United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-02-2023, 12:10 PM
Arabian Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
https://twitter.com/unitedstandmufc/...KmPjPL9ow6tICD

The friendly face of it all, to squeeze around the conflict of interest.

Seems a good lad. Nice to have him on board.

Unread 21-02-2023, 12:27 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Will probably lose interest in the PL if we’re bought by these lads. Success is no success at all if it doesn’t feel earned. We’ll be no different from the oil clubs we’ve spent years criticising. What a shame it’s come to this.
So you would rather owners who pillage and use our club as a personal cash cow? very odd.

Unread 21-02-2023, 12:33 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
So you would rather owners who pillage and use our club as a personal cash cow? very odd.
Yeah that’s what I said

I’d rather we didn’t jump out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. I acknowledged that it’s likely not possible to find owners who are genuine fans of the club with the kind of money necessary to buy us, and that’s an indictment of the modern game. You can be ok with that, but I’m not.

Not wanting Qatari owners does not equate to being happy with the Glazers. It’s odd that you’d take what I’m saying to mean that tbh.

Unread 21-02-2023, 12:40 PM
Arabian Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
He keeps waffling on about how Qatar will buy every trophy

The club will be self sufficient and any money earned will be spent on the team exactly how it should be.

The big Qatar money will be spent on the stadium and infrastructure.

They will be excellent owners but certain people can't look past well you know what.

Unread 21-02-2023, 12:54 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabian Red
They will be excellent owners but certain people can't look past well you know what.
what?

funding terrorism?

dead construction workers?

women's rights?

environmental disaster?

bad driving?

poor selection of craft beers?

they don't like dogs?

Unread 21-02-2023, 12:55 PM
Arabian Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
what?

funding terrorism?

women's rights?

environmental disaster?

bad driving?

they don't like dogs?

That the UK or Qatar?

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:04 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
what?

funding terrorism?

women's rights?

environmental disaster?

bad driving?

they don't like dogs?

Whoah... is this a thing? Could be the red flag I've been missing.

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:08 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Come on over Shenners

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:11 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Massively

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:33 PM
believe

They love dogs. It’s part of their religion.

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:34 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
https://twitter.com/unitedstandmufc/...KmPjPL9ow6tICD

The friendly face of it all, to squeeze around the conflict of interest.
On the other hand...

Quote:
“Has Sheikh Jassim earned $5billion in his career? Probably not but his father is the key figure in this. Who knows what his net worth really is — it would be pure speculation (for what it is worth, the 2022 Sunday Times Rich List had it at just over £2billion, a number many believe is very, very conservative).

“The most contentious question in any Gulf state is where does state money end and private money start? A government budget is published every year but that’s just what the government spends — it’s only a small percentage of the total income from oil and gas.

“Qatar has obviously done very well from high energy prices. All that money has come in but where does it go? That’s the politically contentious question.”

Sheikh Jassim’s spokespeople are not speaking on the record, either, but they have privately stressed his bid is not connected to the state, the sovereign wealth fund or PSG. They say it is his money, in his foundation, and he wants to spend it on his club.

And The Athletic has spoken to one Gulf expert who agrees.

“I wouldn’t necessarily see this as a ‘Qatari’ bid,” says Gerd Nonneman, a professor of international relations and Gulf studies at Georgetown University in Qatar.

“Sheikh Jassim doesn’t hold any government positions, nor, indeed, has his father done for many years. Much of the son’s fortune is based on his father’s wealth, which is thought to run into the billions, further enhanced by his own involvement in QIB and other business ventures.

“So, contrary to the investments in Bayern Munich (a Qatar Airways sponsorship deal) or PSG, which were done by entities that were largely funded by the state and/or very senior members of the ruling family, this case is different.

“Of course, we don’t know who else, apart from HBJ, might have a stake in Sheikh Jassim’s Nine Two investment vehicle, but there doesn’t seem to be any controlling stake by any government entity of any of the actual ruling group.”

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
On the other hand...
Gerd Nonneman?

Quote:
Gerd Nonneman is a Professor of International Relations and Gulf Studies at the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University's campus in Qatar where he served as Dean from 2011 to 2016
I'm sure his opinion is completely independent.

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:43 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Gerd Nonneman?

I'm sure his opinion is completely independent.
He's no Patty B that's for sure.

Unread 21-02-2023, 01:46 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
He's no Patty B that's for sure.

Quote:
Qatar is pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into top academic institutions in the UK and US, since the beginning of 2012 to June this year, according to a Financial Times analysis of the US education department’s Foreign Gifts and Contracts Report.

...data from US Department of Education shows that Qatar has given about $1 billion to elite American universities since 2011.

It states that Doha is seeking to gain political influence in Washington by funding academic institutions like Georgetown University, “which is situated in the seat of power, near the State Department, and its experts are frequently cited by groups shaping policy”.

Still, many US universities are refusing to reveal the conditions attached to the money they have received from Qatar.

For its part, the Qatar Foundation has itself filed a lawsuit against Texas attorney general on 12 October 2018 to hide information about a massive $225 million donation the country has awarded to Texas A&M University since 2011.

It is also reported that university funding is only one of the multi-pronged public relations exercise launched by Qatar, which includes doling out millions to lobbyists and public relations firms in the US. The vast majority of funds from Qatar were contracts, the Education Department data shows, requiring Georgetown to do something in return for the money, unlike gifts.

The university operations by Qatar are just one prong in a massive public relations and influence push that includes millions to lobbyists and public relations firms in the US. The list of institutions bought by Qatar in whole or in part includes several well-known international bodies that used to enjoy international respect.
I'm sure Gerd has no reason to be toeing the party line for the state of Qatar. No siree...

Unread 21-02-2023, 02:06 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Phew, that God (Allah) for Sheikh Bellers on the ground intel. Was worried for a minute.

Unread 21-02-2023, 02:07 PM
believe

Quote:
Phew, that God (Allah) for Sheikh Bellers on the ground intel. Was worried for a minute.
No problem pal just like to share the truth about the Middle East rather than what people have read in the guardian.

Unread 21-02-2023, 02:09 PM
no fun

Squires

https://www.theguardian.com/football...chester-united

Unread 21-02-2023, 02:17 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabian Red
That the UK or Qatar?
don't judge all of us by scotland.

Quote:
they do not love dogs. soz. also, they do not generally follow their religion in quite the way you suggest, even if it were part of their religion (which it isn't - they're not supposed to be cruel to them, but they are considered unclean, tools at most and not companions). next, you'll be saying christians are charitable.

Quote:
No problem pal just like to share the truth about the Middle East rather than what people have read in the guardian.
I don't read the £#%&!ing guardian, you idiot. I've been to qatar more times than you've had hot dinner dates.

Unread 21-02-2023, 02:20 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
don't judge all of us by scotland.

they do not love dogs. soz. also, they do not generally follow their religion in quite the way you suggest, even if it were part of their religion (which it isn't - they're not supposed to be cruel to them, but they are considered unclean, tools at most and not companions). next, you'll be saying christians are charitable.

I don't read the £#%&!ing guardian, you idiot. I've been to qatar more times than you've had hot dinner dates.
i doubt it but who am I to argue.

Unread 21-02-2023, 02:21 PM
jem

Quote:
i doubt it but who am I to argue.
post the photos or retract!
Closed Thread