United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Indeed, don't expect nothing less from that website considering it's massively ABU.
Remember it slating Anderson the other week for £#%&! all.
The day after the liverpool game it was like a shrine to Arsenal, it's £#%&!ing stupid.

Unread 11-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Paul Mcgrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy36
Article on F365:

http://football365.com/story/0,17033...407596,00.html

The PFA have announced the nominees for their Player of the Year awards, and the usual suspects are there.

The fact that this was voted for in January will account for the presence of Emmanuel Adebayor over Rio Ferdinand, but it's tricky to argue with the other candidates.

Of course Cristiano Ronaldo is going to win, and you don't need us to tell you he's been the best player in the country, nay continent, this season.

However, should that be the primary criteria for a Players' Player of the Year? Should the players not pick a fellow professional who provides 'an example' to the rest of them?

Ronaldo is going to get enough praise this season (not least from assorted easily-impressed floosies in the Manchester area) without his contemporaries giving his already mammoth ego a good rub too. Should the recognition of the best player not be left to those who observe the game, namely fans and writers?

This is an award given by the Professional Footballers' Association, so the award should recognise the outstanding professional of the season.

In that case, it should surely go to David James.

As recently as 2005 James was a national laughing stock. Having not managed to shake off the old 'calamity' tag, James came on at half-time of an England friendly in Denmark, and obligingly handed the Danes four goals, later claiming that he hadn't prepared properly.

At that stage there seemed no way back, especially with the likes of Paul Robinson, Chris Kirkland and Scott Carson seemingly coming through to consign him to the international knacker's yard.

However, since then James has completely changed his outlook on the game, and has benefitted hugely. At that stage James was 35, and could quite easily have shrugged and reasoned that he'd had a decent career. He'd played for big clubs, won a good few caps, played at the European Championships - he had a good innings. Why bother changing now?

But change he did, and thanks to those changes has now reached the stage where he has unquestionably been not only the outstanding English keeper in the Premier League this season, but the outstanding goalkeeper. Full stop.

At 37, James has presented such an unanswerable case for his inclusion in the England side that nobody really complained when he was recalled in place of the younger Robinson and Carson for Fabio Capello's first two national sides. That had a lot to do with the relative ineptitude of the other two, but we felt we were literally in safe hands.

That is the sort of example to his fellow professionals that should not only be applauded, but awarded too.

Ronaldo, Torres and Fabregas will get their adulation and praise elsewhere. James should be recognised for the true professional he is.

Full list of nominees

PFA Player Of The Year: Cristiano Ronaldo, Emmanuel Adebayor, Cesc Fabregas, Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and David James.

PFA Young Player Of The Year: Cristiano Ronaldo, Cesc Fabregas, Emmanuel Adebayor, Gabby Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and Micah Richards.

Nick Miller

Are they actually serious?

"Of course Cristiano Ronaldo is going to win, and you don't need us to tell you he's been the best player in the country, nay continent, this season.

However, should that be the primary criteria for a Players' Player of the Year?"

Yes, I tend to think when picking a player of the year, the primary category for voting should be, who's been the best player.

Unread 11-04-2008, 01:28 PM
dunk

[quote=Part 36 Offer;889766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

He could, and probably should, have won that award 4 or 5 times.

Does Ronaldo still qualify?

They've probably been left off because it's unfair on the rest.

Anderson isn't on there becasue 90% of the people who aren't United fans don't rate him, at all, believe it or not.[/QUOTE]

not sure about that mate
You wouldn't believe the amount of conversations/debates/arguments I have had this season with rival fans who just don't think he is much kop. I have tried to convert them, but to no avail.

I had a City fan and a Liverpool fan both tell me he is useless and the weak link of the United team this week

I just don't think the rest of the country 'gets' Anderson just yet. I think they'll definitely 'get' him this time next year. You get me?

Unread 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Part 36 Offer

[quote=dunk;889848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

You wouldn't believe the amount of conversations/debates/arguments I have had this season with rival fans who just don't think he is much kop. I have tried to convert them, but to no avail.

I had a City fan and a Liverpool fan both tell me he is useless and the weak link of the United team this week

I just don't think the rest of the country 'gets' Anderson just yet. I think they'll definitely 'get' him this time next year. You get me?
look bredbin break yo'self.

Well I have found the opposite tbh since he put in that performance at Arsenal. I have had plenty of vermin telling me what a player he looks but not many Ciddeh so I suppose i can agree there. That's not surprising though given that half of the dick heads still maintain Ronaldo is a show pony. The newspapers have been glowing in their tributes to him also (especially the broadsheets) so to summise I still have had different experiences really. Kind of like how you go for guys and I go for girls, you get me

Sorry, Im in a strange mood - I blame the flu capsules Iv been nailing all week.

I have even tried to criticise his recent performances and have been met resistance from fans of other teams. Not sure what that is all about. He looks shattered now though imo but put in a better display mid week.

Unread 11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
dunk

[quote=Part 36 Offer;889910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

look bredbin break yo'self.

Well I have found the opposite tbh since he put in that performance at Arsenal. I have had plenty of vermin telling me what a player he looks but not many Ciddeh so I suppose i can agree there. That's not surprising though given that half of the dick heads still maintain Ronaldo is a show pony. The newspapers have been glowing in their tributes to him also (especially the broadsheets) so to summise I still have had different experiences really. Kind of like how you go for guys and I go for girls, you get me

Sorry, Im in a strange mood - I blame the flu capsules Iv been nailing all week.

I have even tried to criticise his recent performances and have been met resistance from fans of other teams. Not sure what that is all about. He looks shattered now though imo but put in a better display mid week.
Fair enough, I wish the dipper fans I know were as intelligent as the new breed you have discovered, the ones I know still swear bling Lucas is the better player/prospect.

Someone said earlier that the press' reaction to him has been a bit of a slow burner, and as the nominations were made in January, I would say it has burnt to slow for this season. Skeen?

Unread 11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Ginners

http://utdforum.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode#quote

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
keano's love

Although we all united fans love anderson, its probably fair enough that most of the league don't rate him as super class yet. A big money signing, they were probably expecting a ronaldinho style flair player. Where as he has turned out to be completely opposite. excellent at positioning, passing, tackling where as he looks like a headless chicken 30 yards around penalty area. That remains in people minds. It doesn't help that he outmuscled,overpowered 2 of the media darlings in gerrard and fabregas.

Hoepfully next year we will see the anderson that showed glimpses of talent for porto and gremio.

I am all for giving awards to flair players. they are the ones that make game entertaining. It was such a damp squid when cannavaro got footballer of the year last season. so for that reason rio exclusion is understandable.

But for the heck of it I don't know what gerrard has done. Actually mascherano has been a more important player for those @#%&!s.

Notable though is the lack of a single chelsea player.

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
I am all for giving awards to flair players.
Really? I'd never have guessed

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM
denis lawless

Robert Mugabe will win it

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
BarryX

sure I read that they chose the nominations in January..I mean whats the £#%&!ing point in that unless its player of the year for 2007 and not 07-08....what a stupid £#%&!ing way to do. £#%&!ing stupid. no Anderson is also stupid stupid stupid...

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Part 36 Offer

[quote=dunk;889919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

Fair enough, I wish the dipper fans I know were as intelligent as the new breed you have discovered, the ones I know still swear bling Lucas is the better player/prospect.

Someone said earlier that the press' reaction to him has been a bit of a slow burner, and as the nominations were made in January, I would say it has burnt to slow for this season. Skeen?

I agree mate I was mainly talking about the fan thing. I mean twas only October/November time when Fergie was thinking of sending him on loan back to Portugal

I bet that greaseball Torres gets it, or Fabreeze. I would rather DJ get it if Ronaldo doesn't. The young player of the year is a £#%&!ing joke.

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:59 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
FFS, look at the Young Players list

Ashley Young
Micah Richards
Gabriel Agbonlahor
That is a £#%&!ing scandal.

WTF has Richards..........no, I'm not doing it.

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:59 PM
borsuk

rio not there says it all, really. hleb and flamini have both been better for arsenal than fabregas over the whole of the season, and adebayor has lost it big time in the last month or so. mascherano has been better than gerrard this year, overall. torres, fair enough. can't argue with james there but if he's there then vds should be as well. he's been immaculate this year.

young - anderson not there? arf.

Unread 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Indeed, don't expect nothing less from that website considering it's massively ABU.
Remember it slating Anderson the other week for £#%&! all.
Football wise its shite on that site.Only good for pictures,photoshops and daft stories.

Unread 11-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
rio not there says it all, really. hleb and flamini have both been better for arsenal than fabregas over the whole of the season, and adebayor has lost it big time in the last month or so. mascherano has been better than gerrard this year, overall. torres, fair enough. can't argue with james there but if he's there then vds should be as well. he's been immaculate this year.

young - anderson not there? arf.
good post that. Hleb has been outstanding.

Unread 11-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
No stand out moments for Anderson.

The players are led by media hype just like everyone else. They will usually play against a player twice in a season, so they are basing their judgement off paper reports etc.

The media in Englang have no subtlety when it comes to Football reporting, no in depth analysis, score a goal and that gets you a good write up. Think back to Scholes retiring from England, he was the only one in the team who could knit play together and get the team passing intelligently, but they chose to focus on his lack of goals.

They then try a midfield of Gerrard and Lampard, not ability to controla game but plenty of highlight material between them.

Back to Anderson, scored 0 goals, very few assists, his improving reputation has been a slow burn affair. Individual players may have been impressed but he has no constantly repeated highlights.

Long winded way of saying that the players are idiots who allow the media to set the agenda.
Spot on, Sir. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Closed Thread