners: ‘Enjoy yourself at Man Utd, and don’t come back.’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...dont-come/amp/

Quote:
United are continuing to go through a thorough process as they seek a long-term replacement for the sacked Jose Mourinho, but their former striker has made a strong case for extending his stay beyond the end of this season.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino remains among the other candidates being considered for the post, along with former Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane and Atletico Madrid’s Diego Simeone.

Solskjaer, though, is playing a part in laying United’s future foundations, as he is being consulted by the board over signings to be made this summer, with central defensive reinforcements a priority.

Unread 03-02-2019, 04:53 AM
Singy211291

You have to think as a football fan first. If it was another manager at a different team, who produced the results OGS has so far, playing the same fixtures, would you want him permanent or wait until more tests? I.e the run of fixtures we have in feb/March.

Bare in mind now even though we have bounced back somewhat, we have only had two testing games. Spurs and Arsenal (well maybe not so much arsenal haha) but they are the only top 6 we have played since OGS took over.

Let's see how we do against PSG/City/Liverpool/Chelsea, all in the space of 2 months or so. We might not win them all, but if we do bag a couple of victories, or even draws in the away games, we can then see where the team is really at and where OGS has took them, and where he can take them.

It's too soon to jump to decisions just because we are doing better than we have done for a while. It's effing exciting to watch now and OGS has brought back the United way, which is a massive boost.

You've also got to look at the backroom staff that OGS would thrive from himself. Phelan and Carrick would be a tremendous permanent addition as they also know United through and through.

Let's see where we are at come April and then a correct decision could be made.

Unread 03-02-2019, 05:35 PM
red in cumbria

Another win, another step closer......

Unread 03-02-2019, 05:39 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singy211291
You have to think as a football fan first. If it was another manager at a different team, who produced the results OGS has so far, playing the same fixtures, would you want him permanent or wait until more tests? I.e the run of fixtures we have in feb/March.

Bare in mind now even though we have bounced back somewhat, we have only had two testing games. Spurs and Arsenal (well maybe not so much arsenal haha) but they are the only top 6 we have played since OGS took over.

Let's see how we do against PSG/City/Liverpool/Chelsea, all in the space of 2 months or so. We might not win them all, but if we do bag a couple of victories, or even draws in the away games, we can then see where the team is really at and where OGS has took them, and where he can take them.

It's too soon to jump to decisions just because we are doing better than we have done for a while. It's effing exciting to watch now and OGS has brought back the United way, which is a massive boost.

You've also got to look at the backroom staff that OGS would thrive from himself. Phelan and Carrick would be a tremendous permanent addition as they also know United through and through.

Let's see where we are at come April and then a correct decision could be made.
How dare you come on here and talk a load of sense.... yhgr

Unread 03-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Another win, another step closer......
And a different kind of win. Ground out.

Third consecutive away clean sheet too.

Not too shabby.

If you had told people when he took over that we'd win 9 of our first 10 games, including away wins at Spurs and Arsenal, they'd have called you insane.

Unread 03-02-2019, 05:41 PM
ScarFace

Thumbs up

9 wins & a draw...could easily be 10/10.

Unless it goes to Jose levels of shit, he is 100% getting it due to the above & cheapness.

Unread 03-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
And a different kind of win. Ground out.

Third consecutive away clean sheet too.

Not too shabby.

If you had told people when he took over that we'd win 9 of our first 10 games, including away wins at Spurs and Arsenal, they'd have called you insane.
... and getting a draw in the other one in spite of being 0-2 down with 10 minutes left

Unread 03-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
... and getting a draw in the other one in spite of being 0-2 down with 10 minutes left
Yep. We've seen almost every conceivable positive scenario: we've trounced teams. We've weathered storms. We've come back from behind. We've had the lot so far.

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Yep. We've seen almost every conceivable positive scenario: we've trounced teams. We've weathered storms. We've come back from behind. We've had the lot so far.
this. he's passed every test so far and has us playing exciting, attacking football.

not sure what else he could have done so far?

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:03 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
this. he's passed every test so far and has us playing exciting, attacking football.

not sure what else he could have done so far?
Beaten Burnley.

That is literally it.

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:08 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
That would suggest they aren't looking now.

I'm sure they are. The problem is that serious moves for anyone worth getting would need to happen now and i can't see the club pushing that much while we're doing well.

I think Ole will get it because it's the easy option and there are very few else.

Poch and Zidane are the only contenders by all accounts.

Both difficult to get. Both as big a risk as Ole in their own way.

We only sack managers when it turns bad. The fans like Ole. The players like Ole. If we continue like this, NOT giving him the job will be like sacking him.

If he continues anything like what he has, I think it's a no brainer. For all the right and wrong reasons.

He already feels like the manager. We had two long serving players sign and a new deal and leave this week, with nobody questioning why that happened with no permanent manager in charge.

I don't think he was hired with the view of getting it permanently, but they would have a very easy decision on their hands should he do well.
Post.

I posted a couple of games back that I genuinely don't think even the club thought he would be this good. They obviously thought borrow Ole and then get Poch. Would take a brave club to send him packing if he carries on the way he is...

If we beat PSG he will get it.

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Dasilvatwins

If they dont give ole the job now the board will be inviting more pressure on themselves and the new manager.

If the club has a bad start or is absolutely £#%&!ed by next Christmas the narrative will be " why didnt they hire ole?, why change a happy dressing room playing attacking football??"

Unless something disastrous occurs, he has sort of forced their hand.

And solskjaer has won it (the job)

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
If they dont give ole the job now the board will be inviting more pressure on themselves and the new manager.

If the club has a bad start or is absolutely £#%&!ed by next Christmas the narrative will be " why didnt they hire ole?, why change a happy dressing room playing attacking football??"

Unless something disastrous occurs, he has sort of forced their hand.

And solskjaer has won it (the job)
Agreed.

People keep saying we'll learn more about him in the next few weeks. I think the main we'll see is what we already know: the limitations of the squad and that the fixtures are £#%&!ing though.

He's setting us up to do as well as we can with this group and I'm sure he'll continue to do that.

Where that gets us and what constitutes a success over the next few weeks, I haven't a clue.

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Agreed.

People keep saying we'll learn more about him in the next few weeks. I think the main we'll see is what we already know: the limitations of the squad and that the fixtures are £#%&!ing though.

He's setting us up to do as well as we can with this group and I'm sure he'll continue to do that.

Where that gets us and what constitutes a success over the next few weeks, I haven't a clue.
He should get them into the top 4. Thats my minimum expectations this year for him. The problem is he inherited a jose squad . Anything less than full strength and these guys turn to dog turd.

Fred, The Scottish Player, sanchez, dalot will need to step up when they are selected.

The club has one left back, who everyweek makes me less convinced of his abilities. The club has no rb. If ole pulls it off and gets top 4 and has a decent cup run, i would be pissed if pochettino gets it.

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
He should get them into the top 4. Thats my minimum expectations this year for him. The problem is he inherited a jose squad . Anything less than full strength and these guys turn to dog turd.

Fred, The Scottish Player, sanchez, dalot will need to step up when they are selected.

The club has one left back, who everyweek makes me less convinced of his abilities. The club has no rb. If ole pulls it off and gets top 4 and has a decent cup run, i would be pissed if pochettino gets it.
Top four would be enough to give him the job, the problem is, we'll need to have made a decision by then.

Can't be deciding to go for Poch once the season has finished.

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Switching Off

The issue he has is that some of the next few fixtures require a pragmatic approach, and he's come in with the chest thumping we're Man United, we attack style, which has worked so far. I'm not sure he will want to temper that approach v PSG and Liverpool, whereas Fergie would've done, and Mourinho definitely would.
I hope he does, because it'll show some versatility and a willingness to adapt, even if he gets a bit of stick about it in the press afterwards.

Agree now that barring a massive catastrophe this month not giving it to him would invite massive pressure on the next guy and the board. Woodward has kept his head down and isnt getting the stick he was getting 6-8 weeks ago so he'll go for the easy option. Which means Solskjaer is learning on the job and will get it wrong sometimes. But he's got tons of supporter goodwill, and he's got Mickey Shorts and Ant and Dec behind him. Confident that if we accept the odd stinker, he'll do a good job all told.

Unread 03-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
The issue he has is that some of the next few fixtures require a pragmatic approach, and he's come in with the chest thumping we're Man United, we attack style, which has worked so far. I'm not sure he will want to temper that approach v PSG and Liverpool, whereas Fergie would've done, and Mourinho definitely would.
I hope he does, because it'll show some versatility and a willingness to adapt, even if he gets a bit of stick about it in the press afterwards.

Agree now that barring a massive catastrophe this month not giving it to him would invite massive pressure on the next guy and the board. Woodward has kept his head down and isnt getting the stick he was getting 6-8 weeks ago so he'll go for the easy option. Which means Solskjaer is learning on the job and will get it wrong sometimes. But he's got tons of supporter goodwill, and he's got Mickey Shorts and Ant and Dec behind him. Confident that if we accept the odd stinker, he'll do a good job all told.
We didn't do that at Spurs or Arsenal. We were measured and fully aware of who we were playing.

I think Ole has been better tactically than he's been given credit for.

He got it spot on at Spurs, killed the game with good changes at Arsenal and Newcastle.

And we saw the game out fairly well today.

His reign so far has been boiled down by many as simply telling them to go out and play. Like he's some ex player and not an actual football manager with ten years experience.

I think that suits him though and he's happy to have that side of things played down.

Unread 03-02-2019, 07:45 PM
TheFatGoth

Hearing he's gone to France
Closed Thread