United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Brighton are getting potted, similar score line...
That would indeed be nice, they have been a bit of a bogey side for us since coming up.

Unread 07-11-2019, 11:23 PM
redredemption77

Brighton due a pasting

Unread 08-11-2019, 12:44 AM
utd99

I think Mata is the way to go while Pogba’s out. Obviously his best days are behind him, but if we can surround him with the legs he no longer has then it might not hurt as much as carrying two or three geriatrics in the team. Lingard and Pereira just don’t have the creativity or vision in them and we need goals in this team.

Unread 08-11-2019, 12:48 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think Mata is the way to go while Pogba’s out. Obviously his best days are behind him, but if we can surround him with the legs he no longer has then it might not hurt as much as carrying two or three geriatrics in the team. Lingard and Pereira just don’t have the creativity or vision in them and we need goals in this team.
The approach play from Martial and Mata for the second Rashy chance was lovely.

With the shite we play I don’t know how anyone can watch a few bits of class from Mata and not at least respect what he can do.

Unread 08-11-2019, 01:42 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

With the shite we play I don’t know how anyone can watch a few bits of class from Mata and not at least respect what he can do.
I guess it’s too easy to get caught up in the fact that he’s slow as shit and weak as piss. He still knows how to play the game though, and he’s got the pass in him, so that makes him the best alternative to Pogba in that advanced role atm. Lingard and Pereira are just not good enough to be starting for United, simple as.

You surround him with youth, energy and movement and he’ll be fine.

Unread 08-11-2019, 01:59 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
One stand out thing from tonight...

Mata is finished
That's your takeaway. Thought he fitted in well. Might be our best option there right now.

Great forward play in first half. Defence though. Against a decent team Maguire would have given away a couple of goals. Looked drunk tonight. Then he had the cheek to pull up Fred after Rashford's goal. In fairness though, Fred should stop that no look pass backwards. He gives away possession in a dangerous position at least once a game.

Unread 08-11-2019, 02:18 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I guess it’s too easy to get caught up in the fact that he’s slow as shit and weak as piss. He still knows how to play the game though, and he’s got the pass in him, so that makes him the best alternative to Pogba in that advanced role atm. Lingard and Pereira are just not good enough to be starting for United, simple as.

Agreed. Especially against Brighton on Sunday I'd say it would be a bit mental not to play him ahead of the other two.

Unread 08-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Casanova85

Quote:
Agreed.

Unread 08-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Absolutely this.

Unread 08-11-2019, 10:31 AM
AK14

Quote:

It’s a yes from me too.

With Fred and McTom behind him and stick James on the right.

Unread 08-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Soviet

I dont believe Mata is the solution to Pogba's absence. He's not the right player for this team, never has been, and stars need to align for him to be effective because teams more often than not negate him easily. Putting quick youth around him because hes tiny and slow sounds like an idea, but it rarely works out well.

We end up with majority of the side camped around our own box, with huge spaces to the attack. We dont transition, we hit and hope for a miracle.

This side is a can of worms, where do you start, but I think we should be encouraging The Scottish Player to drive forward first and foremost, because he can, and he's got a goal in him. I'd be tempted to have Pereira in a midfield 3, but along with Fred, it feels like i'm making a rod for my own back. But i've hated how we've often shaped up with Mata in the side. Think id rather hope Pereira and Fred find something within themselves.

Unread 08-11-2019, 12:59 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
I dont believe Mata is the solution to Pogba's absence. He's not the right player for this team, never has been, and stars need to align for him to be effective because teams more often than not negate him easily. Putting quick youth around him because hes tiny and slow sounds like an idea, but it rarely works out well.

We end up with majority of the side camped around our own box, with huge spaces to the attack. We dont transition, we hit and hope for a miracle.

This side is a can of worms, where do you start, but I think we should be encouraging The Scottish Player to drive forward first and foremost, because he can, and he's got a goal in him. I'd be tempted to have Pereira in a midfield 3, but along with Fred, it feels like i'm making a rod for my own back. But i've hated how we've often shaped up with Mata in the side. Think id rather hope Pereira and Fred find something within themselves.
It’s less about him being the perfect solution than looking at how poor the alternatives are tbh. You simply cannot pick players in that role who don’t score and can’t create; running about a lot isn’t enough.

Unread 08-11-2019, 01:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet

It’s 2-5 signings and a bit of tinkering from greatness apparently..

Mata btw

Unread 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Mata btw
Knew you wouldn’t be able to resist forever.

Unread 08-11-2019, 01:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Knew you wouldn’t be able to resist forever.
Jus an hilarious shout, thought you were after a smiley

Unread 08-11-2019, 01:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Jus an hilarious shout, thought you were after a smiley
I was hoping for a rolley.

There are areas of this team where we simply don’t have any good options, only bad and worse ones.

Unread 08-11-2019, 01:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
I was hoping for a rolley.

There are areas of this team where we simply don’t have any good options, only bad and worse ones.
Sadly you’re absolutely right. Stick any sort of adept attacking midfielder with a bit of energy and strength in place of Pereira/Lingard/Mata and you’d have a half decent midfield/attack. Lingard has gone off a cliff, not even worth keeping as a squad option anymore, don’t think there’s any way back for him.

If we could combine our 3 into 1 we might have a decent player.

Unread 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM
red in cumbria

Mata is still better than the alternatives we have right now, old and slow as he is.

Unread 08-11-2019, 07:09 PM
otbarney

I thought Mata did alright last night.

Unread 08-11-2019, 07:13 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
I thought Mata did alright last night.
Yeah, but haterz gonna hate