United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-07-2021, 08:14 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Bottled a big move like he bottled taking a penalty...

Shows the character of the lad...
Stop this lie.

Southgate planned the takers.

Do you really expect Grealish to contradict his boss in that high pressure situation?

Hey Gareth, put me at 5 instead of Saka will you?

Come on….Grealish is TIGHT.

Unread 13-07-2021, 08:35 PM
andyroo

Ultimately it's the manager hands the list to the referee. Players can't bump themselves up even if they want to.

Sadly there's no evidence that Henderson wanted out (and Southgate certainly wouldn't admit to it - in fact I'd actually think less of Southgate if he did admit it) - but I want to believe he did.

Unread 13-07-2021, 08:38 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Ultimately it's the manager hands the list to the referee. Players can't bump themselves up even if they want to.

Sadly there's no evidence that Henderson wanted out (and Southgate certainly wouldn't admit to it - in fact I'd actually think less of Southgate if he did admit it) - but I want to believe he did.
Henderson was off the pitch be then anyway, so couldn't have taken a pen.

Unread 13-07-2021, 08:52 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Stop this lie.

Southgate planned the takers.

Do you really expect Grealish to contradict his boss in that high pressure situation?

Hey Gareth, put me at 5 instead of Saka will you?

Come on….Grealish is TIGHT.
Southgate SAID he chose. There’s a very good chance he is taking the bullet. How often do you hear bosses say that the players say they wanted to take one. You don’t often hear them say “I decide”. If England had won, I don’t think Southgate would be saying it was all his choice.

I’d be surprised if they’d planned all week and Harry Maguire was one of the five who excelled.

Some will fancy it, some won’t. We may never know who, certainly not after 3 days. and having a go at anyone not wanting to take one is as shit as having a go at someone for missing. None of us will ever know what that pressure is like.

Unread 13-07-2021, 08:55 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Henderson was off the pitch be then anyway, so couldn't have taken a pen.
Theory goes that he asked to be subbed off so he wouldn't be forced to take one

As I say, no evidence but I want to believe

Unread 13-07-2021, 08:56 PM
jem

southgate took the blame for the penalties. as you'd expect - he never hangs his players out to dry jose-style. he should be taking the blame for the draw, though. failing to bolster the midfield or take off his dismally failing favourites up front is what cost us, not any £#%&!ing kids taking penalties or the size of jack the lad's cojones.

Unread 13-07-2021, 08:59 PM
andyroo

Italy were all over yiz, it could be down to Southgate's conservatism it even got as far as penalties.

Unread 13-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Ronny

Quote:
Italy were all over yiz, it could be down to Southgate's conservatism it even got as far as penalties.

True dat..

Unread 13-07-2021, 09:15 PM
armchair

Quote:
Well, he decided his takers based on how many pens out of a hundred they scored in training.

Unread 13-07-2021, 10:02 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Going to sign a new deal with Villa apparently.

City being strung along so a player can secure a better deal, while United get our top target coz we're a proper club
There was to much noise about his city move. He will end up there. Unless city aren't willing to pay the money or have decided to pay a ridiculous fee for Kane.

Unread 13-07-2021, 11:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Southgate SAID he chose. There’s a very good chance he is taking the bullet.
Yes, this is my view and its basically the right thing for a manager to do.

Unread 13-07-2021, 11:26 PM
jem

Quote:
he didn't give england a chance to win. and.... it's easy to say changes could have made things worse, but.... £#%&! off with that shit. if he'd merely been conservative, he would have put on an extra midfielder. but he wasn't merely conservative; he was stupid. stupid, gutless, conservative and wrong.

Unread 13-07-2021, 11:42 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he didn't give england a chance to win. and.... it's easy to say changes could have made things worse, but.... £#%&! off with that shit. if he'd merely been conservative, he would have put on an extra midfielder. but he wasn't merely conservative; he was stupid. stupid, gutless, conservative and wrong.
Would much have preferred to have a go all guns blazing and lost 3-1 in normal time than have lost (or even won) on penalties. Criminal that you don’t have a go against two fantastic but geriatric centre backs with probaby the youngest fastest and most talented forward line in the tournament which somehow stayed on the bench. End of rant.

Unread 13-07-2021, 11:44 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Criminal that you don’t have a go against two fantastic but geriatric centre backs with probaby the youngest fastest and most talented forward line in the tournament which somehow stayed on the bench. End of rant.
This is what angers me.

We should have played to our strengths but instead Southgate set England up like a Poundland Mourinho team.

Unread 13-07-2021, 11:48 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Would much have preferred to have a go all guns blazing and lost 3-1 in normal time than have lost (or even won) on penalties. Criminal that you don’t have a go against two fantastic but geriatric centre backs with probaby the youngest fastest and most talented forward line in the tournament which somehow stayed on the bench. End of rant.
indeed. and it's not even a case of all guns blazing. sterling and saka were doing absolutely £#%&! all, so why not try sancho and rashford? letting knackered zeroes play 120 minutes and bringing the lads on for 2 minutes... at a £#%&!ing corner... subbing off a defender and midfielder and playing rashers at right back, ffs.... what was he thinking?

Unread 13-07-2021, 11:50 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
This is what angers me.

We should have played to our strengths but instead Southgate set England up like a Poundland Mourinho team.
It’s not (or at least shouldn’t be) the United way, which in some small way may explain why ultimately England doesn’t mean that much to most of us.

Unread 17-07-2021, 12:43 PM
dunk

Unread 17-07-2021, 12:44 PM
Sparky***

Waiting for United to come and get him next season

good lad

Unread 17-07-2021, 12:49 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Waiting for United to come and get him next season

good lad